• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

And I still won't be watching. :P

Same here. On New Year's Day, I'm taking my Barnes & Noble gift card I asked for and I'm spending the day walking around a bookstore, immersing myself in something infinitely more interesting and pleasurable than watching Sidney Crosby play hockey.

well... since you didn't bother catching up on the thread....

Because the NHL has decided to repeat teams, before allowing other (even original 6 teams) the chance of being part.

I could care less about another sid vs ovie game, much less one planned specifically to hype them over other deserving franchises.

Like I said, it's an outdoor hockey game, doesn't matter which teams are playing cause' I'll still watch it and love it. The NHL would rather have a 2.9 tv rating for Sid vs OV than a 2.1 rating of Lebda vs Gaborik since no one will know who those players are. I hope you didn't get mad when MSU and UofM played their recent outdoor game since they've already had an outdoor game when a lot of other schools have a great hockey tradition.

There is so much whining in this thread I am tempted to boycott these boards on New Years day.

I know right!

Like I said, it's an outdoor hockey game, doesn't matter which teams are playing cause' I'll still watch it and love it. The NHL would rather have a 2.9 tv rating for Sid vs OV than a 2.1 rating of Lebda vs Gaborik since no one will know who those players are.

Um, you seriously think this vague 'anyone' knew who Chris Pronger or Zdeno Chara are last year's WC? If we're going by your logic it'd be Pittsburgh v. Washington every Winter Classic because frankly Crosby and Ovechkin are the *only* players in the League who have anything close to the kind of universal recognizably you apparently demand from the WC.

Maybe you should keep your personal insults to yourself.

Aww, you mad? Guess what, whining about whining is still whining.

Edited by _Kabrok_

Um, you seriously think this vague 'anyone' knew who Chris Pronger or Zdeno Chara are last year's WC? If we're going by your logic it'd be Pittsburgh v. Washington every Winter Classic because frankly Crosby and Ovechkin are the *only* players in the League who have anything close to the kind of universal recognizably you apparently demand from the WC.

Wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd watch it every year. College Football and College hockey have yearly rivalries that are played at other venues every year. It wouldn't be that bad of a tradition ad it'd be quite the cash cow. I like the way you think! I'm glad we're on the same page.

Still not watching either.

Actually I got tickets today for the March 21st game against Pittsburgh. I want to be a part of the crowd that night that'll be chanting "Crosby Sucks". I'll be wearing my Crosby Sucks t-shirt under my Holmstrom jersey too. Wh

en ordering tickets over the phone I told the sales guy about the shirt. He laughed and said, "That's awesome".

That's my birthday. I'm pretty stoked, hoping to load up on some tickets.

Same here. On New Year's Day, I'm taking my Barnes & Noble gift card I asked for and I'm spending the day walking around a bookstore, immersing myself in something infinitely more interesting and pleasurable than watching Sidney Crosby play hockey.

I'm still boycotting it as well. I'm thinking Barnes & Noble for a while, then maybe the local card shop :thumbup:

Not at all, you are simply acting like a child.

Also, I wasn't whining. Simply stating my observations of this board and its obsession to tell the world how much they don't think it's fair that Sidney Crosby gets an outdoor game.

How sad.

Not at all, you are simply acting like a child.

Also, I wasn't whining. Simply stating my observations of this board and its obsession to tell the world how much they don't think it's fair that Sidney Crosby gets an outdoor game.

How sad.

Its Pittsburgh's 2nd Outdoor game, with teams like Minnesota, Toronto, and the Rangers without a chance in the spotlight, and I refuse to support it. I think I speak for many when I say this.

Its Pittsburgh's 2nd Outdoor game, with teams like Minnesota, Toronto, and the Rangers without a chance in the spotlight, and I refuse to support it. I think I speak for many when I say this.

Minnesota is not a terribly large national market in comparison. The team plays a very boring style and hasn't exactly been tearing up the conference lately.

Toronto is a Canadian team. NBC will never support a Canadian team in the Winter Classic.

Would a game featuring Washington against the Rangers bring as much money in as a Pens/Caps bought? No way. HBO has ran with a show based on this matchup. It is a money grab, plain and simple.

It isn't fair. It's business. This will bring in money and more casual American viewers than most, if not all, other matchups.

Minnesota is not a terribly large national market in comparison. The team plays a very boring style and hasn't exactly been tearing up the conference lately.

Toronto is a Canadian team. NBC will never support a Canadian team in the Winter Classic.

Would a game featuring Washington against the Rangers bring as much money in as a Pens/Caps bought? No way. HBO has ran with a show based on this matchup. It is a money grab, plain and simple.

It isn't fair. It's business. This will bring in money and more casual American viewers than most, if not all, other matchups.

Which is why I refuse to support it. The Winter Classic is all about money and attendance and TV ratings. That's all they care about. Guarantee you if Minnesota had a game there they'd sell out in no time at all, but they play a "boring style of hockey". Its all about $$$$$

You know how Chicago seems kind of creepily obsessed ex-girlfriend when it comes to the Wings? Chanting Red Wings suck and whatnot during their Cup celebration...

