• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#141 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't care who plays in an outdoor game with two teams playing in a different sports' arena/venue?

That Northwestern game was awesome at Wrigly, the MSU/UofM was awesome at the Big House, the Final Four at Ford Field, etc.

I don't care who plays, it's going to be awesome and entertaining. The Canadian teams have their heritage classic and the US teams have their Winter Classic. The biggest and most marketable markets are going to get the games until hockey becomes popular.

If you're seriously butthurt over Crosby playing in another Winter Classic, than you truly aren't an honest fan of the game of hockey. It's an outdoor game for crying out loud, all hockey fans should watch it regardless of who is in it!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#142 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't care who plays in an outdoor game with two teams playing in a different sports' arena/venue?

That Northwestern game was awesome at Wrigly, the MSU/UofM was awesome at the Big House, the Final Four at Ford Field, etc.

I don't care who plays, it's going to be awesome and entertaining. The Canadian teams have their heritage classic and the US teams have their Winter Classic. The biggest and most marketable markets are going to get the games until hockey becomes popular.

If you're seriously butthurt over Crosby playing in another Winter Classic, than you truly aren't an honest fan of the game of hockey. It's an outdoor game for crying out loud, all hockey fans should watch it regardless of who is in it!

Bulls**t. People who are hockey fans are well within their rights to voice displeasure about which teams or who is still playing in the event when those people/teams have already played in the event before before a whole lot of other teams, just because of who they are.

#143 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Well, since you are the dictator over the True Hockey Fan Department, what about if the university that you are attending for the last year of your life that you love and don't want to ever leave is playing in a bowl game? Would I be allowed to watch that instead because I'm not as emotionally invested in Pittsburgh or Washington?

I'm sure most people in Michigan would rather watch one of our own teams play football than other cities' teams play hockey when these are huge bowl games.

#144 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

I'm a Red Wings fan. I watch and follow the Detroit Red Wings. I don't care about any other team, unless we're playing them. If we're not involved, I don't care.

I also can't stand Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I don't watch their games (unless they're playing us), I don't follow what any of their players are doing (unless they're playing us) and I reserve the right to think they're overexposed, overhyped and overrated.

So no, I shouldn't watch this game if I don't want to. I have better things to do.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#145 MonkeyGoalie

MonkeyGoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

So wait a minute, your saying that those that don't watch the WC aren't true hockey fans. Even though neither of the teams in the WC represent the state of MI when there are 2 MI teams playing at the same time in bowl games and for those who cheer for MI teams will watch these more then the WC. My family and I would rather cheer for teams from our state then get sick to our stomach with the slobbering that would take place in the WC.

#146 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

Bulls**t. People who are hockey fans are well within their rights to voice displeasure about which teams or who is still playing in the event when those people/teams have already played in the event before before a whole lot of other teams, just because of who they are.

It's more about the fact there isn't a more profitable matchup in the NHL at this point.

Posted Image

#147 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

I don't have cable/broadcast TV anymore anyway, so it's not even an option for me unless I actively seek out a stream. And why would I actively seek out a "We Love Sidney Crosby!" broadcast special?

I'll probably spend my day playing PS3. Maybe some NHL 11 or Brutal Legend.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#148 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

1) I have probably been a hockey fan longer than you have been alive. In fact, I'd bet on it.

2) I am sick and tired of having Cindy Crysbaby shoved down my throat. I hate Pittsburgh with a passion.

3) I'm also tired of having Ovechkin shoved down my throat constantly. I don't care about Washington.

4) It isn't fair for a team to get the chance to play twice before other teams get their first chance. I don't care who it is. Everyone deserves a fair shot to play in a Winter Classic. I feel this way about the Wings as well.

5) You are entitled to your own opinion, but telling someone they are not a true hockey fan because they are not interested in all the hype, silliness and general insanity of two overblown teams playing each other for the umpteenth time is rather mean.
Posted Image

#149 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

Since you're such a true fan does this mean you watch every All Star Game and take it seriously too?

#150 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

Count me in on the boycott.

At that point I'll be watching football anyway. Unless the Wings are involved I'll always watch college football over the NHL and especially if Crysby and Overratedechkin are involved.

Wow I just don't know what I'll ever do without your approval of what I watch on TV...
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#151 detroit_hockey99

detroit_hockey99

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

A Maple Leafs vs. Canadians in the WC or Heritage Classic would be a sweet game.

#152 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Step off of your Penguins ice flow once in a while

:clap: :thumbup: :clap:
Love that line.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#153 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

It's more about the fact there isn't a more profitable matchup in the NHL at this point.

That's probably true. I can't wait for next year's rematch. <_<

Edited by MidMichSteve, 23 December 2010 - 12:38 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#154 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yes, you are. Even the NHL disagrees with you.
If they don't think they can sell it to a "smaller" fan base, only a few years in, then the NHL doesn't consider an outside game special enough.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#155 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

The Winter Classic will definitely make a lot of money for the league, which is good.

#156 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

They're talking about rain and 40 degrees around here New Year's Day. I hate to be mean, but I'd laugh my ass off if it poured rain in Pittsburgh that day. It would be poetic justice.
Posted Image

#157 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

I wonder how they'd play, assuming they didn't cancel the game, in the driving rain? I mean, football and baseball players have played in the rain up to a certain point, but they also don't have sharpened knives on their feet either.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#158 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

The Winter Classic will definitely make a lot of money for the league, which is good.

And this is the bottomf****** line. Too many people are butt-hurt because Pittsburgh is playing again. As much as we're all complained about Chicago's preoccupation with our team, let's think about this for a second guys...

I'm all for the sport growing... if there are some bangwagon fans jumping on in the process, I guess that's a trade-off for hockey's growth. Fact is, since Ovie and Sid jumped into the league, the sport has gotten more popular. I'm down with it, because I'm 100% content with watching Detroit play their game all the while.

#159 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

With all due respect, I do not like having these two egomaniacs forced on me with the League saying I should care about them and watch them play a game. I don't give a rat's ass about either team, nor the players. I can think of a hell of a lot better things to do that day, rather than watch two teams who don't interest me in the least.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't see wasting my time on a game that means absolutely nothing to me. And couldn't if it tried.
Posted Image

#160 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

With all due respect, I do not like having these two egomaniacs forced on me with the League saying I should care about them and watch them play a game. I don't give a rat's ass about either team, nor the players. I can think of a hell of a lot better things to do that day, rather than watch two teams who don't interest me in the least.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't see wasting my time on a game that means absolutely nothing to me. And couldn't if it tried.

I'm wondering if this is the end of the road for the winter classic. Where do they go now? They've shot themselves in the foot by putting the two stars they endlessly overmarket in the same game, instead of expanding. So unfair to franchises who haven't gotten a chance at the game.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain