• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Goal Celebration

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

That would be reason 2589714301293572314123094123894723512893057 I hate SOCCER (notice I put soccer in caps lock because people for some reason say futbol and go out of their way to correct North Americans when they say soccer, even though the game was originally called soccer, but was given the nickname "futbol" by lower class citizens in England)

That would be reason 2589714301293572314123094123894723512893057 I hate SOCCER (notice I put soccer in caps lock because people for some reason say futbol and go out of their way to correct North Americans when they say soccer, even though the game was originally called soccer, but was given the nickname "futbol" by lower class citizens in England)

I'm not here to disagree with you, I'm usually the guy that goes out of his way to say the "This is America, we speak American" kind of thing. But i never understood how American football somehow got the name football over American Soccer. I mean in American football, a foot only touches the ball like what 1/20th of the time? Where as in soccer, all you can use is a foot to hit the ball. Always found that weird.

Yup, my post has no relevance i know, i just always found that weird and wondered if anyone knew why?

I'm not here to disagree with you, I'm usually the guy that goes out of his way to say the "This is America, we speak American" kind of thing. But i never understood how American football somehow got the name football over American Soccer. I mean in American football, a foot only touches the ball like what 1/20th of the time? Where as in soccer, all you can use is a foot to hit the ball. Always found that weird.

Yup, my post has no relevance i know, i just always found that weird and wondered if anyone knew why?

Originally, American football began as a modified form of rugby, where kicking is a much more frequent occurrence but still not as much as soccer. In fact, up until the 40's and 50's, there were just as many points scored by 'drop-kicking' as place-kicking, where a player could drop the ball and kick it once the ball hit the ground or bounced. American football underwent multiple evolutions to make it to its current form, but at its birth it was still essentially a game where most of the scoring was done with the ball being kicked through the goal.

I guess it would be kind of like if soccer players began using their heads to score most of the goals and kicking became an afterthought, in a hundred years everyone would associate headers with scoring and people would wonder why it is still called 'football' by some.

Edited by McAwesome

Originally, American football began as a modified form of rugby, where kicking is a much more frequent occurrence but still not as much as soccer. In fact, up until the 40's and 50's, there were just as many points scored by 'drop-kicking' as place-kicking, where a player could drop the ball and kick it once the ball hit the ground or bounced. American football underwent multiple evolutions to make it to its current form, but at its birth it was still essentially a game where most of the scoring was done with the ball being kicked through the goal.

I guess it would be kind of like if soccer players began using their heads to score most of the goals and kicking became an afterthought, in a hundred years everyone would associate headers with scoring and people would wonder why it is still called 'football' by some.

Ah nice nice, who says you cant learn about other sports on a hockey forum? Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now.

Handegg_thumb4.jpg

I don't believe this to be the case, soccer is not the original name. I think this is how the name really came about:

- term "football" was used in England to describe many different sports, all of which were played "on foot" - generally by peasants, as opposed to other people who played sports on horseback.

- in around the 1860's, people decided that rather than a game where you had to carry the ball down the feild by foot, you could carry it (later to become rugby).

- a lot of people didn't like the idea of being able to carrying the ball with your hands, so they wanted to distinguish between the original sport which get the ball on the ground and they came up with the name Association Football. They also liked to shorten words, so it often became known as AsSOC Football.

- in around 1880, AsSOC was then referred to as "soccer", so it became soccer football. Eventually, they simply dropped the term term soccer and kept the simple football name.

WHAT THE HELL??

I think at the 1:30 mark, 2 guys run in, separately, and jiggle a player's "business".

And people think Hudler's "cluck" is weird. He's got nothing on that.

This goal celebration brought to you by UPS! Let us handle your package!

Mate, get your facts right before you go on an ignorant rant.

The full name of the sport is Association Football. In the 19th century the sport became extremely popular amongst the working class. The upper class preferred to play Rugby Football (aka Rugby Union). They referred to Association Football as "Soccer" as an insult, sneering and looking down their noses as they did so. That's why brits especially get their noses so put out of joint when people start calling it Soccer.

That snobbery still exists today at certain schools, some of which only have a Rugby XV and no football team, or you're not allowed to play for the football team unless you are in the Rugby team.

Toby - you were nearly right.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Mate, get your facts right before you go on an ignorant rant.

The full name of the sport is Association Football. In the 19th century the sport became extremely popular amongst the working class. The upper class preferred to play Rugby Football (aka Rugby Union). They referred to Association Football as "Soccer" as an insult, sneering and looking down their noses as they did so. That's why brits especially get their noses so put out of joint when people start calling it Soccer.

That snobbery still exists today at certain schools, some of which only have a Rugby XV and no football team, or you're not allowed to play for the football team unless you are in the Rugby team.

Toby - you were nearly right.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

should I make some snide remark about how wrong you were or should I just leave it be?

http://www.todayifou...he-word-soccer/

should I make some snide remark about how wrong you were or should I just leave it be?

I'd love for you to tell me how wrong I am since that link says almost exactly what I said - the full name of the sport is Association Football, and in the 19th century upper class toffs who prefered Rugby started calling it "soccer".

And who +1'd you? Did they even read the link and compare? :doh:

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Just imagine Holmstrom is having another goal reviewed off of his butt.

haha nice...don't forget the high sticks either on the point shots

I'd love for you to tell me how wrong I am since that link says almost exactly what I said - the full name of the sport is Association Football, and in the 19th century upper class toffs who prefered Rugby started calling it "soccer".

