• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jett1913

It's Official: Turco to Hawks

Rate this topic

Couldn't disagree more.

1. NHL embarrassed itself for hiring such imbeciles to referee games in the playoffs.

2. Red Wings played more games than any team in the entire NHL since lockout. The 2006 roster wasn't much different from the 2010 roster. Of course this will start wearing on players as they play more games than all other players in the world... despite how "professional athletes", they are still human beings.

3. Red Wings suffered from one of the worst injury riddled regular season than most can remember from the history of the franchise. No way these players were healthy going into the post season.

4. Despite all odds, Red Wings still made it to the 2nd round and played well enough to win against the #1 team in the West... Just couldn't get over the hump (See: injuries, phantom calls / 5-on3s).

I may be the minority here, but I am completely satisfied with the Red Wings and appreciate their efforts with all things considered. Red Wings are, without a doubt, the best team since lockout. Why can't others appreciate all this teams success and accomplishments?

Was just about to post this.

Also, why are people in glee over Chicago's troubles? Why wouldn't we be in glee over our biggest rival's troubles?

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

3-2 isn't exactly stellar numbers for any goalie worth his salt. Comparing him to Nabokov's doesn't strengthen the argument either, rather it just lumps him in with another playoff underachiever.

The 06/07 playoffs were his only decent run. Any *solid* playoff goalie raises their level of play and their numbers somewhat significantly come postseason. Marty doesn't fall into that category.

I never said he was a playoff game breaker, just replying to the fact that his stats are actually slightly above average for playoff goaltenders. He's at the end of his career and likely won't do much, but it's not like he's Jose Theodore out there. A 2.17 GAA and a 9.14 Save percentage is not horrible anyway you look at it.

I never said he was a playoff game breaker, just replying to the fact that his stats are actually slightly above average for playoff goaltenders. He's at the end of his career and likely won't do much, but it's not like he's Jose Theodore out there. A 2.17 GAA and a 9.14 Save percentage is not horrible anyway you look at it.

Perhaps not, but its nothing to write home about *when it comes to playoff goaltending* either.

From Toronto Star :

Bowman said he had been eyeing Turco for some time and trying to co-ordinate the timing of the signing so another NHL team wouldn’t take him.

“We talked it over and Marty is the guy we certainly had interest in for a long time here,” Bowman said via conference call. “We’re fortunate that he had some patience with us, which speaks to the kind of guy he is and that he wants to be here.

“We’ve been working on parallel paths for a while.”

Guest Heaten

From Toronto Star :

Lol @ "Marty is the guy we certainly had interest in for a long time here" [...] "We're fortunate that he had some patience with us, which speaks to the kind of guy he is and that he wants to be here."

He had "patience" because no other team wanted him and he and his agent grossly over-estimated the goalie market. Another BS statement by Stan. The guy is nothing like his dad. This guy is a complete and utter bulls***ter... even when it doesn't have any impact on the situation.

Edited by Heaten

Guest mindfly

So what do the chicago team and salary cap situation look like at the moment? and what does it look like if they waive huet?

Edited by mindfly

So what do the chicago team and salary cap situation look like at the moment? and what does it look like if they waive huet?

Capgeek either knows something we don't know, or is already planning for the inevitable. If no other moves are made that leaves them with $3M to fill 3-4 roster spots. Not ideal, but certainly doable.

lets not count our chickens before they hatch here fellas. turco is a good goalie, given the upgrade on defense in chicago from dallas he can only benefit. look for him to be more consistent with chicago then he was with dallas.

look at his peripheral numbers for playoffs... granted his record is 21-26... he has a 2.17 gaa and a .914 which are quite respectable

Lol... Banking the future? Hardly. Try again troll.

Troll? What are you talking about? I've been on here longer than you. Just because I have a life outside a message board doesn't make me a troll.

Have we not turned the goal-tending reigns over to Jimmy Howard? Those are his playoff numbers.

Edited by GoOzzieGo

Guest VAL FILPPULA

Couldn't disagree more.

1. NHL embarrassed itself for hiring such imbeciles to referee games in the playoffs.

2. Red Wings played more games than any team in the entire NHL since lockout. The 2006 roster wasn't much different from the 2010 roster. Of course this will start wearing on players as they play more games than all other players in the world... despite how "professional athletes", they are still human beings.

3. Red Wings suffered from one of the worst injury riddled regular season than most can remember from the history of the franchise. No way these players were healthy going into the post season.

4. Despite all odds, Red Wings still made it to the 2nd round and played well enough to win against the #1 team in the West... Just couldn't get over the hump (See: injuries, phantom calls / 5-on3s).

I may be the minority here, but I am completely satisfied with the Red Wings and appreciate their efforts with all things considered. Red Wings are, without a doubt, the best team since lockout. Why can't others appreciate all this teams success and accomplishments?

