• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Wings offer Aaron Downey Tryout?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

No Holland would make trades to get rid of NHL worthy guys who have worth so that we don't have 2 or 3 guys rotting in the press box when we could get a pick or prospect out of them.

What, you mean depth players? Because, you know, it's nice to have people who can step up if any of the starters are injured...

You're pipe-dreaming; what's more, your insatiable lust for hockey fights seems to have knocked you a tad off your proverbial rocker.

Seriously. Downey seems like a great guy and all, but does he really have a chance in hell?

If he is really in that much of better shape, and worked on his skating like he says he did I cant see why not. If he does a good enough job to earn a spot than good for him.

Guest Crymson

Seriously. Downey seems like a great guy and all, but does he really have a chance in hell?

If he can skate better, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

Aaron Downey is the only person jealous of Bill Clement's hands, he needs to work on more than just his skating!

I know, I know he is not a scorer, but being able to complete a couple of passes would be nice too!

Edit: forgot the not!

Edited by Opie

“Now I feel really good about myself,” he said. “I’m just coming there – like I did in ’07 and ’08 – with a better attitude, a lucky-to-be-alive attitude. I really want to come in there, shut my mouth and just do what I do. I want to show them that I’ve developed. And just because I took a year off doesn’t mean that I can’t handle a puck. I think I can handle it better now. … I’m in a better state of mind.”

:thumbup:

esteef

Guest Crymson

If Williams and Maltby can make the team, why can't Downey?

He at least gives us something that we don't already have. What did those players add to the team last year?

Williams was a potential 20-goal scorer. He had done it more than once before. He was also somewhat of an emergency signing, as the time spent waiting for Hudler had seen a big thinning in the UFA pool.

In other news, I don't remember the last time you had a good idea. Further, you're one always predicting doom and gloom.

Edited by Crymson

He at least gives us something that we don't already have. What did those players add to the team last year?

Nobody figured Downey would make the team in 2007-2008, so anything is possible. Plus, Meech and Miller look like they could be on their ways out anyways...

Maltby didn't have to make the team. He was kept because of loyalty.

Williams had his chance and won't be back.

Downey had his chance and won't be back.

Maltby didn't have to make the team.  He was kept because of loyalty.

Yes and that is the one thing that is getting quite overdone. It has worked for many years, Mr. I is an amazing owner and Kenny is just simply one of the best but with Malts I just don't get bringing him back.

Williams was a potential 20-goal scorer. He had done it more than once before. He was also somewhat of an emergency signing, as the time spent waiting for Hudler had seen a big thinning in the UFA pool.

In other news, I don't remember the last time you had a good idea. Further, you're one always predicting doom and gloom.

Way to stay on topic there ace. At least you're not biased against me or anything.

:thumbup:

Didn't realize I was supposed to make great ideas. I thought that's what all those idiots in Washington were for.

“I went into the Phoenix camp and I thought that I could do it, but I couldn’t give it my all,” he said. “I just didn’t have that natural energy. … I felt that I left my heart in Detroit."

How can anyone read that and not pull for the guy? Downs loves Detroit, and the majority of the fans love him. I hope to god he makes the team in some capacity, he's one of the best dudes in the NHL and not a half bad enforcer either.

it also mentions that the wings may be interested in Willie Mitchell...ive watched him a lot here in western BC and would love to have him on the team for the right price...and if his concussion problems are somewhat in control

What, you mean depth players? Because, you know, it's nice to have people who can step up if any of the starters are injured...

You're pipe-dreaming; what's more, your insatiable lust for hockey fights seems to have knocked you a tad off your proverbial rocker.

So I'm off my rocker because I think Holland is going to trade some people before the season starts, like he's already basically said about Meech. He isn't going to have Meech, Miller and possibly another forward sitting in the press box every game. Since when does a hockey team do that?

They aren't gonig to sit on a bunch of guys who should be playing, depth guys are great but not that many, usually you have 1 13th forward not 3... maybe your insatisfiable lust for figure skating type hockey has knocked you off your rocker? or you just don't know how hockey works... I think its both personally

it also mentions that the wings may be interested in Willie Mitchell...ive watched him a lot here in western BC and would love to have him on the team for the right price...and if his concussion problems are somewhat in control

Now that news gets me excited.

Mitchell would be great for the Red Wings.

So I'm off my rocker because I think Holland is going to trade some people before the season starts...

Yeah, I'm not sure why there's some incredulity in this thread about roster spots... When the Modano thing started, up, everyone seemed to take it as given that Meech and Ritola would be trade-bait anyway, along with possibly Miller for being superfluous, possibly even others. Now suddenly it's a crisis that Downey gets to come to camp because of too many forwards? What happened to "well, if <insert player> earns a spot..."?

maybe your insatisfiable lust for figure skating type hockey has knocked you off your rocker?

:lol: That was well-put.