• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

datsyukian_deke13

Mike Modano signs with Detroit

Rate this topic

Malts' time for free love is over. Same as Cheli's was last offseason.

As for defense, I completely agree that a stable, veteran Dman is *essential* for the bottom pairing, but Modano's signing won't eliminate the chance of bringing in a $1 million guy, which is all they really need. on top of that, Modo gives the Wings so much depth up front it'll be sick.

It'll have to be someone for under a million. If you give Abdelkader and Helm $900,000 each (probably fairly accurate), then there is about $700,000 left in cap space. Holland definitely wants at least $500,000 for injury call ups during the season, so the way this likely plays out is Meech gets traded for a low pick and a veteran D-man is signed for about $700,000-$800,000

i must be still drunk. i cant believe this. ken holland is really liking these one year deals. and then bring the player back again. ok so tuzzi AND modano. am i the only one NOT liking this? :ranting:

nick has started to age, malts is getting NO love. am i the only one who thinks we should have gotten a damn good d-man for a few years than sign modano for one? i think kenny is experimenting with something...

No, you're definitely not alone.

Modano has the upside of giving the Wings three scoring lines, which they're gonna need because right now their bottom defensive pairing is suspect, and if a D man gets injured this season it's gonna be big problems. And all of that in front of a sophomore goaltender.

I like that Modano makes three scary lines for the Wings, I just think it only leaves money for a plugger on the bottom pairing instead of a guy who we could've had for a few years and would've been a slight upgrade.

Modano has the upside of giving the Wings three scoring lines, which they're gonna need because right now their bottom defensive pairing is suspect, and if a D man gets injured this season it's gonna be big problems. And all of that in front of a sophomore goaltender.

I like that Modano makes three scary lines for the Wings, I just think it only leaves money for a plugger on the bottom pairing instead of a guy who we could've had for a few years and would've been a slight upgrade.

Maybe the guy Kenny has in mind for the bottom pair isn't available yet and this is just a time killer? Or not. Either way, pretty cool when the only thing we have to gripe about is the bottom pair and lack of a fighter. I'll take that 'problem' every season.

It'll have to be someone for under a million. If you give Abdelkader and Helm $900,000 each (probably fairly accurate), then there is about $700,000 left in cap space. Holland definitely wants at least $500,000 for injury call ups during the season, so the way this likely plays out is Meech gets traded for a low pick and a veteran D-man is signed for about $700,000-$800,000

Not necessarily.

Using $900,000 for both Helm and Abs, $1.25 for Modano and $1 million for a Veteran Dman puts the Wings $275,377 over the cap. If Kenny moves Miller and Meech, that gives the Wings $874,623 worth of cap space with a 22-Man roster of 13 forwards, 7 Dmen and 2 goalies signed.

I understand these sentiments completely. I've been terrified by the thought of that bottom pairing for the last few months, but now that numbers are in there's really no reason Modano's signing will keep Kenny and Co. from bringing in what they need for the bottom pairing. If Miller and Meech are moved, Kenny can realistically add a Dman costing $1.375 million and still have $500k for the injury bug.

Guest mindfly

The question is if there's a market for meech and miller? They got a GR Defenseman and a 5th rounder for Leino, but leino had a bit more hype surrounding him... miller was a lightning waived player and meech has had en spare D spot on the wings for quite some time now...best case scenario is a 5-7th rounder eh?

This coupled with the return of Huds and a healthy Cleary is going to give us an absolutely sick third line. Hopefully this means Miller and Meech are out the door via trade for a solid bottom pairing defenseman or picks then we can sign Hnidy. Maybe Holland really thinks Smith can do it though so who knows

Holland definitely wants at least $500,000 for injury call ups during the season

I don't buy that for one second. I know he has said it, but I think it's just a line to potentially throw other teams off. Holland will ice the best team possible and if that means spending right up to the cap, that's what I think he will do. I'm hoping soon after Modano announces signing here, Holland resigns all of Helm, Abds and Lilja and trades/waives Miller and Meech. After that, we had a great off season and I can't wait for the season to start so we can kick ass.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Please don't move Drew Miller. Meech and Ritola, please... Draper's contract (as much as I love the guy) really hurts about now, considering he's the 13th forward.

I really like the forward lines, but now is the time to post some SERIOUS possibilities for defensemen.

New thread? Ready... go!

Please don't move Drew Miller. Meech and Ritola, please... Draper's contract (as much as I love the guy) really hurts about now, considering he's the 13th forward.

I really like the forward lines, but now is the time to post some SERIOUS possibilities for defensemen.

New thread? Ready... go!

Who would you move besides Miller and Meech. I agree I would get rid of draper over Miller but thats not going to happen, so what else can you do. I would rather have a solid 6th dman then a combo of Miller and Meech, Theyre not needed this season

Guest mindfly

Zion, Draper is untouchable at this stage of his career to be honest, the loyalty factor, that he only has 1year left, that he has a NTC... it's impossible the owners and management group would treat such a player with a trade/waive now.

Trade Meech and you'll have $1.2 in cap space with carrying 14 forwards. There's no need for $500k for injury call ups. I keep hearing Holland wants to carry a full 23 man roster (14f 7d) so there wouldn't be a roster spot for a call up even if we had the cap room. Someone would have to go on LTIR anyway. So, spend the full $1.2 on d man.

oh boy, this offense is shapinp up to be a dandy.

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure if the fat lady isn't warming up at the Maltby house...at least for his days here as a Wing.

In addition, if Mike gels well and is contributing offensively, (by the numbers...not by arbitrary feelings such as "he had a few good plays last game and looked like the old Madano" type banter) I would look for Kenny to package up a few players (maybe a few Griffs and maybe one regular Wing??) for a solid defensemen before the trade deadline. Not a huge name D, just a solid vetran who can be trusted and can make a good first pass. I realize that many, including Cleary, have NTC's, but I gotta believe Kenny knows deep down he's going to need some help on D if they plan to go deep into the playoffs. IMO...I think Kenny wants to watch how the early/mid part of this season plays out and look to see who is expendable, then make a deal for for a D man.

I would rather see Abdelkader get the opportunity. Eaves/Miller? which one doesnt play now?

I take Eaves over Miller, personally. I feel that they offer essentially the same thing. Though I liked the Eaves, Miller, Helm line when it was in place last year.

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure if the fat lady isn't warming up at the Maltby house...at least for his days here as a Wing.

I hoped we could have signed him to a 2-way deal and let him lead the Griffs and be a call up if needed. He is still solid defensively, but obviously there is zero room for him.

New thread? Ready... go!

Technically 14th, maybe 15th depending on how Ritola does at camp. But as others said he's untouchable. Someone has to go; Eaves, Miller, and Ritola are the only options (Maybe Abby, I think he is still waiver exempt).

Trade Meech and you'll have $1.2 in cap space with carrying 14 forwards. There's no need for $500k for injury call ups. I keep hearing Holland wants to carry a full 23 man roster (14f 7d) so there wouldn't be a roster spot for a call up even if we had the cap room. Someone would have to go on LTIR anyway. So, spend the full $1.2 on d man.

You can still call up replacements for short term injuries that aren't eligible for LTIR exemption. But with a full roster there'd have to be 4 such injuries before it became an issue. And we don't really have anyone to call up anyway, so it's even less of an issue.

But $1-1.5 million isn't going to get much of a defenseman. Saving ~$800k for a deadline move though, would allow us to add $3M+ in salary. Not sure who might be available in that price range, but likely much better than anything we could get for around $1M.

Guest mindfly

Holland has however stated that abdelkader and helm WILL in fact be on the team, they are not going to be sent down when they're 23