• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#21 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

I looking forward to this game only so i can find out who will lose in the cup final.

#22 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

Just out of curiousity, how would you guys feel if Detroit got the nod in 2011 WC?

Part of me would be stoked and another part of me would be like "meh, been there, done that."

I loved the whole "once in a lifetime" aspect of the game which made it so enjoyable to watch. By far the best WC game so far, even though it probably was boring towards the end as a Hawks fan.

Posted Image

#23 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just out of curiousity, how would you guys feel if Detroit got the nod in 2011 WC?

I'd still think it was unfair to other more deserving teams that haven't yet had the honor of playing in a WC.

2009 was fun, but Detroit shouldn't play in another one until, at the very earliest, 2019. Yes, that means that at least 20 other teams will get to play in a WC before Detroit and/or Chicago would get a second one. Pittsburgh should have to wait until 2018. And so on.

Of course, I understand that the feasibility of that is tricky with teams in the South basically needing to have rivalries with teams in the North due to temperature concerns and to be honest, I can't see that working. If not 10 years between repeat WCs, at least 5 years then. Which means that Pittsburgh would still have to wait until 2013 instead of getting shoved down our throats 3 years apart.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#24 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

I'm not watching a day filled of NBC creaming itself over Sidney (yet again).

There were plenty of other teams and locations that haven't had the chance, that are more deserving.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit: This is not a Crosby topic. This is about how unfair it is for pits to be repeatedly thrown in the spotlight.

I'm in, College Football FTW!

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

The NHL can't land a decent TV contract, so on the one day when they ARE able to grab a piece of the spotlight....you're going to fault them for putting their two biggest draws on the ice?

Keep boycotting if you like, but don't complain when NHL games are continually having to be watched on some obscure channel because they are not able to prove that they can pull ratings to deserve to be on anything better.

Their two biggest draws, eh? Would you like to know the two biggest fanbases in the league?

1. The Maple Leafs
2. The Red Wings

#26 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Part of me would be stoked and another part of me would be like "meh, been there, done that."

I loved the whole "once in a lifetime" aspect of the game which made it so enjoyable to watch. By far the best WC game so far, even though it probably was boring towards the end as a Hawks fan.

Being a fan, I'd prolly be less annoyed. However, I would still think it's unfair to the league.

In both cases (hypothetical & actual), it definitely takes away from the nostalgia of the event.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#27 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

If you absolutely must see an outside hockey game this season, watch this one.

Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Diamonds, 27 July 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#28 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

It's kinda lame of them to repeat a team but if you're really a hockey fan, there's no way you can't be excited by the match-up. If I had nothing else going on, watching the Pens-Caps rivalry seems like a great way to pass the time. They have really talented players on both sides that should make for a great game. Boycotting it is lame, especially if you think it's gonna affect the ratings. You need to sign up and have some hardware installed on your TV if you want to be part of the viewer polls.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#29 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

It's kinda lame of them to repeat a team but if you're really a hockey fan, there's no way you can't be excited by the match-up. If I had nothing else going on, watching the Pens-Caps rivalry seems like a great way to pass the time. They have really talented players on both sides that should make for a great game. Boycotting it is lame, especially if you think it's gonna affect the ratings. You need to sign up and have some hardware installed on your TV if you want to be part of the viewer polls.

I think there's a difference between a "hockey fan" and an "NHL fan". Outside of watching pretty much every Wings game. I watch more college hockey than watching NHL games featuring other teams unless were talking NHL playoffs.

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

I'm not watching it either. I guess Bettman still hasn't realized Crosby isn't liked outside Pittsburgh and some parts of Canada. Man the NHL is stubborn and doesn't know how to market themselves properly! Cash in on the USA Olympic Team's success and the Chicago-Philly Stanley Cup Final you morons, quit this Crosby crap already!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

I'll be watching it on the CBC; no bias there.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#32 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I think there's a difference between a "hockey fan" and an "NHL fan". Outside of watching pretty much every Wings game. I watch more college hockey than watching NHL games featuring other teams unless were talking NHL playoffs.

I don't see how you could like hockey and not be somewhat interested in how a match-up between Ovechkin/Semin would fare against Crosby/Malkin. That is an exciting game. Do you watch the Wings just because of the city they are from, or are you watching because it's interesting to see how the game unfolds? Knowing the attributes of Wings players and how it factors into the progression of the game is just icing on the cake. I would argue a hockey fan would usually be interested in how a game unfolds between two highly skilled teams.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#33 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm even finding the Ovechkin stuff annoying too. Enough Crosby and Ovechkin! This game is guaranteed to have high ratings, why doesn't the NHL use it to market their other stars?

Washington and Pittsburgh has been done already, two years ago in the playoffs.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#34 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

I don't see how you could like hockey and not be somewhat interested in how a match-up between Ovechkin/Semin would fare against Crosby/Malkin. That is an exciting game. Do you watch the Wings just because of the city they are from, or are you watching because it's interesting to see how the game unfolds? Knowing the attributes of Wings players and how it factors into the progression of the game is just icing on the cake. I would argue a hockey fan would usually be interested in how a game unfolds between two highly skilled teams.

That is some seriously hockey elitist drivel right here. We're still talking about a regular season game here right? SO are you saying if you don't watch every regular season game that one is not a "hockey fan"? Ovie/Semin ,Cindy/Malkin we've never seen that before! The suspense is killing me!!!!! What will happen? Despite frostbite, will Cindy and Ovie each have a hattrick? Will it go to a shootout? YAY! FIND OUT IN THE NEXT WINTER CLASSIC!

And again, there you go with the "hockey fan" crap. I'm not much of an "NHL fan" right now. I don't like the way the direction of the league is going with Bettman at the helm. But I'm still enough of a "hockey fan" that I make damn sure I watch my hometeam because I love them no matter what. On the other hand I am such a "hockey fan" that I will even watch NHL playoff games featuring other teams as well despite hating Gary Bettman's new watered down NHL!

Edited by Johnny Diamonds, 27 July 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#35 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

:blink:

I watch the Red Wings because I'm a Red Wings fan. If I wasn't, I wouldn't watch/listen to their games, post on their message board, follow the players, read news about them, etc. I don't give a rat's ass about Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins or frankly, any other team in the league unless we're playing them. Then I care as they're our opponent. If they're not, I'm not bothered. The only reason I watched the SCF this year was because of my dad. Had the Hawks not been in them, I wouldn't have watched. The Wings are the only team I care about.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#36 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

Everyone knows that Bettman feels like now its a 50-50 chance for crosby to make it back to the finals... lol

#37 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

i think the aura of the WC has definitel worn off on me, that being said, I watch hockey every night and day during the season so i will watch it anyways
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#38 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

If I were to do a list of games I'd like to see for the winter classic, this would be one of them. No complaints from me.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#39 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

I wonder how many of the "Boycott the WC" people would still be saying boycott if it were the Wings getting a second shot.
Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#40 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

I wonder how many of the "Boycott the WC" people would still be saying boycott if it were the Wings getting a second shot.

It sounds to me like most dislike the fact that it's a repeated team.

There's a few who say they wouldn't cause the wings aren't playing, but that makes them part of the percentage of fans who only watch their team.

I already stated my personal answer to this already question, but since you didn't read that... you probably won't read this either.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain