#1 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

Scroll down to see video

http://network.yardb...HIS_BIG/2947496

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#2 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

no its funny but no
Posted Image

#3 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:16 AM

no its funny but no

I was being sarcastic

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#4 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

Brings back fond memories of Bill Barber.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

soccer players apparently have too much time on their hands...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#6 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

#7 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Brings back fond memories of Bill Barber.

More like, memories of Teemu Selanne.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#8 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

That would be reason 2589714301293572314123094123894723512893057 I hate SOCCER (notice I put soccer in caps lock because people for some reason say futbol and go out of their way to correct North Americans when they say soccer, even though the game was originally called soccer, but was given the nickname "futbol" by lower class citizens in England)
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#9 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

That would be reason 2589714301293572314123094123894723512893057 I hate SOCCER (notice I put soccer in caps lock because people for some reason say futbol and go out of their way to correct North Americans when they say soccer, even though the game was originally called soccer, but was given the nickname "futbol" by lower class citizens in England)

I'm not here to disagree with you, I'm usually the guy that goes out of his way to say the "This is America, we speak American" kind of thing. But i never understood how American football somehow got the name football over American Soccer. I mean in American football, a foot only touches the ball like what 1/20th of the time? Where as in soccer, all you can use is a foot to hit the ball. Always found that weird.

Yup, my post has no relevance i know, i just always found that weird and wondered if anyone knew why?

#10 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

I'm not here to disagree with you, I'm usually the guy that goes out of his way to say the "This is America, we speak American" kind of thing. But i never understood how American football somehow got the name football over American Soccer. I mean in American football, a foot only touches the ball like what 1/20th of the time? Where as in soccer, all you can use is a foot to hit the ball. Always found that weird.

Yup, my post has no relevance i know, i just always found that weird and wondered if anyone knew why?

Originally, American football began as a modified form of rugby, where kicking is a much more frequent occurrence but still not as much as soccer. In fact, up until the 40's and 50's, there were just as many points scored by 'drop-kicking' as place-kicking, where a player could drop the ball and kick it once the ball hit the ground or bounced. American football underwent multiple evolutions to make it to its current form, but at its birth it was still essentially a game where most of the scoring was done with the ball being kicked through the goal.

I guess it would be kind of like if soccer players began using their heads to score most of the goals and kicking became an afterthought, in a hundred years everyone would associate headers with scoring and people would wonder why it is still called 'football' by some.

Edited by McAwesome, 28 July 2010 - 09:43 AM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#11 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Originally, American football began as a modified form of rugby, where kicking is a much more frequent occurrence but still not as much as soccer. In fact, up until the 40's and 50's, there were just as many points scored by 'drop-kicking' as place-kicking, where a player could drop the ball and kick it once the ball hit the ground or bounced. American football underwent multiple evolutions to make it to its current form, but at its birth it was still essentially a game where most of the scoring was done with the ball being kicked through the goal.

I guess it would be kind of like if soccer players began using their heads to score most of the goals and kicking became an afterthought, in a hundred years everyone would associate headers with scoring and people would wonder why it is still called 'football' by some.

Ah nice nice, who says you cant learn about other sports on a hockey forum? Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now.

#12 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

WHAT THE HELL??

I think at the 1:30 mark, 2 guys run in, separately, and jiggle a player's "business".

And people think Hudler's "cluck" is weird. He's got nothing on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYTNo6bNNU

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#13 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

that was not funny at all... thought out goal celebrations like this are one of the dumbest parts of any sport.

#14 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#15 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

I don't believe this to be the case, soccer is not the original name. I think this is how the name really came about:

- term "football" was used in England to describe many different sports, all of which were played "on foot" - generally by peasants, as opposed to other people who played sports on horseback.

- in around the 1860's, people decided that rather than a game where you had to carry the ball down the feild by foot, you could carry it (later to become rugby).

- a lot of people didn't like the idea of being able to carrying the ball with your hands, so they wanted to distinguish between the original sport which get the ball on the ground and they came up with the name Association Football. They also liked to shorten words, so it often became known as AsSOC Football.

- in around 1880, AsSOC was then referred to as "soccer", so it became soccer football. Eventually, they simply dropped the term term soccer and kept the simple football name.

#16 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

WHAT THE HELL??

I think at the 1:30 mark, 2 guys run in, separately, and jiggle a player's "business".

And people think Hudler's "cluck" is weird. He's got nothing on that.

This goal celebration brought to you by UPS! Let us handle your package!
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#17 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Nice!

This goal celebration brought to you by UPS! Let us handle your package!

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#18 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:56 AM

Mate, get your facts right before you go on an ignorant rant.

The full name of the sport is Association Football. In the 19th century the sport became extremely popular amongst the working class. The upper class preferred to play Rugby Football (aka Rugby Union). They referred to Association Football as "Soccer" as an insult, sneering and looking down their noses as they did so. That's why brits especially get their noses so put out of joint when people start calling it Soccer.

That snobbery still exists today at certain schools, some of which only have a Rugby XV and no football team, or you're not allowed to play for the football team unless you are in the Rugby team.

Toby - you were nearly right.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#19 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

Mate, get your facts right before you go on an ignorant rant.

The full name of the sport is Association Football. In the 19th century the sport became extremely popular amongst the working class. The upper class preferred to play Rugby Football (aka Rugby Union). They referred to Association Football as "Soccer" as an insult, sneering and looking down their noses as they did so. That's why brits especially get their noses so put out of joint when people start calling it Soccer.

That snobbery still exists today at certain schools, some of which only have a Rugby XV and no football team, or you're not allowed to play for the football team unless you are in the Rugby team.

Toby - you were nearly right.

http://www.todayifou...he-word-soccer/

should I make some snide remark about how wrong you were or should I just leave it be?
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#20 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

Just imagine Holmstrom is having another goal reviewed off of his butt.
Hockeytown - No Limits