• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Goal Celebration

Rate this topic

Originally, American football began as a modified form of rugby, where kicking is a much more frequent occurrence but still not as much as soccer. In fact, up until the 40's and 50's, there were just as many points scored by 'drop-kicking' as place-kicking, where a player could drop the ball and kick it once the ball hit the ground or bounced. American football underwent multiple evolutions to make it to its current form, but at its birth it was still essentially a game where most of the scoring was done with the ball being kicked through the goal.

I guess it would be kind of like if soccer players began using their heads to score most of the goals and kicking became an afterthought, in a hundred years everyone would associate headers with scoring and people would wonder why it is still called 'football' by some.

I don't know if it's been said or not, but you are correct. It wasn't until the game started to evolve in the mid 1900s that the forwards pass was made legal. Up until then, everyone knew you were running the ball. i think the first american football game ended 2-0 or something like that.

That article is self contradictory and inaccurate.

[soccer stuff]

Bizzarely it appears as though Ice Hockey was invented by bored British soldiers in Canada....

Well thanks for such a detailed history on hockey Earnest Hemingway.

Well thanks for such a detailed history on hockey Earnest Hemingway.

To be honest, I figured that with this being an Ice Hockey site, most of you lot would know more than me from across the pond (although if you want I can tell you about the British historical origins of non-ice hockey ;) ). As one of the token Brits on here, I have to defend football (or soccer if you prefer) from those who talk rubbish about it, seeing as it is one of the few topics I can pretty much guarantee to know more about than 90% of the posters on here. And being a classical actor, anything that can justify a Shakespeare quote is good!

As an aside, on of the things I love about this site, is the broad range of views, communication styles etc, which gives me an interesting insight into people I otherwise only meet in passing.

Oh and Hemmingway was over-rated...... :cool:

To be honest, I figured that with this being an Ice Hockey site, most of you lot would know more than me from across the pond (although if you want I can tell you about the British historical origins of non-ice hockey ;) ). As one of the token Brits on here, I have to defend football (or soccer if you prefer) from those who talk rubbish about it, seeing as it is one of the few topics I can pretty much guarantee to know more about than 90% of the posters on here. And being a classical actor, anything that can justify a Shakespeare quote is good!

As an aside, on of the things I love about this site, is the broad range of views, communication styles etc, which gives me an interesting insight into people I otherwise only meet in passing.

Oh and Hemmingway was over-rated...... :cool:

Rugby is better than American football. What they played in the World Cup was soccer.

Hemingway is amazing.

End.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

If anyone can solve this mystery, its THIS woman! :yowza::lol: