• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Wings offer Aaron Downey Tryout?

Rate this topic

An old washed up fighter who will add nothing but a single attribute to a team that needs minute eaters not bench fodder... If this is what people want can't the wings just send a player to sit in the locker room for 10 mins every 5th game? It'll be the exact same, because the most time on the scoresheet down will ever have is penalty time.

do_not_want_dog.jpg

I have no problem with signing him to a minor-league contract, or 2-way with the understanding that he will basically spend the entire season in GR, but at his age, and with the logjam we already have, there's no excuse for him to use up a roster spot, even with as much as I love Downey... now, as an injury call up, I'd have no problem with it, if he's in prime shape that is...

Don't get me wrong I like Downey, but he just isn't a good enough player to get any minutes of ice time on any team let a lone the Wings great GR guy. Would love to watch him there.

An old washed up fighter who will add nothing but a single attribute to a team that needs minute eaters not bench fodder... If this is what people want can't the wings just send a player to sit in the locker room for 10 mins every 5th game? It'll be the exact same, because the most time on the scoresheet down will ever have is penalty time.

Other than a solid 6th d-man (which hopefully Kindl/Meech/Janik can fulfill), toughness is the one thing that the Wings are missing. Abby would not be the toughest player on any other team in the league. Hopefully Downey has improved his skating enough to play a regular shift. I would be happy to see him in ~40 games with the Wings this year (although more is always better- just not realistic).

He could use a good "conditioning stint" with the Griffins. I wouldnt call Downey a no talent good either, he knows enough about the game to go out there put in a solid shift and not make mistakes. Much like May last year, you know he wont be putting up any points but he wouldnt be a liability. The DHE line was awesome last year, and is expected to be our 4th this year. They didnt really put up much offense but were just tons of fun to watch and were an energy line. If Downey replaced Draper on that line I can only see it becoming an even better energy line and more fun to watch. If he still has potential to earn a spot on the roster I would love the signing, especially if he is just taking playing time away from Draper and not the kids, or is in because of injuries.

Guest Heaten

Glad to see Wings give him a tryout out of respect for a good guy... but he won't ever play in the Winged Wheel ever again.

For those who say he "adds team toughness", I don't get. Because he likely won't ever suit up (too far down the depth chart behind Miller, Eaves, Ritola, Meech), and certainly won't EVER play in the playoffs.

Love Downey, but not sure why people are getting excited over this, he won't ever make the team.

Edited by Heaten

Hate to burst your bubble people...

Also in the rumor department: I know that a rumor regarding the Wings giving Aaron Downey a try-out has bounced around the interweb...I think it's possible but not probable given that Downey both didn't make the Coyotes and is effectively retired. If he's willing to play for the Griffins, it's not a bad idea, but I think the Wings will probably go in a different direction in terms of signing an enforcer who can be sent to the Griffins without having to clear waivers.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/07/is_it_back_to_red_wings_or_bus.html

Glad to see Wings give him a tryout out of respect for a good guy... but he won't ever play in the Winged Wheel ever again.

For those who say he "adds team toughness", I don't get. Because he likely won't ever suit up (too far down the depth chart behind Miller, Eaves, Ritola, Meech), and certainly won't EVER play in the playoffs.

Love Downey, but not sure why people are getting excited over this, he won't ever make the team.

The depth chart is a bit different when enforcers are involved. They may not be better hockey players than the others, but they play a different game. Depending on the night (team, injuries, etc) the Wings might favor his style and have him play above someone like Miller. Very few enforcers are better players than Eaves, but they are valued for their toughness. I don't think anyone expects Downey to be a playoff player if he makes the team this year.

I'll take him over Modano six days a week and three times on Sunday. Even if it's a two-way deal for the minimum, he's still worth twice Modano. :)

What? How is the guy potentially going to be our third line center even remotely close to Downey signing for a frickin tryout? While I have no problem with Downey, it's absurd to believe he would contribute more to the Red Wings success next season than Mike Modano would. That also means Downey would have to make the team and jump an abundance of far better forwards to even crack the line-up.

Man, I really wish I could hear what Babs was saying, and what actually happened there.

Me, too. There's a point towards the end where he just GLARES. I can't find words to describe the look. But you'll know it when you see it. I want to know what was said to make him glare like that all of a sudden.

Well I was watching the OTR episode where Downey basically annonuced his tryout.

Landsburg asked if he was retired or what his situation and he said no, I took this year off to train hard and work on my skating, then I gave Kenny H a call and he said come on out for a try out, we're looking for a guy to Fill May's role last season.

He said he was working hard on his skating, I know its unlikey but imagine he comes back and has a really great try out, and has actually increased his speed quite a bit. His speed seemed to be the only thing hindering him, he was good enough positionally and was a solid heavyweight fighter.

I doubt he'll see many games next year but who knows, maybe this log jam of forwards we have is going to be cleared by Kenny via trade and suddenyl Downey would be up about 3 spots on the depth chart.

Well I was watching the OTR episode where Downey basically annonuced his tryout.

Landsburg asked if he was retired or what his situation and he said no, I took this year off to train hard and work on my skating, then I gave Kenny H a call and he said come on out for a try out, we're looking for a guy to Fill May's role last season.

He said he was working hard on his skating, I know its unlikey but imagine he comes back and has a really great try out, and has actually increased his speed quite a bit. His speed seemed to be the only thing hindering him, he was good enough positionally and was a solid heavyweight fighter.

I doubt he'll see many games next year but who knows, maybe this log jam of forwards we have is going to be cleared by Kenny via trade and suddenyl Downey would be up about 3 spots on the depth chart.

I don't expect Downey to blow everyone's minds at camp,and if it does turn out that he doesn't impress,there's plenty other tough guys looking for jobs.

So Holland would make trades and clear the log jam to make room for Downey? I don't get it.

Edited by Broken 16

So Holland would make trades and clear the log jam to make room for Downey? I don't get it.

No Holland would make trades to get rid of NHL worthy guys who have worth so that we don't have 2 or 3 guys rotting in the press box when we could get a pick or prospect out of them. Get rid of a few guys like that and suddenly Downey is closer on the depth chart, its obviously not to make room for Downey, but the wings are going to have to trade someone its pretty much inevitable