• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Part of me would be stoked and another part of me would be like "meh, been there, done that."

I loved the whole "once in a lifetime" aspect of the game which made it so enjoyable to watch. By far the best WC game so far, even though it probably was boring towards the end as a Hawks fan.

Being a fan, I'd prolly be less annoyed. However, I would still think it's unfair to the league.

In both cases (hypothetical & actual), it definitely takes away from the nostalgia of the event.

It's kinda lame of them to repeat a team but if you're really a hockey fan, there's no way you can't be excited by the match-up. If I had nothing else going on, watching the Pens-Caps rivalry seems like a great way to pass the time. They have really talented players on both sides that should make for a great game. Boycotting it is lame, especially if you think it's gonna affect the ratings. You need to sign up and have some hardware installed on your TV if you want to be part of the viewer polls.

It's kinda lame of them to repeat a team but if you're really a hockey fan, there's no way you can't be excited by the match-up. If I had nothing else going on, watching the Pens-Caps rivalry seems like a great way to pass the time. They have really talented players on both sides that should make for a great game. Boycotting it is lame, especially if you think it's gonna affect the ratings. You need to sign up and have some hardware installed on your TV if you want to be part of the viewer polls.

I think there's a difference between a "hockey fan" and an "NHL fan". Outside of watching pretty much every Wings game. I watch more college hockey than watching NHL games featuring other teams unless were talking NHL playoffs.

I'm not watching it either. I guess Bettman still hasn't realized Crosby isn't liked outside Pittsburgh and some parts of Canada. Man the NHL is stubborn and doesn't know how to market themselves properly! Cash in on the USA Olympic Team's success and the Chicago-Philly Stanley Cup Final you morons, quit this Crosby crap already!

I think there's a difference between a "hockey fan" and an "NHL fan". Outside of watching pretty much every Wings game. I watch more college hockey than watching NHL games featuring other teams unless were talking NHL playoffs.

I don't see how you could like hockey and not be somewhat interested in how a match-up between Ovechkin/Semin would fare against Crosby/Malkin. That is an exciting game. Do you watch the Wings just because of the city they are from, or are you watching because it's interesting to see how the game unfolds? Knowing the attributes of Wings players and how it factors into the progression of the game is just icing on the cake. I would argue a hockey fan would usually be interested in how a game unfolds between two highly skilled teams.

I'm even finding the Ovechkin stuff annoying too. Enough Crosby and Ovechkin! This game is guaranteed to have high ratings, why doesn't the NHL use it to market their other stars?

Washington and Pittsburgh has been done already, two years ago in the playoffs.

I don't see how you could like hockey and not be somewhat interested in how a match-up between Ovechkin/Semin would fare against Crosby/Malkin. That is an exciting game. Do you watch the Wings just because of the city they are from, or are you watching because it's interesting to see how the game unfolds? Knowing the attributes of Wings players and how it factors into the progression of the game is just icing on the cake. I would argue a hockey fan would usually be interested in how a game unfolds between two highly skilled teams.

That is some seriously hockey elitist drivel right here. We're still talking about a regular season game here right? SO are you saying if you don't watch every regular season game that one is not a "hockey fan"? Ovie/Semin ,Cindy/Malkin we've never seen that before! The suspense is killing me!!!!! What will happen? Despite frostbite, will Cindy and Ovie each have a hattrick? Will it go to a shootout? YAY! FIND OUT IN THE NEXT WINTER CLASSIC!

And again, there you go with the "hockey fan" crap. I'm not much of an "NHL fan" right now. I don't like the way the direction of the league is going with Bettman at the helm. But I'm still enough of a "hockey fan" that I make damn sure I watch my hometeam because I love them no matter what. On the other hand I am such a "hockey fan" that I will even watch NHL playoff games featuring other teams as well despite hating Gary Bettman's new watered down NHL!

Edited by Johnny Diamonds

:blink:

I watch the Red Wings because I'm a Red Wings fan. If I wasn't, I wouldn't watch/listen to their games, post on their message board, follow the players, read news about them, etc. I don't give a rat's ass about Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins or frankly, any other team in the league unless we're playing them. Then I care as they're our opponent. If they're not, I'm not bothered. The only reason I watched the SCF this year was because of my dad. Had the Hawks not been in them, I wouldn't have watched. The Wings are the only team I care about.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I wonder how many of the "Boycott the WC" people would still be saying boycott if it were the Wings getting a second shot.

It sounds to me like most dislike the fact that it's a repeated team.

There's a few who say they wouldn't cause the wings aren't playing, but that makes them part of the percentage of fans who only watch their team.

I already stated my personal answer to this already question, but since you didn't read that... you probably won't read this either.

I'm not watching it either. I guess Bettman still hasn't realized Crosby isn't liked outside Pittsburgh and some parts of Canada. Man the NHL is stubborn and doesn't know how to market themselves properly! Cash in on the USA Olympic Team's success and the Chicago-Philly Stanley Cup Final you morons, quit this Crosby crap already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

Guest Shoreline

I'm not watching a day filled of NBC creaming itself over Sidney (yet again).

