34 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

i used the all of the above feature...
97 ended the drought and i was an excited kid and life time wings fan (of 12 years at the time) and 97 kicked off the dyanasty. 98 was strictly a special group effort for vladdy. 02 was amazing for the guys the wings picked up and just a fun team to watch. 2008 was great because as someone above said, the wings showed they were still the team to beat even in the salary cap era. it was also a passing of the torch from guys like yzerman, shanahan etc. to lidstrom as captain and dats and Z. a new grinder like helm to bring the wings energy every night. they're all great for their own reasons. it's nice to see the superstars like Z take the reigns from yzerman with the cup and conn smythe. yzerman - federov - franzen pretty much transformed for us into zetterberg - datsyuk - franzen in the way they play, which shows how great the wings organization really is.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#22 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Each cup has it's own special feeling, but '97 was pure ecstasy. Being a Wings' fan for as long as I could remember, it was an unbelieveable feeling watching Stevie raise the cup, and the emotion of the building letting loose that Saturday night. Free beer from the vendors too!!
No more "1955" chants & signs, no more game 7s against Toronto and San Jose, no more choke label. The cup was OURS!!!
My best friend had died in 1990. He was a huge Wings fan, a hockey fan, and a hockey player. So when we won it, I did tear up, for both the Wings victory, and also that he wasn't there to share it with.

#23 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

1998, surprisingly.

We really didn't get a chance to celebrate 97 due to Vlady's accident, so winning it a second time and watching the team surround him with the cup was just a treat.

Posted Image

#24 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I'm with the person who said it's like asking a parent for his favorite child.

I have good memories of all of them. Watching Stevie raise the Cup in '97, something that hadn't been done since I was born was amazing. I remember standing there at work with tears in my eyes. In '98 it was for Vladdie, and I cried when he came out on the ice and held the Cup. I can remember exactly where I was in '02 when Nick scored from center ice and destroyed Cloutier, the 7-0 laugher against Colorado, and the three OT game in the Finals. And '08, good Lord, how could I forget that one?

I'm torn between them all.
Posted Image

#25 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

http://http://www.yo...feature=related
Goosebumps... I still love them all but this was pure euphoria. My dad was crying like a baby being a season ticket holder at Olympia for years and the beginning of the Joe and even a little into the dynasty years. This was just undescribable.

At the end with the credits cracks me up everytime when Stevie was like, "Is this the real one or a replica?" and then how shocked he was it was the real one...lol epic

Edited by HankthaTank, 29 July 2010 - 02:10 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#26 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

The 1997 Cup...simply because it put an end to the drought and it was the first Red Wings Cup I ever witnessed. As much as the others felt great to win, that one meant so much to me.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

2008 for me. At the time, I didn't think it would mean the most, but my dad was in the hospital for much of the summer of '08. No matter how dull the stay, or how painful or annoying the tests, he'd always raise his spirits by saying, "oh, well. At least we won the Cup." It got him through. He died in February of '09, so he went out on top.

Edited by 55fan, 29 July 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

2008 for me. At the time, I didn't think it would mean the most, but my dad was in the hospital for much of the summer of '08. No matter how dull the stay, or how painful or annoying the tests, he's always raise his spirits by saying, "oh, well. At least we won the Cup." It got him through. He died in February of '09, so he went out on top.

your dad was :thumbup:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#29 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

2002 for me. That Avs-Wing's series was the most exciting and intense series I have ever watched.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#30 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

I can remember exactly where I was in '02 when Nick scored from center ice and destroyed Cloutier, the 7-0 laugher against Colorado, and the three OT game in the Finals.

That Igor Larionov back hand goal to the top shelf in the 3rd OT was sooo unforgettable! Also, chasing Patty Waaahhh to the bench in game 7 was one of the greatest hockey days of my entire life!

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#31 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Easily '97

That cup felt like a life-changing experience.

Easily 97 for me as well. It WAS a life-changing experience.

Russian Five, Vladdy in his prime, Darren having a career year. The Wings steamrolled their way to their first Cup in my lifetime. I shed a tear or two.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#32 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

2002 was my favorite, then 1997, 2008, and 1998.

Probably my favorite non-cup teams were 2000 and 2004.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#33 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

97 was the most special because I had never seen the cup come home before. However, I was only in 5th grade and had only been watching hockey seriously the previous year (beginning of Avs rivalry). Personally, the 2008 cup was really great for me. As much as I loved and idolized Yzerman and the rest of the nucleus of the team of the 90s, I hadn't watched those players get drafted, improve, and work through the system. 2008 was special because it was the next generation of players and I had followed the progression of all of them closely. Plus as you mature, you pick up on the intricacies of the game more and that was fun to be able to witness all the way to the championship. 2008 was also my last year of college and I wasn't doing $#!T but watching hockey and kicking it. Haha.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#34 RedWingsJunkie

RedWingsJunkie

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Each Cup was awesome, but I don't think you can match how special the "first" one was in 97. With the team having gone so long and with so many heartbreaks in the years before it was just amazing. It is hard to compete with watching the entire Red Wings team stop Stevie from coming back to them with the Cup and instead waving him on to skate the Cup around the rink basically alone. That was a special moment, one that I have not seen since.

#35 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Each of them were special in their own way, but the 2008 one was my favorite. The Wings won it in my hometown in an arena that's 5 minutes from the hospital my son Caleb Yzerman [Last Name] was born in just six months earlier. Seeing the Wings win the Cup in Pittsburgh was something I never even imagined in my wildest dreams.