And who +1'd you? Did they even read the link and compare? :doh:

"...in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years. This happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”."

thus proving my original point...

To answer your second question, I am assume somebody +1'd me because they found my post entertaining. They didn't get their panties in a bunch because of something said (partly as a joke) on a message board

"...in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years. This happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”."

No, it says soccer was used before the "singular word" football, but it was still orginally football. In fact, it was actually football (the singular word) even earlier, but in that time the word referred to many different sports.

It was referred to as "association football", then "soccer football", then "soccer", then "football", so to me, it is pretty clear that "football" is really the orginal name.

haha nice...don't forget the high sticks either on the point shots

To answer your second question, I am assume somebody +1'd me because they found my post entertaining. They didn't get their panties in a bunch because of something said (partly as a joke) on a message board

That article is self contradictory and inaccurate.

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".

Today the sport is known as football in English-speaking countries in which it is the most popular football code; where other codes are more popular, the sport is more commonly referred to as soccer. Non-English-speaking countries predominantly use a variation of football, such as Spanish fútbol, Portuguese futebol or German Fußball.

The Middle Ages saw a huge rise in popularity of annual Shrovetide football matches throughout Europe, particularly in England.The game played in England at this time may have arrived with the Roman occupation.

The first detailed description of what was almost certainly football in England was given by William FitzStephen in about 1174.

For those wanting a further sporting education:

In 1363, King Edward III of England issued a proclamation banning "...handball, football, or hockey; coursing and cock-fighting, or other such idle games", showing that "football" — whatever its exact form in this case — was being differentiated from games involving other parts of the body, such as handball.

By 1608 the word "football" was used disapprovingly by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare's play King Lear contains the line: "Nor tripped neither, you base football player" (Act I, Scene 4). Shakespeare also mentions the game in A Comedy of Errors (Act II, Scene 1):

Am I so round with you as you with me,

That like a football you do spurn me thus?

You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither:

If I last in this service, you must case me in leather.

"Spurn" literally means to kick away, thus implying that the game involved kicking a ball between players.

King James I of England's Book of Sports (1618) however, instructs Christians to play at football every Sunday afternoon after worship

The first offside rules were devised during the late 18th century

The Côte d'Ivoire national football team helped secure a truce to the nation's civil war in 2006 and it helped further reduce tensions between government and rebel forces in 2007 by playing a match in the rebel capital of Bouaké, an occasion that brought both armies together peacefully for the first time. By contrast, football is widely considered to be the final proximate cause in the Football War in June 1969 between El Salvador and Honduras. The sport also exacerbated tensions at the beginning of the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s, when a match between Dinamo Zagreb and Red Star Belgrade devolved into rioting in March 1990

Interestingly, Baseball was popular in Britain in 1700s (and until about 1860 it was still far less popular in the USA than cricket). American Football was basically rugby until about 1880, and basketball was invented by accident by a YMCA tutor trying to keep students fit with only a clapped out old gym, a peach basket and an 'Association Football' to hand.

Bizzarely it appears as though Ice Hockey was invented by bored British soldiers in Canada....

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

That article is self contradictory and inaccurate.

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".

Today the sport is known as football in English-speaking countries in which it is the most popular football code; where other codes are more popular, the sport is more commonly referred to as soccer. Non-English-speaking countries predominantly use a variation of football, such as Spanish fútbol, Portuguese futebol or German Fußball.

The Middle Ages saw a huge rise in popularity of annual Shrovetide football matches throughout Europe, particularly in England.The game played in England at this time may have arrived with the Roman occupation.

The first detailed description of what was almost certainly football in England was given by William FitzStephen in about 1174.

For those wanting a further sporting education:

In 1363, King Edward III of England issued a proclamation banning "...handball, football, or hockey; coursing and cock-fighting, or other such idle games", showing that "football" — whatever its exact form in this case — was being differentiated from games involving other parts of the body, such as handball.

By 1608 the word "football" was used disapprovingly by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare's play King Lear contains the line: "Nor tripped neither, you base football player" (Act I, Scene 4). Shakespeare also mentions the game in A Comedy of Errors (Act II, Scene 1):

Am I so round with you as you with me,

That like a football you do spurn me thus?

You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither:

If I last in this service, you must case me in leather.

"Spurn" literally means to kick away, thus implying that the game involved kicking a ball between players.

King James I of England's Book of Sports (1618) however, instructs Christians to play at football every Sunday afternoon after worship

The first offside rules were devised during the late 18th century

The Côte d'Ivoire national football team helped secure a truce to the nation's civil war in 2006 and it helped further reduce tensions between government and rebel forces in 2007 by playing a match in the rebel capital of Bouaké, an occasion that brought both armies together peacefully for the first time. By contrast, football is widely considered to be the final proximate cause in the Football War in June 1969 between El Salvador and Honduras. The sport also exacerbated tensions at the beginning of the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s, when a match between Dinamo Zagreb and Red Star Belgrade devolved into rioting in March 1990

Interestingly, Baseball was popular in Britain in 1700s (and until about 1860 it was still far less popular in the USA than cricket). American Football was basically rugby until about 1880, and basketball was invented by accident by a YMCA tutor trying to keep students fit with only a clapped out old gym, a peach basket and an 'Association Football' to hand.

Bizzarely it appears as though Ice Hockey was invented by bored British soldiers in Canada....

+1. Good thorough answer.

Also, the game was originally played with a wooden ball, but it kept cracking due to low temperatures, thus having to replace it with a puck