• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

.....and it's s*** like this that makes it hard for men to take female hockey fans seriously. That is the number one reason why I hate when sports market specifically to women because it's like they're saying we're too stupid to appreciate or understand the game the way male fans do, so we need pink hats and pink jerseys and Crosby pillowcases to make us fans.

******* misogynistic assholes.

:unsure: Just so you know E, I wrote a good number of papers in university from a feminist perspective. I would like to be granted immunity from the ensuing firestorm, if you don't mind.

*Sits back and watches the fireworks*

Guest Stolberg

.....and it's s*** like this that makes it hard for men to take female hockey fans seriously. That is the number one reason why I hate when sports market specifically to women because it's like they're saying we're too stupid to appreciate or understand the game the way male fans do, so we need pink hats and pink jerseys and Crosby pillowcases to make us fans.

******* misogynistic assholes.

all that typin aint gonna make my steak cook any faster

I don't think this is the end of it, but I do believe the parameters need some overhauling.

Should be the teams that finished #1 in each conference the year prior (i.e. this year would be the Sharks and Caps).

It would be a nice way to recognize teams that had the best record in each conference outside of the President's Trophy, and a way to get different teams into the Winter Classic without the tinfoil hat crowd whining that the league is pandering to the new hockey fans.

It would be a pretty cool tradition, IMO.

Should be the teams that finished #1 in each conference the year prior (i.e. this year would be the Sharks and Caps).

It would be a nice way to recognize teams that had the best record in each conference outside of the President's Trophy, and a way to get different teams into the Winter Classic without the tinfoil hat crowd whining that the league is pandering to the new hockey fans.

That's actually a good idea. It might end up being the teams that played for the Cup, but chances are pretty good that it won't be.

They could choose the venue in advance (like the Superbowl) so that it won't matter if the teams are in more temperate climates.

Edited by 55fan

And this is the bottom ******* line. Too many people are butt-hurt because Pittsburgh is playing again. As much as we're all complained about Chicago's preoccupation with our team, let's think about this for a second guys...

I'm all for the sport growing... if there are some bangwagon fans jumping on in the process, I guess that's a trade-off for hockey's growth. Fact is, since Ovie and Sid jumped into the league, the sport has gotten more popular. I'm down with it, because I'm 100% content with watching Detroit play their game all the while.

I think most people get that this is the bottom line, most people get that it's for ratings, etc. Doesn't mean these people can't vent their frustrations either.

I think you'll get a lot less of the "THIS IS SO UNFAIR TO THE REST OF THE LEAGUE!!!" if the perception of you know who was generally more accepted, whether that perception is fair or not. It wouldn't make it completely right or 100% acceptable, but many in here would be a lot less vocal about it I think. Add to it in here that we've played Pittsburgh for all the marbles two years in a row, and the disdain of Crosby and Pitt playing again gets bigger obviously. And I am pretty much exactly in this boat.

Pretty much anybody in here gets that Crosby is one of the best players in the game today. However the dead whistle or off ice stuff and the whining can be significantly improved. If Crosby lowered the level on being a whiney sour brat (and I'm obviously not expecting him to cater to me or fans that hate him etc.), I probably wouldn't show as much disdain for Pittsburgh playing in a second outdoor game well before other teams have even had a sniff of an opportunity.

It just eventually gets to be overkill with guys like Crosby and Ovechkin with marketing, a lot like Lebron James in the NBA, Brett Favre in the NFL, etc. Just get tired of hearing their names to where you don't really mind if they mess up.

Both sides have legitimate arguments - profitability vs. fans being pissed off that Pitt is in again. Now on the business side of it, there's only one thing obviously, it is profitability, but we're not on the business side of it in here.

I think I said this in a post earlier in here, but will I completely shut off my TV to it? No. I like watching hockey and sports in general, but don't expect me to do cartwheels over the Crosby vs. Ovechkin hype since it's way past nauseating hearing their names over and over again, especially one of the two having a whiney attitude more often than not. I'll channel flip and tune in here and there but I'll be watching college football bowl games most the day and my school is playing in the Rose Bowl that afternoon, so my focus will largely be elsewhere.

And FYI/for the record, I don't follow the NFL as much as the Wings/the NHL, and I barely watch the NBA until the playoffs start, and the names I mentioned above I'm just tired of hearing about, just as much as Crosby.

I won't be watching either.

I did learn once in my angry life that you can't call sitting something out a boycott. You actually have to get like a large portion of the population to avoid what you want for the same reasons as you for it to be a boycott...

The Winter Classic has lost most of it's appeal since it became an NHL thing... I liked it better when it was a couple of teams figuring it out... with the Wings game exception...