There were plenty of other teams and locations that haven't had the chance, that are more deserving.

ranting.gifranting.gifranting.gif

Edit: This is not a Crosby topic. This is about how unfair it is for pits to be repeatedly thrown in the spotlight.

Actually, it is a Crosby topic, even if it's also about Pittsburgh, because you singled him out in the very first sentence. Hey guise I wanted to just ***** and moan about fast food but this isn't about McDonalds..

In all seriousness, Pittsburgh being in the spotlight is no different than our beloved Wings being in this same spotlight for many years. A good sum of fans have trouble coming to grips with the fact that the Wings can't have the spotlight forever. That's why you enjoy the time you get to see the Wings.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Actually, it is a Crosby topic, even if it's also about Pittsburgh, because you singled him out in the very first sentence. Hey guise I wanted to just ***** and moan about fast food but this isn't about McDonalds..

In all seriousness, Pittsburgh being in the spotlight is no different than our beloved Wings being in this same spotlight for many years. A good sum of fans have trouble coming to grips with the fact that the Wings can't have the spotlight forever. That's why you enjoy the time you get to see the Wings.

Not responding to the first part... thread is about my dislike of Pittsburgh double dipping in something that's supposed to be special, when other teams haven't had a chance.

Pittsburgh is in the spotlight because the NHL keeps putting them there (instead of the other 29 teams).

I can't speak for everybody, but probably highly untrue. The amount of attention that Pitt/you know who gets is pretty absurd, much more absurd when people in here often went nuts over and over again on ESPN/ABC frothing at the mouth every time at Peter Forseberg during his prime years, whether it was fair/justified or not. This is never going to change despite you trying to call people out on it every time.

Would a part of me be thrilled if the Wings went to another outdoor game? Well duh, yeah b/c I'm a Wings fan, but I'm not an idiot and would realize that it would be totally unfair to just about all the other teams who haven't played in one yet.

Yes, I get that the NHL is in it for ratings. Well, sometimes you also got to do what is "right". I don't really follow the NBA but I think it's a safe guess that plenty of people who follow the NBA plenty are absolutely sick and tired of Lebron James talk right now. I certainly am That's the same way with NHL fans/you know who. And getting new fans to just focus on you know who/one team just wears itself out. Focus on other star players/good teams as well. There's only so many new fans you can get from just one player/team focus.

As for the game itself if I do watch it it is going to be muted because if I play a drinking game and heard you know who's name that day, I'd probably die from over shots. The game will either be muted or I'm watching college football all day since I enjoy that sport and January 1st is arguably the biggest day in college football (in terms of bowl games/the amount of them).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

So we are going to be watching the Cindy game again, not me I will be watching football all day I am so sick of seeing and hearing that little s***s name on ESPN and Versus it just makes me want to barf. So enjoy the game, I will be cheering on teams from the Big Ten :rolleyes:

I can't fault the NHL for doing this. I can however fault them for not doing this one first. You push AO and Sid and you but the Pens and Sabres? I might watch but it doesn't intrigue me as much as past ones. It wouldn't have been a canadian team as some have said so it really doesn't leave you THAT many teams left to pick from. NYC was talked about but isn't there a bowl game going on in NYC that day? So really that leaves the Wild and maybe the Avs as possible teams to host that haven't already? The problem is the Wild aren't any good and people wouldn't watch and the Avs aren't back to where they were 10 years ago yet. Fault the NHL for trying to make money when they are a business? Sorry but I can't fault them for this. It's been great ratings every time and it will be this time they weren't going to turn it away. The NHL wants to show that it can draw in big crowds to get a good tv deal as people have mentioned. Wasn't the vice-president of ESPN at the game at Fenway last year?

Yes, I get that the NHL is in it for ratings. Well, sometimes you also got to do what is "right". I don't really follow the NBA but I think it's a safe guess that plenty of people who follow the NBA plenty are absolutely sick and tired of Lebron James talk right now. I certainly am That's the same way with NHL fans/you know who. And getting new fans to just focus on you know who/one team just wears itself out. Focus on other star players/good teams as well. There's only so many new fans you can get from just one player/team focus.

Very off topic, but in a weak Southern Market why not push Getzlaf? Always liked him so other people I imagine would as well. Ducks in the WC with Team Iceland... wait no... maybe the Kings. Just tough with their climate but then that raises the question of playing indoors or in the closest possible city climate wise?

EDIT: The Ducks could wear a throwback Mighty Ducks jersey too. The Kings, one from the Gretzky Era.

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Very off topic, but in a weak Southern Market why not push Getzlaf? Always liked him so other people I imagine would as well. Ducks in the WC with Team Iceland... wait no... maybe the Kings. Just tough with their climate but then that raises the question of playing indoors or in the closest possible city climate wise?

EDIT: The Ducks could wear a throwback Mighty Ducks jersey too. The Kings, one from the Gretzky Era.

I don't want them to do an indoor game and I don't think they would. Part of the thing is being outdoors. But that not withstanding, the problem with kings/ducks is that across the US people wouldn't watch it, I don't think. While it might draw some interesting in SoCal, it probably won't anywhere else.