• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

HAHA! You Red Wing fans tickle me.

Next time I see Master Crosby and Master Malkin I will let them know that the Red Wing fans boycotted their winter classic game! I'm sure they will be devastated. I'm almost positive it will get one of the highest hockey ratings of all time. But hey... There are other teams out there who have two of the best players on one team.... Like Detroit, right? Who would want to see any of the teams you guys listed?? They aren't nearly as popular as the Penguins/Caps/Wings.

You're telling me you wouldn't love to see a Detroit/Pens winter classic?? I think that would be amazing!

Why would you want colorado, or ottawa or montreal or NYR?? It just doesn't make sense! You wont get a big audience and it will be a SO SO game.

Do me and the rest of this board a favor. Break a glass bottle and then sit on it. Merry Christmas!

The use of the title Master is a time-honoured tradition when addressing boys under the age of 13.

Do me and the rest of this board a favor. Break a glass bottle and then sit on it. Merry Christmas!

Either way, sounds like this crosby poster is into pain, especially in the rear...

And yes, I have been a grouch... Call me the LGW Grinch

Edited by Rivalred

Minnesota is not a terribly large national market in comparison. The team plays a very boring style and hasn't exactly been tearing up the conference lately.

Minnesota might see a general boost in viewership, ticket sales, etc, if it were showcased in the Winter Classic game. Just another perspective. The WC doesn't have to be a money grab, it can be used to showcase various teams in the NHL. Minnesota would be perfect for it, they have the right climate. They can use the Metrodome, its an outdoor stadium now :)

Honestly, I don't think the WC game is, or ever will be, a national event. I guarantee 90% of the people watching any given WC to date are from the markets of the two teams playing. Which is fine by me, hockey is a relatively niche sport in the US, and the WC is a special niche game that I'd rather watch than a bunch of football. If the NHL can't get solid national exposure for the Stanley Cup finals, they sure as hell aren't going to for the WC.

Next time I see Master Crosby and Master Malkin I will let them know that the Red Wing fans boycotted their winter classic game! I'm sure they will be devastated. I'm almost positive it will get one of the highest hockey ratings of all time. But hey... There are other teams out there who have two of the best players on one team.... Like Detroit, right? Who would want to see any of the teams you guys listed?? They aren't nearly as popular as the Penguins/Caps/Wings.

You're telling me you wouldn't love to see a Detroit/Pens winter classic?? I think that would be amazing!

Why would you want colorado, or ottawa or montreal or NYR?? It just doesn't make sense! You wont get a big audience and it will be a SO SO game.

You've proven your own ignorance, and your Crosby/Malkin fanboyism. Montreal and NYR are huge hockey markets, with extremely loyal fanbases. I guarantee a Winter Classic with either of these teams would beat the pants off the ratings of this stupid Pens/Caps WC.

This whole Crosby/Ovechkin non-rivalry is so stupid and contrived it makes me want to puke. How are they rivals except for having the same old pissing contest of who can score more goals in a season? They've never met in the playoffs, there's no "bad blood" between the Pens and Caps, its all a bunch of bulls***. The fact that they have this HBO series on the "rivalry" is just more proof that the NHL will do whatever it takes to make them the posterboys of hockey.

Edited by ACallToArms

I'm boycotting because of that terrible, overstriped cartooney jersey. I can't look at that shirt without thinking "s***tsburgh". If you're gonna tell your "Masters" anything, include that. Rosby doesn't control that, nor does he control how much the league tries to market him into the next Gretzky when in reality he'll never be anywhere near that dominant over his peers. He controls how he acts on the ice, which is supposedly less bitchish this year, but he's got a ways to go there. I don't control anything other than my TV, but I, like many hockey fans, am tired of Sid, so if the league would simmer down a bit on over-hyping him, it would please a lot of fans of 29 other teams.