If there was a way to voice to the NHL that I am displeased via boycott let me know, but as of now I will not watch and the NHL will have no way of knowing as I am not a Nielson family.

That's actually a good idea. It might end up being the teams that played for the Cup, but chances are pretty good that it won't be.

They could choose the venue in advance (like the Superbowl) so that it won't matter if the teams are in more temperate climates.

Pretty much what I was thinking of, and would give HBO an excuse to make 24/7 a regular miniseries that they do every year.

Use venues like college football stadiums, baseball parks, etc for the outdoor experience. Maybe even make different venues present a bid to get the Winter Classic there similar to the Superbowl or the Olympics. The NHL could then determine where it'll be played.

I just think that would be way more interesting than arbitrarily deciding who gets to go. It would thrust good teams into the spotlight even if they normally don't get it (like the Sharks).

I could totally get behind this idea, actually. I'm not fixated on using stars, I just feel like there's nothing wrong with using them, but this idea makes a lot of sense and adds some more logic to the game. Teams are, on some level, responsible for the marketing and exposure of their own team.

I think you'll get a lot less of the "THIS IS SO UNFAIR TO THE REST OF THE LEAGUE!!!" if the perception of you know who was generally more accepted, whether that perception is fair or not. It wouldn't make it completely right or 100% acceptable, but many in here would be a lot less vocal about it I think. Add to it in here that we've played Pittsburgh for all the marbles two years in a row, and the disdain of Crosby and Pitt playing again gets bigger obviously. And I am pretty much exactly in this boat.

Pretty much anybody in here gets that Crosby is one of the best players in the game today. However the dead whistle or off ice stuff and the whining can be significantly improved. If Crosby lowered the level on being a whiney sour brat (and I'm obviously not expecting him to cater to me or fans that hate him etc.), I probably wouldn't show as much disdain for Pittsburgh playing in a second outdoor game well before other teams have even had a sniff of an opportunity.

It just eventually gets to be overkill with guys like Crosby and Ovechkin with marketing, a lot like Lebron James in the NBA, Brett Favre in the NFL, etc. Just get tired of hearing their names to where you don't really mind if they mess up.

Both sides have legitimate arguments - profitability vs. fans being pissed off that Pitt is in again. Now on the business side of it, there's only one thing obviously, it is profitability, but we're not on the business side of it in here.

I've got no issue with disliking teams or players, especially when we've been in a heated number of games against them. My problem with it right now is that a lot of people have been complaining about Chicago fans having a preoccupation with Detroit ("Detroit sucks"), but it goes both ways. People really get after Crosby to the point where they're going overboard, in my opinion. Like I said in a previous post, if people are going to call the Winter Classic a useless attraction then who cares who plays in it? It seems to me like people want to complain about Chicago fans bitching about being obsessed, then turn around and obsess about Crosby.

I also don't understand why people on here keep exhibiting an elitist attitude (not you, specifically). We've got very good fans, but we've also got some very bad ones. Who cares if Crosby is a whiny ***** off the ice? It used to really bother me, but not everyone in the league is going to be a class act and humble. Ovechkin can be a huge tool off the ice, but I really like his style of play. Detroit has had a laundry list of guys with some serious off-ice issues, but we tend to overlook them because they were Red Wings.

Overall, are the players on our team better at conducting themselves in a professional manner? Absolutely, but who are we to decide how whiny/not whiny players should be? I remember when half our team would go to talk to the officials just to try to get a call our way. Some of those fabulous Russian Five milked a call or two in their time, and there were a few occasions when even Stevie Y himself lost his cool. Perhaps if Crosby was surrounded by our management, he would become a much better person, but when it comes down to it it's all speculation. None of us (I assume) have to deal with the fame or pressure that guys like Crosby, Ovie or Stamkos do, so who are we to criticize their conduct?

I'm aware this is a message board and everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is that by complaining about Chicago fans and then exhibiting similar behavior is pretty hypocritical. It just seems to me like we're grasping at straws here. It's one game, once a year... and it's a public attraction. Hopefully in time the league as a whole does a BETTER job of marketing more stars, that way the game can grow more evenly.

I could totally get behind this idea, actually. I'm not fixated on using stars, I just feel like there's nothing wrong with using them, but this idea makes a lot of sense and adds some more logic to the game. Teams are, on some level, responsible for the marketing and exposure of their own team.

I've got no issue with disliking teams or players, especially when we've been in a heated number of games against them. My problem with it right now is that a lot of people have been complaining about Chicago fans having a preoccupation with Detroit ("Detroit sucks"), but it goes both ways. People really get after Crosby to the point where they're going overboard, in my opinion. Like I said in a previous post, if people are going to call the Winter Classic a useless attraction then who cares who plays in it? It seems to me like people want to complain about Chicago fans bitching about being obsessed, then turn around and obsess about Crosby.

