• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

I agree that NBC's love for Cindy is really annoying. But I'm not gonna boycot an exciting game between two good teams just because Crosby happens to be out on the ice. Plus, you can just do what I do; root on Washington and hope they stomp the Pens.

It's not about NBC's love for 87... it's that 87 and his team are back in the winter classic over so many other teams whom haven't had a chance.

Hopefully the attendance is 5,000 and the NHL makes no money and gets no ratings.The NHL Winter Classic has officially been ruined.Well,it was fun while it lasted.Until the NHL features two teams that haven't had a chance to participate in one before,i will never watch an NHL Winter Classic game again.

Because there's something really classic about playing on a frozen pond in Florida. :blink:

Guest CaliWingsNut

Because there's something really classic about playing on a frozen pond in Florida. :blink:

actually.... that would be pretty classic.

Just out of curiousity, how would you guys feel if Detroit got the nod in 2011 WC?

only if it was against the avs, leafs or as of late sharks. old and new rivalries. as much as we all hate the crosby hype and all the bulls*** that follows, there is a great current rivalry between washington and pittsburgh (Ovie and Crosbitch more than the 2 teams, but) so NBC and the NHL are gonna eat that up while it's hot.

personally, i think it would be fair for ALL teams in the NHL if each team got a winter/heritage classic before the teams already involved get another one.

i guess more than anything, i hope Ovie, Mike Green and the Geico caveman run over Cindy and Gyno with the zamboni. that would be worth my afternoon of suffering through another ******* penguins game.

I don't know about anyone else (only read the first page of posts) but it's a new year's DAY game. I will be hungover and not watching anything except the inside of my eyelids :) As far as the teams playing goes.... I don't see a problem with the game being in pittsville. If I recall wasn't the first game in Buffalo with pittsville as away team. I have to accept them getting a home game if I ever want to argue that Detroit deserves a home game. Even though they played an outdoor game they also were the road team. Fair is fair, and the NHL never had any intention of taking the winter classic outside the US. Sorry canada that's just the way it is.

Which is why Canada has the Heritage Classic. And evidently, the NHL will most likely be sticking with 2 games with such titles on an annual basis, or by the number of Canadian teams, we should have it every 2nd year with not necessarily 2 Cdn teams, but 1 Cdn team and a US rival to mix things up every 2nd or 3rd Heritage Classic. I'd drive to Toronto (if i could get tix) to see the laughs get pumped by the Wings.

I'd be fine with Pittsburgh winning as long as the WC curse comes into play later.

You know the curse is on the away team and has nothing to do with the winner or loser. Pitt won the game in buff and lost in the finals, Det won the game in chicago and lost in the finals, Philly lost the game in boston and lost in the finals. All the away teams represented their conference in the finals and lost in their respective year.

So washington would make it to the finals and lose...unless thats what you implied because then pitt wouldn't make it to the finals.

Edited by Sprsquirt7

Still not watching either.

Actually I got tickets today for the March 21st game against Pittsburgh. I want to be a part of the crowd that night that'll be chanting "Crosby Sucks". I'll be wearing my Crosby Sucks t-shirt under my Holmstrom jersey too. When ordering tickets over the phone I told the sales guy about the shirt. He laughed and said, "That's awesome".

Guest CaliWingsNut

They should rename it to the NBC starts broadcasting hockey halfway through the season classic.

I think Crosby is a ding-dong, but the Winter classic is good for the sport's growth. Hockey fans already aware of the game are going to get annoyed by the same team playing again, but new fans to the sport are going to be more interested in seeing the superstars of the game. Right now Crosby and Ovechkin are pretty much the most recognizable guys in the sport, so it makes sense.

I'm going to be watch it, hoping Crosby puts the puck into his own net, but I definitely want to check the game out because it's a fun concept in my eyes.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Boycotting a game? Why? It's hockey outdoors. Should be a good game.

well... since you didn't bother catching up on the thread....

Because the NHL has decided to repeat teams, before allowing other (even original 6 teams) the chance of being part.

I could care less about another sid vs ovie game, much less one planned specifically to hype them over other deserving franchises.

I don't buy this talk about the WC 'growing' hockey. The games are clearly catered to markets where people are already interested in hockey. Yeah you have the whole Crosby-Ovechkin gag reflex this time around but is somebody in Atlanta who dosen't follow hockey really going to care about Philly playing Boston, much less on one of the biggest football dates of the year? Yeah there's always a rating spike but that's because the fans of all the teams who normally wouldn't care about the participating teams are all tuning in to the same game. IF that's really what they were after they'd get teams like the Thrashers or the Panthers directly involved in the event - which NBC won't do anytime soon because they know that it'd be suicide for the ratings. It's completely ridiculous and ass-backwards.

You could have had a genuinely classic matchup like Montreal-Boston and the people who the Classic appeal to in the first place would watch it in droves anyway. But NBC has some kind of hardon for telling Canada off fo the sake of something the event itself by definition dosen't achieve anyway, so instead we get oh-so-classic matchups like Montreal and... Edmonton. Oooh, or Calgary. Remember that one time over 20 years ago when Montreal and Calgary played each other for the Cup? Neither do I. That sure is a legit and relevant rivalry to exploit, right? <_<

Really sucks, there's TWO outdoor games this season and I have no interest whatsoever in seeing either.

Edited by _Kabrok_

I don't buy this talk about the WC 'growing' hockey.

I agree, people already know about hockey. It's not like these games are being seen by people who've never seen hockey before. We live in North America, the media capital of the world! People are either fans, or they aren't.

I do however think the outdoor games are a great idea.

I think what bothers us the most is the fact that a team is playing for the second time before most get a first chance. For me, I'm also boycotting it because I'm sick of having it shoved down my throat that these two are the only teams that matter and their so-called "Stars". Remember, "Star" spelled backwards is "RATS".

There is so much whining in this thread I am tempted to boycott these boards on New Years day.

It'll be like having TWO Christmasses! :D

You know how Chicago seems kind of creepily obsessed ex-girlfriend when it comes to the Wings? Chanting Red Wings suck and whatnot during their Cup celebration...

Yeah, a lot of you guys are that way with the Penguins.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World for hockey? :D

It isn't just Wings fans that are that way towards the Pens by any stretch of the imagination, though. And you seriously can't call the precedent this sets for WC participants anything but ridiculous. Hell, the Heritage Classic is equally as bad in that respect.

Edited by _Kabrok_