• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

Pick Your Favorite Wings' Title

Rate this topic

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2008 for me. At the time, I didn't think it would mean the most, but my dad was in the hospital for much of the summer of '08. No matter how dull the stay, or how painful or annoying the tests, he'd always raise his spirits by saying, "oh, well. At least we won the Cup." It got him through. He died in February of '09, so he went out on top.

Edited by 55fan

2008 for me. At the time, I didn't think it would mean the most, but my dad was in the hospital for much of the summer of '08. No matter how dull the stay, or how painful or annoying the tests, he's always raise his spirits by saying, "oh, well. At least we won the Cup." It got him through. He died in February of '09, so he went out on top.

your dad was :thumbup:

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

2002 for me. That Avs-Wing's series was the most exciting and intense series I have ever watched.

I can remember exactly where I was in '02 when Nick scored from center ice and destroyed Cloutier, the 7-0 laugher against Colorado, and the three OT game in the Finals.

That Igor Larionov back hand goal to the top shelf in the 3rd OT was sooo unforgettable! Also, chasing Patty Waaahhh to the bench in game 7 was one of the greatest hockey days of my entire life!

Easily '97

That cup felt like a life-changing experience.

Easily 97 for me as well. It WAS a life-changing experience.

Russian Five, Vladdy in his prime, Darren having a career year. The Wings steamrolled their way to their first Cup in my lifetime. I shed a tear or two.

97 was the most special because I had never seen the cup come home before. However, I was only in 5th grade and had only been watching hockey seriously the previous year (beginning of Avs rivalry). Personally, the 2008 cup was really great for me. As much as I loved and idolized Yzerman and the rest of the nucleus of the team of the 90s, I hadn't watched those players get drafted, improve, and work through the system. 2008 was special because it was the next generation of players and I had followed the progression of all of them closely. Plus as you mature, you pick up on the intricacies of the game more and that was fun to be able to witness all the way to the championship. 2008 was also my last year of college and I wasn't doing $#!T but watching hockey and kicking it. Haha.

Each Cup was awesome, but I don't think you can match how special the "first" one was in 97. With the team having gone so long and with so many heartbreaks in the years before it was just amazing. It is hard to compete with watching the entire Red Wings team stop Stevie from coming back to them with the Cup and instead waving him on to skate the Cup around the rink basically alone. That was a special moment, one that I have not seen since.

Each of them were special in their own way, but the 2008 one was my favorite. The Wings won it in my hometown in an arena that's 5 minutes from the hospital my son Caleb Yzerman [Last Name] was born in just six months earlier. Seeing the Wings win the Cup in Pittsburgh was something I never even imagined in my wildest dreams.