Yeah, a lot of you guys are that way with the Penguins.

Maybe for some people the issue is the Penguins, but for more people I think the issue is that the NHL is letting a team go twice before other teams even got considered. Then they are going to try to act completely neutral like they don't have favorite teams.

In my opinion, this especially sucks because there has only been one Winter Classic out of 4 to feature Western teams and this whole Eastern Conference bias is getting really annoying. It's like hockey doesn't exist west of Detroit and Chicago. I've heard the stupid excuse that it would be messed up with the time difference, but I think that's complete BS. Broadcast the game at 3 pm Eastern time, and it's noon on the West Coast. Most people get up that early to watch college football on Saturdays anyway.

I have no loyalty to the NHL. NBC is Nothing But Crosby, and a waste of time, imho. I will be in sunny, funny Roseville on New years day for a meet & eat geocaching event here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d71e3e25-7601-437c-8b9a-c8f6d19c4050

anyone and everyone is welcome.

I'm not watching a day filled of NBC creaming itself over Sidney (yet again).

There were plenty of other teams and locations that haven't had the chance, that are more deserving.

ranting.gifranting.gifranting.gif

Edit: This is not a Crosby topic. This is about how unfair it is for pits to be repeatedly thrown in the spotlight.

I am so sick and tired of the league pushing the Penns down are throats, hey we get his a good player but enough is enough I will not watch this game

instead I will be watching football Go MSU :!: :ranting::ranting::ranting:

Ok..this game is being discussed also on a norwegian board now, where everyone seem to think that it is the natural thing to do to pick the Penguins once again.

Arguments:

- Crosby is the best player in the league right now

- Crosby vs Ovechkin sells better than for example Vanek vs Brad Richards

- the Winter Classic is a moneymachine. Penguins vs Capitals means money

Thoughts?

Edited by Norwegian Red Wing

Guest Scrosby87

HAHA! You Red Wing fans tickle me.

Next time I see Master Crosby and Master Malkin I will let them know that the Red Wing fans boycotted their winter classic game! I'm sure they will be devastated. I'm almost positive it will get one of the highest hockey ratings of all time. But hey... There are other teams out there who have two of the best players on one team.... Like Detroit, right? Who would want to see any of the teams you guys listed?? They aren't nearly as popular as the Penguins/Caps/Wings.

You're telling me you wouldn't love to see a Detroit/Pens winter classic?? I think that would be amazing!

Why would you want colorado, or ottawa or montreal or NYR?? It just doesn't make sense! You wont get a big audience and it will be a SO SO game.

Edited by Scrosby87

Next time I see Master Crosby and Master Malkin I will let them know that the Red Wing fans boycotted their winter classic game! I'm sure they will be devastated. I'm almost positive it will get one of the highest hockey ratings of all time. But hey... There are other teams out there who have two of the best players on one team.... Like Detroit, right? Who would want to see any of the teams you guys listed?? They aren't nearly as popular as the Penguins/Caps/Wings.

You're telling me you wouldn't love to see a Detroit/Pens winter classic?? I think that would be amazing!

Why would you want colorado, or ottawa or montreal or NYR?? It just doesn't make sense! You wont get a big audience and it will be a SO SO game.

This Classic has all the elements of a wasteful blowout. Rivalry or not, audience size or not, the game could very well suck and then it doesn't matter how many people watch.

I believe the Detroit-Chicago Classic still holds the record for regular season viewership?

And we care about as much for their opinion as they do ours.

And LMAO at your choice of teams to demonstrate not getting a big audience - seriously? Montreal and NY are 2 of the biggest markets in the league. Step off of your Penguins ice flow once in a while - there's a lot of good hockey out there.

And for the teams who don't have markets as large, it's all about exposure. No one is EVER going to care about the markets on the bubble if no one draws their attention to them. San Jose is a good team with a decent market - they could do well showcased in a Winter Classic. If the league truly wants to grow the smaller markets, they need to commit to advertising teams outside of the Pittsburgh/Washington/Detroit fanbase. Do I give a rat's ass about Phoenix? Not even close. However, the league is hell-bent on keeping them in the league and where they are, and if they are not complete idiots, they will start giving the Yotes some exposure.

In the meantime, I will be grouting tile or counting how many grains of sugar are in a 5-pound bag during the mockery that is the Winter Classic.

Wear safety goggles, raincoat, condom, and galoshes... You should be safe from the creme fraiche then

What is this MASTER BS?

Are you like a sissy boy who dresses up in woman's panties, gag ball in your mouth, and like being dominated?

Edited by Rivalred

Wear safety goggles, raincoat, condom, and galoshes... You should be safe from the creme fraiche then

What is this MASTER BS?

Are you like a sissy boy who dresses up in woman's panties, gag ball in your mouth, and like being dominated?

The use of the title Master is a time-honoured tradition when addressing boys under the age of 13.