+1 very good post. I too am happy with how the Red Wings played last season. Any other team would have had a meltdown, not the Wings.

chicago loses on this deal - niemi's biggest number was shutouts: 7 in 33 games;

see tampa bay 2005, the kept the core with the exception of the goalie;

turco just isn't good as he once was; he show flashes of brilliance, but won't for the better part of a season

on an aside: this makes signing modano a bit more interesting...

The Hawks did well to get a goalie of Turco's caliber for that cheap. He might not be great, but for that price it's a steal. So it's a good move for them.

However, from our perspective it's even better. I'm going to love playing against the Hawks this year.

Guest VAL FILPPULA

The Hawks did well to get a goalie of Turco's caliber for that cheap. He might not be great, but for that price it's a steal. So it's a good move for them.

However, from our perspective it's even better. I'm going to love playing against the Hawks this year.

That's debatable. There is a reason why nobody signed Turco until today

I have to question this move.

It would have been tough, but Chicago could have fit Niemi in under the cap. This move makes it a little easier this year, but I'm not sure that it really improves their team (it could make them worse, if Turco continues to degrade). Apparently, there were some concerns about the future, since Niemi was awarded a one year deal and would have become UFA after this year. But I don't see how giving a one year deal to a 35 year old helps that situation.

Niemi had a very good rookie season, and overall his playoff performance was decent. With the bonus overage being just a one year thing, Chicago's cap situation next summer would be much better. With Seabrook and Brouwer the only other important FAs, keeping Niemi then wouldn't have been too hard.

Now they have to find another goalie next summer, and who knows what will be available. I think they're taking a big risk here for a pretty minor gain.

The Hawks made the right move today. Niemi was offered contracts both for 1 year and multiple years, and turned them all down. If they took him back for 2.75, it would have put a ridiculous crunch on the salary cap in 2010-2011 and then he would have left after that season for a bigger contract.

Now the Hawks can comfortably ice a 22 man roster and have the freedom to bring anyone and everyone up, including the more expensive young players like Kyle Beach.

As it is now, they have a good goalie who has never played on a team this good. I expect good things out of Turco.

No Turco hasn't done well against the Wings. But the Hawks can't worry about how he matches up with teams that can't even advance far enough in the playoffs to reach them :o

Edited by Sarava

turco is going to benifit hard from a strong chicago defense... but he still has a losing playoff record and is known for being a choker but at 1.5 per year thats a good deal for the hawks especially with their cap issues.

Wins, losses and GAA have more to do with the team playing in front of you. The most important goaltending stat is save %.

In the playoffs

Turco .914

Niemi .910

Almost the same. In Turco's last playoff 2008-2009 he had .922 save percentage. I'd take Turco ad 1.2M over Niemi at 2.75M any day. But neither are elite goaltenders.

Edited by chrisdetroit

Guest Heaten

Chicago will need to find a dirt-cheap reliable backup or Turco will be faced with playing a s*** load of games and risk running out of gas. Not that I expect them to go deep in the playoffs anyhow.

Another interesting thing is BH just won the cup, yet there are reports (the source is floating around on these boards) that despite winning the cup and having a record year with merchant sales, the franchise is still in the negative. What happens next year when they are paying Huet $5+ million to go away and play someplace else, and the team doesn't have as successful year? Ownership is going to lose even more money... Will they refuse to allow their games to be aired on television if they don't make money.... or do some other stupid publicity stunt?

You never know what to expect from that bone head organization.

Guest mindfly

Turco can play 70 games, they have goalies in their system, like that crawford kid...

Guest Heaten

No Turco hasn't done well against the Wings. But the Hawks can't worry about how he matches up with teams that can't even advance far enough in the playoffs to reach them :o

Interesting considering Wings were in the WCF, SCF (cup), SCF, WQF. Then I look up the Blackhawks post season and I read: Did not qualify, Did not qualify, Lost to the Red Wings in 5, cup... then 2 weeks later biggest firesale since lockout.

Red Wings will make the playoffs next season. I wouldn't bet on the Hawks with such thin depth, rookies, washed up goalie, poor management, poor ownership, plus an injury or two would be catastrophic.

Troll? What are you talking about? I've been on here longer than you. Just because I have a life outside a message board doesn't make me a troll.

Have we not turned the goal-tending reigns over to Jimmy Howard? Those are his playoff numbers.

Fine. Then you're just clueless. Either way.

Guest mindfly

Turco really is better than Niemi. The only plus for Detroit is that Turco has nightmares about winged wheels. But this was a really good solution to their goaltending problem.

Too true, and Turco is probably the best goalie stick-handler in the league together with the other Marty, and with the D that chicago has it could be very good for their team...if they also can limit the shots against like they did last year albeit unlikely when their forward depth is much worse, he would look like a wall in windy city.