• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

Was wondering this the other day which was the most enjoyable to watch and I know I will get killed for it by guys like Doc saying just enjoy the run for all. As I certainly enjoyed them all I was just interested to see which was LGW's favorite. Probably pretty obvious it would be all but 2002 was great as I was actually at the game. 97 ended the drought and got to see Stevie raise it for the first time. 98 was for Vladdy of course. 08 was just great to watch guys like Hank dominate s*** stain and the Pens. So make your pick.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

2002 was the best team, but 2008 was my personal favorite of the Red Wings Stanley Cup victories.

That 2008 team was an absolute treat to watch. They put on a clinic every night with their puck possession. Dominant top line, hands down the best defense in the league and Ozzie was lights out in the playoffs.

Plus, it also shut the people up who always griped about the Red Wings "buying" championships. The salary cap has just proven the Red Wings are the best franchise in the NHL.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#3 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

I do love them all, but I had to go with 97. That was just the most exciting year for hockey in my life, was great to watch.
Posted Image

#4 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

It was a joy to watch them prove everyone wrong about them being too old and too slow. They killed with the puck possession they displayed and seeing Nick hoist the cup as the wings captain was the best thing ive seen in a while. That and it was the most recent.

#5 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Easily '97

That cup felt like a life-changing experience.

#6 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Love them all but 97 was my favorite 02 was the best all around team I think. I almost cried when they won in 97.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#7 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

As for the team itself i love them all. Its like trying to pick your favorite child. As for favorite championship, 97 takes the cake. Capping off all those years prior with a cup win in that fashion was pure biblical.

#8 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Easily '97

That cup felt like a life-changing experience.

This. Watching Stevie with the Cup is up there with getting married and the birth of my two sons.
*this space for rent*

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

That was a fun run and a special roster of players.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Probably 2002, just because of the entire hockey year. Dominating regular season, with a Team Canada Olympic Gold in the middle, followed by the comeback against Vancouver in the opening series (All my friends are Canucks homers, so it was an intense series), followed by the 5 game spanking of the Boos, followed by the game 7 destruction of Colorado in the WCF. I just wish we would have gotten to take out Toronto for the Cup instead of Carolina. Oh well.

f*** it, I can't pick one. Tie.

#11 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Probably 2002, just because of the entire hockey year. Dominating regular season, with a Team Canada Olympic Gold in the middle, followed by the comeback against Vancouver in the opening series (All my friends are Canucks homers, so it was an intense series), followed by the 5 game spanking of the Boos, followed by the game 7 destruction of Colorado in the WCF. I just wish we would have gotten to take out Toronto for the Cup instead of Carolina. Oh well.

f*** it, I can't pick one. Tie.

Oh man where I'm from if that series would've happened it would have been crazy. South Western Ontario is either leafs or wings fans basically and the Wings would have absolutely destroyed the leafs.

I voted 97. It ended the drought and that team was what I adore in a hockey team. Grit, determination, skill and toughness blended into one team

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#12 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

I've started threads like these before. Maybe not necessarily here but elsewhere. The consensus is usually overwhelming that 1997 was the favorite and I agree. 97 is definitely my favorite.

#13 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

This one is really tough for me. I was going between 1997 and 2002. And as much as I loved the memory of watching Stevie Y hoist the Cup for the first time, I had to go with 2002 by a slight edge. And for me, it's partly because the early 2000s were really, really good to me in life. My best friend died in '97, and then Vladdy's career gets ended in his prime. I just wasn't as happy a person back then. But 2002 I was thriving, loving life and having a great time. Literally everything was going right for me, so the Stanley Cup championship was definitely the icing on the cake for me. Plus that was such an epic squad. Arguably the most stacked we've ever been as a franchise. To this day I still miss that 2002 roster. That was the one year where almost every single hockey fan thought the Wings were gonna win the Cup. And they were all right. Also, that was the one team in a long time to actually win the Presidents Trophy and then go on to hoist the Cup. And that still hasn't been done since. That team was so good that it got the job done almost every night as soon as the first puck dropped game 1 of the regular season, all the way to the Stanley Cup finals.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#14 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

2002 was my pick but they all have a special place but Hasek is my favorite player and I was actually there so it wins.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#15 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Good post above. That '02 team was just unreal. Graduated that year and will always be the single best sporting event I was able to attend. Craziest thing when they announced that Nick won the Conn Smythe that got more of an ovation than Lord Stanley did I think. Oh what a night!!!

Edited by HankthaTank, 28 July 2010 - 09:44 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#16 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

Also, that team had something that no other team in NHL history has ever had before or since: 4 500+ goal scorers on the same team (Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille). And Steve was literally a warrior on one leg throughout the entire playoffs. Talk about an epic year.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#17 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Watching the 1997 playoffs and eventual Stanley Cup Victory was a moment of my childhood that I will always remember. I was 9 at the time, and I can remember going out in the family's van and honking the horn in our subdivision after the Wings won it.

Posted Image

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Love them all, although each one has a different feel and meaning.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

1997. No question in my mind. The buildup was awesome and the celebration party was massive.

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Nothing compares to our 1997 Cup winning roster; skill, and muscle :thumbup:

Well - our 1998 Cup team was great as well :)

'Evolution' created by Offsides