• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:42 AM

:carrot: Give him a 2-way contract at league minimum,let him play in his 40 games and use him as a black ace for the playoffs.This made my day :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

:carrot: Give him a 2-way contract at league minimum,let him play in his 40 games and use him as a black ace for the playoffs.This made my day :thumbup:

Nobody even considered using him in the playoffs in '08. He was below Meech, Hartigan and probably Ritola on the depth chart.

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

Well you never know I guess.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:26 AM

It's times like this that I wish Franzen knew how to fight so we could kill this conversation for good. Holland wants to add a 40 year old first-ballot hall of famer in a 3rd line scoring role for around a million bucks and people get all up in arms ("we're hindering the development of our kids!!" etc). Now a 35 year old washed up scrapper gets a tryout and people get excited. Downey's an awesome guy and he deserves to play hockey somewhere, but it's not worth the roster spot for him to be a pylon and take on the other team's goon once every 4 games. If you're going to pick a vet as your 13th forward, why not go with Maltby?

Simple, because Maltby doesn't scrap... and not much else good either. Maltby is pretty useless nowadays.

Side note: It wasn't a dirty hit or anything but it is so nice to see Downey step up in that game. I loved to see Babs yelling too! Babs got heart and passion.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#25 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

lol did he finally learn how to skate?

Posted Image

#26 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

An old washed up fighter who will add nothing but a single attribute to a team that needs minute eaters not bench fodder... If this is what people want can't the wings just send a player to sit in the locker room for 10 mins every 5th game? It'll be the exact same, because the most time on the scoresheet down will ever have is penalty time.

Posted Image
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#27 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:53 AM

Groovy :siren:

#28 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Well, someone has got to take care of the music in the locker room I guess.

#29 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

I have no problem with signing him to a minor-league contract, or 2-way with the understanding that he will basically spend the entire season in GR, but at his age, and with the logjam we already have, there's no excuse for him to use up a roster spot, even with as much as I love Downey... now, as an injury call up, I'd have no problem with it, if he's in prime shape that is...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#30 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Don't get me wrong I like Downey, but he just isn't a good enough player to get any minutes of ice time on any team let a lone the Wings great GR guy. Would love to watch him there.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#31 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hopefully he doesn't hurt anyone while practicing :)

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#32 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

I guess if you're looking for a "smart" fighter Downey's a pretty good choice. He'll come cheap too.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

And he's the type of guy who goes out of his way to stick up for teammates. Anyone else remember his "justice" comment from a few years back? That was great.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#34 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

HELL YEAH

#35 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

An old washed up fighter who will add nothing but a single attribute to a team that needs minute eaters not bench fodder... If this is what people want can't the wings just send a player to sit in the locker room for 10 mins every 5th game? It'll be the exact same, because the most time on the scoresheet down will ever have is penalty time.

Other than a solid 6th d-man (which hopefully Kindl/Meech/Janik can fulfill), toughness is the one thing that the Wings are missing. Abby would not be the toughest player on any other team in the league. Hopefully Downey has improved his skating enough to play a regular shift. I would be happy to see him in ~40 games with the Wings this year (although more is always better- just not realistic).

#36 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

He could use a good "conditioning stint" with the Griffins. I wouldnt call Downey a no talent good either, he knows enough about the game to go out there put in a solid shift and not make mistakes. Much like May last year, you know he wont be putting up any points but he wouldnt be a liability. The DHE line was awesome last year, and is expected to be our 4th this year. They didnt really put up much offense but were just tons of fun to watch and were an energy line. If Downey replaced Draper on that line I can only see it becoming an even better energy line and more fun to watch. If he still has potential to earn a spot on the roster I would love the signing, especially if he is just taking playing time away from Draper and not the kids, or is in because of injuries.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'll take him over Modano six days a week and three times on Sunday. Even if it's a two-way deal for the minimum, he's still worth twice Modano. :)
Posted Image

#38 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,799 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Ohf****** rights! Downey is a gun, I hope he gets signed, one of the best guys in the buisness. Plus he couldnt hurt to have in case of rough games and helping out the kids in the minors.

#NOMOREKINDL

#39 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

Glad to see Wings give him a tryout out of respect for a good guy... but he won't ever play in the Winged Wheel ever again.

For those who say he "adds team toughness", I don't get. Because he likely won't ever suit up (too far down the depth chart behind Miller, Eaves, Ritola, Meech), and certainly won't EVER play in the playoffs.

Love Downey, but not sure why people are getting excited over this, he won't ever make the team.

Edited by Heaten, 28 July 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#40 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well there is your enforcer, oh ye of enforcer obsession ;)

Love Downey though. Figured he would get a shot again.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.