As for DET/PIT winter classic...no thank you. I don't even want to see Detroit in it again until a few more teams have had a chance, and I certainly hope the Pens are done for a decade or more. If only a handful of teams are going to get a shot, I'd rather they did away with the classic altogether. As for the ones you mentioned, the Avs rivalry is dead and I don't think Ottawa is a great fit, but either of the other two would be freakin sweet, original 6 matchups are more classic than anything else this league has. If it were MON/NYR next year, I think you'd see bigger ratings than this year.

Guest Stolberg
This whole Crosby/Ovechkin non-rivalry is so stupid and contrived it makes me want to puke. How are they rivals except for having the same old pissing contest of who can score more goals in a season? They've never met in the playoffs, there's no "bad blood" between the Pens and Caps, its all a bunch of bulls***. The fact that they have this HBO series on the "rivalry" is just more proof that the NHL will do whatever it takes to make them the posterboys of hockey.

lol

how about that 7 game series in 09

the pens-caps rivalry isn't something the nhl marketing randomly drummed up either. both teams met in the playoffs eight times in the 90s

Whatevs! I will be watching Michigan and Michigan State football! I do not like the fact that the NHL puts this game on New Years Day, rather its Crysby or Ovie, or Datsyuk or Zetterberg! What the NHL should do, is put the game on Christmas to compete against the NBA's Doubleheader on ABC! AT least then Bettman can compete against a sport that is almost as popular as his!

lol

how about that 7 game series in 09

the pens-caps rivalry isn't something the nhl marketing randomly drummed up either. both teams met in the playoffs eight times in the 90s

I stand corrected, forgot about 2009 - yes I have a short memory sometimes :hehe:

I should have worded my post more carefully, as I was referring strictly to the Crosby/Ovechkin years. The playoff meetings in the 90's don't factor into the current Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry since they weren't playing then. The Wings rivals from the 90's are anything but right now.

Edited by ACallToArms

Guest CaliWingsNut

San Jose, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Carolina, NY Rangers, Avalanche, Anaheim, LA and Dallas all should have had a chance before the NHL repeated teams.

Most have stars that could have been hyped, and all are US teams which would have made NBC happy.

I figure I will actually watch the game, or at least flip channels and watch some, but I just remembered another reason why I shouldn't - Bob Costas. I truly hate that little ventriloquist's dummy. He really has no business around a sheet of ice.

Partially yes and partially no to the bolded. No, largely because we've played the Penguins two out of the last three years in a playoff series, and I'm just so sick and tired of hearing about Golden Boy every 5 seconds. Nobody's jealous of him, pretty much anybody with half a brain here gets that he's one of the best players in the game today. We're just sick of him getting forcefed to us with his questionable dead whistle/whining/off ice attitude, fair or not. I can't speak for all Red Wings fans or all fans in the league outside of Pittsburgh, but I think it is a good bet that a fair amount of people, while they get how good Crosby is, are sick and tired of hearing about him as well.

And you're trying to justify your post to a bunch of Red Wings fans on a Red Wings forum. Are ya kidding me? Use your head.

Pretty much everybody here is looks down on the Penguins because of the recent playoff games with them, with Whiny Boy just being constantly fed to us when we don't want it being fed to us anymore, and that Whiney Boy and Pittsburgh are playing in a 2nd Winter Classic when others haven't even come close to an inkling of consideration for it. I get ratings etc., but it's just so incredibly unfair to the other teams, even the ones that might draw decent ratings for the day.

EDIT: Now, will a boycott it? Not entirely. I like watching hockey and sports in general, but given how much they'll probably drool over the guy, I'm going to be channel surfing plenty. Going to watch college bowl games more on January 1st and my school is playing in the Rose Bowl that day so it'll be more of watching the other sport on January 1st.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Am I the only one who doesn't care who plays in an outdoor game with two teams playing in a different sports' arena/venue?

That Northwestern game was awesome at Wrigly, the MSU/UofM was awesome at the Big House, the Final Four at Ford Field, etc.