I also don't understand why people on here keep exhibiting an elitist attitude (not you, specifically). We've got very good fans, but we've also got some very bad ones. Who cares if Crosby is a whiny ***** off the ice? It used to really bother me, but not everyone in the league is going to be a class act and humble. Ovechkin can be a huge tool off the ice, but I really like his style of play. Detroit has had a laundry list of guys with some serious off-ice issues, but we tend to overlook them because they were Red Wings.

Overall, are the players on our team better at conducting themselves in a professional manner? Absolutely, but who are we to decide how whiny/not whiny players should be? I remember when half our team would go to talk to the officials just to try to get a call our way. Some of those fabulous Russian Five milked a call or two in their time, and there were a few occasions when even Stevie Y himself lost his cool. Perhaps if Crosby was surrounded by our management, he would become a much better person, but when it comes down to it it's all speculation. None of us (I assume) have to deal with the fame or pressure that guys like Crosby, Ovie or Stamkos do, so who are we to criticize their conduct?

I'm aware this is a message board and everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is that by complaining about Chicago fans and then exhibiting similar behavior is pretty hypocritical. It just seems to me like we're grasping at straws here. It's one game, once a year... and it's a public attraction. Hopefully in time the league as a whole does a BETTER job of marketing more stars, that way the game can grow more evenly.

Fair enough on the Detroit-Chicago comparison to this situation as well. The only thing I'd say to that is that it's only really between Wings and Blackhawks fans, and the beef with Crosby/2 Winter Classics etc. is that probably a fair amount of people/fans, not just Wings fans, are tired of hearing about him. Not trying to justify one deal being better than the other, just another point of view pretty much, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on the hypocritical aspect.

I don't ask for much, basically just don't be a d**k or a whiney ass off the ice to where you draw attention to yourself or make me lose respect for you. Now, Crosby already has the microscope on him for better/worse which makes it difficult, but him being a sour brat at times does not help. Avery is another example for just being a dumb a** half the time off the ice. Tootoo for questionable hits in the past, etc.

I don't think that's asking for much and I'm not suggesting people need to act like royal princes. Dead whistle or off-ice stuff matter to me to a decent degree and while I definitely respect Crosby's game, the off ice stuff he needs working at (and I believe he is getting better at it in general), and stuff like that is a big reason why I'm a little bent on him and Pitt playing two Winter Classics already so soon.

Who really give's a rats ass about Bettman trying to sell the game to casual and non hockey fans? I'm not one who will say it's good for Gary's businees so I'll meekly put up with him trying to shove Crosby and Ovechkin down everyone's throat yet again, Stuff it Gary. Not Watching. And you can contract you're non Hockey markets we are paying to subsidize such as Phoenix,Florida,Atlanta etc...Get it through you're thick head Gary.

Edited by Ray Sheppard

Who really give's a rats ass about Bettman trying to sell the game to casual and non hockey fans? I'm not one who will say it's good for Gary's businees so I'll meekly put up with him trying to shove Crosby and Ovechkin down everyone's throat yet again, Stuff it Gary. Not Watching. And you can contract you're non Hockey markets we are paying to subsidize such as Phoenix,Florida,Atlanta etc...Get it through you're thick head Gary.

This is literally one of the dumbest posts ever written, just for the awful grammar used.

Also, you realize that Bettman doesn't read LGW, right? :ph34r:

Edited by Theophany

I won't be watching either. Although, Crysboy has played like he is the greatest player in the league, so I guess you can't argue too much about his team being there again. Should be the Pens vs Wings. He could be Z's ***** again.

I won't be watching either. Although, Crysboy has played like he is the greatest player in the league, so I guess you can't argue too much about his team being there again. Should be the Pens vs Wings. He could be Z's ***** again.

Hilariously, he was whining about Ottawa players diving tonight. That's comedy.

From TSN:

The weather is becoming a worry for the Winter Classic.

Rain showers and temperatures around 11 C are being forecast for the Capitals-Penguins outdoor game Saturday at Heinz Field. Those are hardly the conditions the NHL wants for its midseason showcase featuring stars Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

The League's marketing team is looking at the return of...

pmi11487.jpg

Guest CaliWingsNut

From TSN:

The League's marketing team is looking at the return of...

pmi11487.jpg

Rain and 44 degrees

The ice refigeration systems can handle up to 50 degrees (untested by NHL), however what does 44 and unfrozen water do?