• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Rangers Sign Frolov

Rate this topic

Overpayment? How?

If I think of other players paid in the $3-4 million range, I can't think of many that Frolov isn't better than.

i'm with wings3:16 on this one. overpayment. he's been getting progressively worse every year. next year, with a rangers team with a recent history of snakebitten offensive production frolov will probably end the 10/11 season with 47 points. write this down, save it...who cares, but this kids laziness and his attitude/work ethic is gonna have him in the KHL sooner than later. 3+ mil per season should be reserved for elite 1 way offensive players or guys that chip in with offensive and defense. that's why flip is worth the money for the wings, and he's getting better...not worse.

i'm with wings3:16 on this one. overpayment. he's been getting progressively worse every year. next year, with a rangers team with a recent history of snakebitten offensive production frolov will probably end the 10/11 season with 47 points. write this down, save it...who cares, but this kids laziness and his attitude/work ethic is gonna have him in the KHL sooner than later. 3+ mil per season should be reserved for elite 1 way offensive players or guys that chip in with offensive and defense. that's why flip is worth the money for the wings, and he's getting better...not worse.

That is who you think should be paid $3 million, but when you look around the league at who is paid $3 million or more, Frolov at $3 million does not equal overpayment if you ask me.

I understand your argument and I agree that he is lazy and may wind up in the KHL some year down that line, but you need to consider that this is only a 1 year deal.

Also, Flip's offensive production doesn't even compare to Frolov's, so suggesting he is worth it more because of his defensive game and improving, etc. doesn't really fly with me.

If you think about it, Flip's best year for goals was 19 (this equals Frolov's worst year apart from his 14 goal rookie year). Flip's career best for points is 40. Over the past 5 years, Frolov has averaged better than 26 goals and 60 pts. He also hasn't gotten worse every year. He's down a little bit the last couple years, but he's still put up more than 50pts for 5 years in a row, 48 pts the year before that.

If your prediction is true and he only puts up 47pts, I think that will still more quite a bit more than other players being paid $3 million.

Frolov-Prospal-Gaborik

Anisimov-Dubinsky-Callahan

Avery-Drury-Christensen

Boogaard-Prust-B.Boyle

Redden-Rozsival(?)

Girardi-M.Staal(?)

Del Zotto-Gilroy

I'm not very familiar with the Rangers' cap situation,but do they have any space left to re-sign Marc Staal?

It would leave about $2 million for Staal, assuming no other changes.

Might be a slight overpayment by a couple hundred thousand, but if you're the Rangers you definitely love this signing, because they need all the help they can get.

That being said, the Rangers are almost entirely made up of talented players who underperform.

I dont get why people are saying overpayment here. I mean i see their points when they say his play production has gone down each year, but this guy is still very young and will be on the first line for the rangers probably. I think hes going to be pretty good for the Rangers and 3 million is a pretty small price to pay for that kind of player. I mean look around the league there are a ton of guys making that price for much less production. I think thats a pretty good caphit for a player like that. I know LA was a good team last year, but i think he will have a pretty solid year playing on the first line in New York.

That is who you think should be paid $3 million, but when you look around the league at who is paid $3 million or more, Frolov at $3 million does not equal overpayment if you ask me.

I understand your argument and I agree that he is lazy and may wind up in the KHL some year down that line, but you need to consider that this is only a 1 year deal.

Also, Flip's offensive production doesn't even compare to Frolov's, so suggesting he is worth it more because of his defensive game and improving, etc. doesn't really fly with me.

If you think about it, Flip's best year for goals was 19 (this equals Frolov's worst year apart from his 14 goal rookie year). Flip's career best for points is 40. Over the past 5 years, Frolov has averaged better than 26 goals and 60 pts. He also hasn't gotten worse every year. He's down a little bit the last couple years, but he's still put up more than 50pts for 5 years in a row, 48 pts the year before that.

If your prediction is true and he only puts up 47pts, I think that will still more quite a bit more than other players being paid $3 million.

this just brings up another relevant point in the NHL. what makes a player worth 3 mil? the salary cap was brought in to keep players contracts in perspective. owners are telling GM's they want a player and telling them to wave money in their face. arbitrators are also overpaying some players. NHL stars are also overpaid due to the fact that supporting casts make a team successful, not the 1 or 2 guys putting up 100 pts and the next guy on the team pots 50 pts and expects 4 mil/year.

most teams are up against the cap and trying to shave salary because they throw money around without real thought...campbell, briere etc.

how much do i currently think frolov is worth? 2mil/year. am i glad holland didn't get any ideas and try to sign him? yes.

all this talk about discounts the wings get with players is absurd. holland manages the cap properly and pays most players what they are worth. other GM's should take note. not go out and throw offer sheets to guys like penner 4mil/year as an RFA. it's s*** like that that's making it hard for anyone to predict what a player is worth.

finally someone to help gabby.

they def need to get on staal though. i wouldnt mind him being on the wings though. i think hes a helleva shut down dman

kings making room for kovyyyy

Edited by brett

Guest Crymson

Overpayment.... ?? Frolov > Cleary or Fippula

Umm... do know anything about Frolov? His production decreased dramatically last year, he's as lazy as Lang/Zherdev etc., he is horrible defensively, and he was benched last year for stretches due to lack of effort and production.

Fil's PPG of last year was almost equal to Frolov's. Fil is excellent defensively; Frolov is terrible. Fil gives 100% effort every game; Frolov is lazy. Fil is a proven playoff performer; Frolov is not.

I'll take Filppula, thanks. Go root for the Rangers, and I'll laugh when Frolov's laziness and general indifference to defense make you bang your head against the wall on a regular basis.

Overpayment by Sather's standards? No, it's a good deal, taking into account some of his other signings (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Boogaard).

Whether it is overpayment by league-wide standards is a different matter. But who knows? Surely Sather has got to get some of his decisions right... (I wonder if Gaborik will stay healthy this year too?)

The Rags need to ask the Wings to teach them how to assemble a team with chemistry that can win.

But not a bad signing, for the Rangers. Not really an overpayment, it's on par with the rest of the league. And who knows, with a new environment Frolov could thrive. But probably not with the attitude of the Rangers locker room.

Problem with bringing Frolov to a team with a lot of underperformers is that he might fall into that same trap. I truly hope he doesn't but to be honest, with this team, it's not looking good.

And when it comes to the rest of the team, there's nothing exciting there. I'll most likely be proven wrong because that's usually how it works but I don't see them going anywhere until the Drury and Redden contracts are finished. Those two have a total cap hit of $13.5M which is insane.