• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jett1913

It's Official: Turco to Hawks

Rate this topic

Marty Turco is 1-9-2 in 13 Games Played at Joe Louis Arena. 3.31 Goals Against Average with a Save Percentage of .884.

*ahem* ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Jett1913

Turco really? He might have been good enough to get it done with the team they had last year? This years team? not a chance in hell. They throw away a young goalie they know can play at a high level to save a million bucks?

Welcome back central division title, glad to see it was only a one year departure from your home :lol:

How are those repeat chances looking now with a s***ty ass goalie with a rookie as backup. oh but they still have their "core" of great players yea with a bunch of scrub rookies and cast offs from other teams. who do they still have from this core Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Kieth, Seabrook, Campbell, Kjalmerson. Soooooo they can ice a championship team with that???? OO wait I forgot they still have the saving grace in thomas kopecky. I can't believe they had the gonads to post that stupid story on NHL.com without dying from laughter.

I'm just surprised that Turco bit on this one after rejecting the Philly deal for more money.

I read elsewhere that he wanted a one-year deal this contract with a good team (to get his stats up) before signing a long-term deal next offseason. I don't know if this is true though- it seems a lot of players priced themselves too high at the beginning of free agency.

This isn't a bad move by Chicago at all. This is probably the best they could have done given the circumstances.

Turco probably thought he had a better chance of not only playing for a contender but making more money as well. On top of Philly, other doors have closed since their offer and he probably made a "panic" decision. Chicago isn't going to be garbage, but they'll very likely be worse than Philly.

He's probably kicking himself for not signing when he had the chance.

The Chicago Blackhawks have walked away from the $2.75 million contract that was awarded to Antti Niemi in arbitration, which makes the Stanley Cup-winning goalie an unrestricted free agent.

Instead, the Blackhawks have signed veteran netminder Marty Turco to a one-year, $1.3 million contract.

The team confirmed the goalie shuffle in a conference call on Monday.

"Of course it would be a loss (to lose Niemi), but the nature of sports is that change does happen," said Blackhawks' general manager Stan Bowman last Thursday, prior to the arbitration award. "My job is to try and find a way to make things work if that's a necessity. You kind of have to embrace change and realize it's an opportunity for somebody else."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318

Edited by darkmanx

This is actually a VERY smart movedesperation move by the Hawks...

with that said, you can automatically chalk up 3 wins for us now... I mean, he does have to play at the Joe for those 3 games :D

Once the clock hit 0.00 and they won the cup there hasn't been one thing thats happened with that franchise that has been smart. Every move they have made has been out of pure necessity. They sold out to win the cup and I will give them credit for one thing...it worked. I know around here we get mad that we dont win the cup every year but I will take what we have had over the last 15+ years over what they had for one year any day of the week. In my 20 years as a Wings fan it has been awesome to grow up watching guys who stuck with the team for years ..(Yzerman, Shanny, Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, Ozzie, Homer). The fans in Chicago were just starting to become fans of some of these guys and they are already out the door. Granted they still have some great young talent there but we will just have to see how things pan out around there.

Turco really? He might have been good enough to get it done with the team they had last year? This years team? not a chance in hell. They throw away a young goalie they know can play at a high level to save a million bucks?

Welcome back central division title, glad to see it was only a one year departure from your home :lol:

How are those repeat chances looking now with a s***ty ass goalie with a rookie as backup. oh but they still have their "core" of great players yea with a bunch of scrub rookies and cast offs from other teams. who do they still have from this core Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Kieth, Seabrook, Campbell, Kjalmerson. Soooooo they can ice a championship team with that???? OO wait I forgot they still have the saving grace in thomas kopecky. I can't believe they had the gonads to post that stupid story on NHL.com without dying from laughter.

Why do you guys not understand that Niemi was an average goalie? Oh he won the CUp, so he must be great.

Turco @ 1.3 m >>>>>>>>>>>>> Niemi at 2.75 and it's not even close at all.

We replaced an average goalie with another average one. What devastation.

Why do you guys not understand that Niemi was an average goalie? Oh he won the CUp, so he must be great.

An average goalie who got a hot streak replaced with an aging average goalie.

To save a little over a million dollars in capspace rather then keeping what could be your dynasty goalie doesn't make much sense to me. Hawks have had to embrace the fact of change sure, but paying your number 1 starting goalie who just won you a cup 2.75 million seems more then fair. I guess Niemi wasn't apart of "their core" which confuses me since being a starter, 26 year old stanley cup champion usually say's otherwise.

Hell I should just be stoked they just replaced Niemi with Detroit's goal lamp.

Turco is on a downslide - Neimi has a very good chance at getting better. As a Wings fan, I'm thrilled with this move. Thank you!

Guest TERROR

Huet will get waived and his cap hit will be gone.

If the Hawks had any intention of waiving Huet, and thus erasing his cap hit, I fail to see why they would have walked away from Niemi.

I think everyone here knows Niemi does blow and he isn't worth that much. But Turco is continually the Wings *****, and he is now the division rival. Not to mention he has gone downhill and won't nearly have the support that Neimi had while he was net. Basically no matter whether they signed Turco or Neimi there goaltending is going to blow. Turco= back up on great, tandem on good, and starter on lower.

Edited by ben_usmc