I don't care who plays, it's going to be awesome and entertaining. The Canadian teams have their heritage classic and the US teams have their Winter Classic. The biggest and most marketable markets are going to get the games until hockey becomes popular.

If you're seriously butthurt over Crosby playing in another Winter Classic, than you truly aren't an honest fan of the game of hockey. It's an outdoor game for crying out loud, all hockey fans should watch it regardless of who is in it!

Am I the only one who doesn't care who plays in an outdoor game with two teams playing in a different sports' arena/venue?

That Northwestern game was awesome at Wrigly, the MSU/UofM was awesome at the Big House, the Final Four at Ford Field, etc.

I don't care who plays, it's going to be awesome and entertaining. The Canadian teams have their heritage classic and the US teams have their Winter Classic. The biggest and most marketable markets are going to get the games until hockey becomes popular.

If you're seriously butthurt over Crosby playing in another Winter Classic, than you truly aren't an honest fan of the game of hockey. It's an outdoor game for crying out loud, all hockey fans should watch it regardless of who is in it!

Bulls**t. People who are hockey fans are well within their rights to voice displeasure about which teams or who is still playing in the event when those people/teams have already played in the event before before a whole lot of other teams, just because of who they are.

Well, since you are the dictator over the True Hockey Fan Department, what about if the university that you are attending for the last year of your life that you love and don't want to ever leave is playing in a bowl game? Would I be allowed to watch that instead because I'm not as emotionally invested in Pittsburgh or Washington?

I'm sure most people in Michigan would rather watch one of our own teams play football than other cities' teams play hockey when these are huge bowl games.

I'm a Red Wings fan. I watch and follow the Detroit Red Wings. I don't care about any other team, unless we're playing them. If we're not involved, I don't care.

I also can't stand Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I don't watch their games (unless they're playing us), I don't follow what any of their players are doing (unless they're playing us) and I reserve the right to think they're overexposed, overhyped and overrated.

So no, I shouldn't watch this game if I don't want to. I have better things to do.

So wait a minute, your saying that those that don't watch the WC aren't true hockey fans. Even though neither of the teams in the WC represent the state of MI when there are 2 MI teams playing at the same time in bowl games and for those who cheer for MI teams will watch these more then the WC. My family and I would rather cheer for teams from our state then get sick to our stomach with the slobbering that would take place in the WC.

Bulls**t. People who are hockey fans are well within their rights to voice displeasure about which teams or who is still playing in the event when those people/teams have already played in the event before before a whole lot of other teams, just because of who they are.

It's more about the fact there isn't a more profitable matchup in the NHL at this point.

I don't have cable/broadcast TV anymore anyway, so it's not even an option for me unless I actively seek out a stream. And why would I actively seek out a "We Love Sidney Crosby!" broadcast special?

I'll probably spend my day playing PS3. Maybe some NHL 11 or Brutal Legend.

1) I have probably been a hockey fan longer than you have been alive. In fact, I'd bet on it.

2) I am sick and tired of having Cindy Crysbaby shoved down my throat. I hate Pittsburgh with a passion.

3) I'm also tired of having Ovechkin shoved down my throat constantly. I don't care about Washington.

4) It isn't fair for a team to get the chance to play twice before other teams get their first chance. I don't care who it is. Everyone deserves a fair shot to play in a Winter Classic. I feel this way about the Wings as well.

5) You are entitled to your own opinion, but telling someone they are not a true hockey fan because they are not interested in all the hype, silliness and general insanity of two overblown teams playing each other for the umpteenth time is rather mean.

Since you're such a true fan does this mean you watch every All Star Game and take it seriously too?

Count me in on the boycott.

At that point I'll be watching football anyway. Unless the Wings are involved I'll always watch college football over the NHL and especially if Crysby and Overratedechkin are involved.

Wow I just don't know what I'll ever do without your approval of what I watch on TV...