• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Am I the only one who doesn't care who plays in an outdoor game with two teams playing in a different sports' arena/venue?

Yes, you are. Even the NHL disagrees with you.

If they don't think they can sell it to a "smaller" fan base, only a few years in, then the NHL doesn't consider an outside game special enough.

I wonder how they'd play, assuming they didn't cancel the game, in the driving rain? I mean, football and baseball players have played in the rain up to a certain point, but they also don't have sharpened knives on their feet either.

The Winter Classic will definitely make a lot of money for the league, which is good.

And this is the bottom ******* line. Too many people are butt-hurt because Pittsburgh is playing again. As much as we're all complained about Chicago's preoccupation with our team, let's think about this for a second guys...

I'm all for the sport growing... if there are some bangwagon fans jumping on in the process, I guess that's a trade-off for hockey's growth. Fact is, since Ovie and Sid jumped into the league, the sport has gotten more popular. I'm down with it, because I'm 100% content with watching Detroit play their game all the while.

With all due respect, I do not like having these two egomaniacs forced on me with the League saying I should care about them and watch them play a game. I don't give a rat's ass about either team, nor the players. I can think of a hell of a lot better things to do that day, rather than watch two teams who don't interest me in the least.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't see wasting my time on a game that means absolutely nothing to me. And couldn't if it tried.

Guest CaliWingsNut

With all due respect, I do not like having these two egomaniacs forced on me with the League saying I should care about them and watch them play a game. I don't give a rat's ass about either team, nor the players. I can think of a hell of a lot better things to do that day, rather than watch two teams who don't interest me in the least.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't see wasting my time on a game that means absolutely nothing to me. And couldn't if it tried.

I'm wondering if this is the end of the road for the winter classic. Where do they go now? They've shot themselves in the foot by putting the two stars they endlessly overmarket in the same game, instead of expanding. So unfair to franchises who haven't gotten a chance at the game.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I can't wait to watch it unless the Pens starting kicking Capitals ass the I will find something else to do.

I guess you neglected to bother reading the thread title, much less it's contents.

Guest Stolberg

I'm wondering if this is the end of the road for the winter classic. Where do they go now? They've shot themselves in the foot by putting the two stars they endlessly overmarket in the same game, instead of expanding. So unfair to franchises who haven't gotten a chance at the game.

hahahaha

Business isn't fair.

I guess you neglected to bother reading the thread title, much less it's contents.

I have been following the entire thread and have read the title. To recap: You are boycotting the Winter Classic and will go to any lengths to keep telling us this.

Now someone chimes in with a different opinion. Throughout the thread different people (myself included) have expressed interest in watching this particular game. I have no problem with those who don't wish to watch, but it seems you have a problem with those who do.

I guess you neglected to bother to remember that this is a discussion board.

And this is the bottom ******* line. Too many people are butt-hurt because Pittsburgh is playing again. As much as we're all complained about Chicago's preoccupation with our team, let's think about this for a second guys...

I'm all for the sport growing... if there are some bangwagon fans jumping on in the process, I guess that's a trade-off for hockey's growth. Fact is, since Ovie and Sid jumped into the league, the sport has gotten more popular. I'm down with it, because I'm 100% content with watching Detroit play their game all the while.

Popularity at what cost?

This was overheard at the most recent Pens/Caps game, after the three stars were announced: "Who's Fleury?"

The person who spoke this was wearing a Malkin jersey.

The "new fanbase" is an ignorant cash cow for the league, that's it.

Edited by edicius

Popularity at what cost?

This was overheard at the most recent Pens/Caps game, after the three stars were announced: "Who's Fleury?"

No wonder I feel like someone's yanking my udders when I see Sidney.

Oh, well. Milk the moo-bies and/or get them hooked on hockey.

Popularity at what cost?

Every team has ignorant fans, they don't make people take a quiz before purchasing jerseys. An anecdote about one guy who didn't know who Fleury was hardly represents a whole fanbase.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I have been following the entire thread and have read the title. To recap: You are boycotting the Winter Classic and will go to any lengths to keep telling us this.

Now someone chimes in with a different opinion. Throughout the thread different people (myself included) have expressed interest in watching this particular game. I have no problem with those who don't wish to watch, but it seems you have a problem with those who do.

I guess you neglected to bother to remember that this is a discussion board.

Sounds more like you forgot this is a discussion board.

As for repeating it, yes I am. Sorta the point and idea behind a boycott. Spreading the idea of hurting the NHL pocketbooks for force feeding us the same crap over and over. To the detriment of the future success of the winter classic, and several successful franchises that deserve a chance in the spotlight.

However, you're not my target market, since you don't seem to care what they do.

Popularity at what cost?

As Tommy pointed out, every team has ignorant fans. I've had discussions with numerous Detroit fans who have said the following:

-"They need to just let Yzerman be the GM. It's time to fire Holland."

-"I don't care, Osgood should keep starting, no matter what." (During the 2008-09 season when battling Conklin for starts)

-"Oh man, LiNdstrom is my favorite."

-"I wish they didn't play so boring. They always just have the puck."

No matter where you look, teams are going to have bad fans. Success breeds new, ignorant fans. All of us at one time began to follow a team, and we didn't exactly know everything either. If you look at any other sport in world, the leagues market their stars.

Is there a line the league can cross when they turn their backs on their core fan base? Absolutely, but I don't think this is it. People have constantly argued that the Winter Classic is just a spectacle; a game that shouldn't be worth 2 points because it's just a marketing scheme. Some of those same people then argue for the sanctity of the event, citing that it's being bastardized. When it comes down to it I think it's one game a year, and if they NHL can attract some attention to it, some of the best players should be on display.

Girl. :P

.....and it's s*** like this that makes it hard for men to take female hockey fans seriously. That is the number one reason why I hate when sports market specifically to women because it's like they're saying we're too stupid to appreciate or understand the game the way male fans do, so we need pink hats and pink jerseys and Crosby pillowcases to make us fans.

******* misogynistic assholes.