• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

The important question is... IS THE BEER STILL SAFE?!?!?!

hahaha that's the REAL question
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

I've worked many, many years in food service. This is minor. Just saying.

Care to share any horror stories that will help us feel better about this?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Please don't. I enjoy the occasional fast food meal haha
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#24 Blood On The Ice

Blood On The Ice

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Its not just Detroit and its not just at sporting events. Every city has the problem and its at many of the restaurants you enjoy.

#25 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well good thing I have a stomach of steel...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

yeah, I think it doesn't matter where you eat. when someone else prepares your food you always take that risk.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#27 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Going to go out on a limb and say that is probably not a whole lot better.

Cleanliness... absolutely better. Price wise, better but still over priced. Chelios may be wealthy but I think you are out of line to spread rumors about his establishment without warrant. Something like that can ruin a restaurant if it gets out of hand. Think of all the workers that would end up unemployed from his three locations?

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

No particular horror stories. Just imagine the next time that you are cooking in your home what would happen if inspectors came in. The rules are strict for a reason, and they change a lot.

I once worked in a place where we got cited for storing the ice scoop in a bucket next to the machine. Code was that it had to be stored in the machine so that it wouldn't bring in contaminants from the surrounding area.

The next year we were cited for storing the scoop in the machine. Code was that it had to be stored next to the machine so that it wouldn't contaminate the inside of the machine.

Yeah, the code reversed itself twice in two years. You don't find these things out until the inspector arrives.

No biggie if a place has an infraction or two, unless it is a major one.

I'll bet that the guy scooping ice with his hands was a bartender. I've seen it done many times in bars.

One final thought, now that I've settled your stomachs... think of how many teenage kids work in fast food. 'Nuf said.

#29 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Beer is the only overpriced item I purchase at Wings games. Cant afford to do both..
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#30 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

now that I think about it, I probably break tons of rules when im cooking lol
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Beer is the only overpriced item I purchase at Wings games. Cant afford to do both..

For $8.50 a pop, it had better be from an authentic German cask. :rolleyes:

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Come on now...honestly is anyone really that surprised about The Joe having roaches? Old, dark and dingy etc this place is just screaming for bugs, rats, birds and any other critters around.

"Inspectors spotted an employee scooping ice with his bare hands instead of using scoops."

That is the sh!t I hate. People that don't wash their hands or picking their noise or ears...ewww.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 26 July 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Come on now...honestly is anyone really that surprised about The Joe having roaches? Old, dark and dingy etc this place is just screaming for bugs, rats, birds and any other critters around.

That is the sh!t I hate. People that don't wash their hands or picking their noise or ears...ewww.

They already have had a bird flying around on the ice a few years back :cool:

#34 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

The important question is... IS THE BEER STILL SAFE?!?!?!

beer will kill anything that drifts into it, but it isn't like the beer they sell is meant to taste good so i don't know how it could possibly affect the beer, I doubt they clean their taplines that well for the draft beers, canned beers probably sit in some ultra hot room until the day of game when they are chilled.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

beer will kill anything that drifts into it, but it isn't like the beer they sell is meant to taste good so i don't know how it could possibly affect the beer, I doubt they clean their taplines that well for the draft beers, canned beers probably sit in some ultra hot room until the day of game when they are chilled.

No homebrew beers at the Joe....only brews I know of are Molson Canadian and Miller Lite. Are there any others?

#36 Branton87

Branton87

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

No homebrew beers at the Joe....only brews I know of are Molson Canadian and Miller Lite. Are there any others?

I was there for Oktoberfest night at the Joe this last season and they had some Oktoberfest flavor beer or something like that. I stuck to good old Molson XXX though. XXX has a high alcohol content so I got the most bang for the buck.

Edit: And here's the picture of one of them. Looks pretty clean to me. Posted Image

Edited by Branton87, 26 July 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#37 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

They have a spot for Leinenkugel's too. I believe they sell it in the Cheli's Chili inside. Might I add its an exquisite beer. Summer Shandy is just so so good. I suggest it to anyone.

I was there for Oktoberfest night at the Joe this last season and they had some Oktoberfest flavor beer or something like that. I stuck to good old Molson XXX though. XXX has a high alcohol content so I got the most bang for the buck.

Edit: And here's the picture of one of them. Looks pretty clean to me. Posted Image

I want that to be the background to my computer and phone... Just need to get more of the ice in the background and that will be 2 of my fave things in this whole world :thumbup:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#38 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

It's pretty simple. It's like a lot of government / business things... They get a fine, a slap on the wrist, but the infraction was not serious enough to shut them down. In the business you sorta have to expect it, and the big corporations sorta plan for it.

Roaches at the Joe to me is to be expected. You serve food commercially out of a space in a building that old... they are there. Places already in operation often get grandfather clauses to updates in food and code. Roaches at Ford field would be a different thing. You have to consider the advances in design and planning for all these things over the years.

Cleaning chemicals are typically (I'm not familiar with Wayne County's specifics) by law to be stored in a separate room from the kitchen. Someone was lazy and left a can of spray cleaner in the wrong place. I can see this being common in stadiums, as they most likely have a central cleaning chemical storage room (or 2), rather than individual closets for each kitchen.

The ice with the hands was probably from a heavily used central unit feeding several smaller ice bins, not in public view at all. Most ice machines are not in public view. It's also a pretty common occurrence when someone is in a rush and not thinking. More sickening is most companies never clean their ice bins, which have lots of moisture and toxic metals (copper) in their construction. Michigan State learned about this the hard way something like 20 yrs ago.

They are mostly run by large concession companies who do corporate lunch rooms and the like. They come in, set standards, and hire the cheapest labor possible to follow them. They expect the fines, but the systems and kitchen designs keep them from being shut down.

If you know what rules you can break and which you can't (the corporations do), you can get away with all sorts of things (like never buying sanitizer, think about that).

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 26 July 2010 - 02:36 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#39 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Cleanliness... absolutely better. Price wise, better but still over priced. Chelios may be wealthy but I think you are out of line to spread rumors about his establishment without warrant. Something like that can ruin a restaurant if it gets out of hand. Think of all the workers that would end up unemployed from his three locations?

Have you personally been in the kitchen and worked there?

I am not saying one thing in particular except the fact that it is a restaurant. If people knew what went on in ANY restaurant they would probably think twice before eating there. It doesn't matter if it's McDonalds or a five star $100 a plate place. There will ALWAYS be things that you wish weren't going on in a restaurant.

#40 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Uh, guys, why do you think you pay 3 times as much? It's for that extra kick.