• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

datsyukian_deke13

Mike Modano signs with Detroit

Rate this topic

i must be still drunk. i cant believe this. ken holland is really liking these one year deals. and then bring the player back again. ok so tuzzi AND modano. am i the only one NOT liking this? :ranting:

nick has started to age, malts is getting NO love. am i the only one who thinks we should have gotten a damn good d-man for a few years than sign modano for one? i think kenny is experimenting with something...

And which damn good d-man where you going to get for $1.25M?

Zion, Draper is untouchable at this stage of his career to be honest, the loyalty factor, that he only has 1year left, that he has a NTC... it's impossible the owners and management group would treat such a player with a trade/waive now.

He said it hurts, which he is right IMO, not we should trade him.

Malts' time for free love is over.

Just like Modano's in Dallas? :ph34r:

Edited by dragonballgtz

Guest CaliWingsNut

Go Modano! F-ing finally... How long has this been going on? And more importantly - how many pages will a combined thread about Modano reach?

Losing a prospect that then turns around and has a crazy off-season is never fun. But considering there was nothing - NOTHING - in his play when he was here that suggested he was capable of it I don't feel pissed about it at all.

Did you miss the 2008-09 season?

Yes, he didn't seem to be fitting in, or was in a tremendous slump. However, (in 08-09) he absolutely proved, without a doubt, that he could play at an NHL level.

Edit: Glad modano is on board.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

Caption Fail (from posted news article)

captionfailmodano.jpg

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Babcock believes Modano has a lot left

Mike Babcock expressed his firm belief that the Detroit Red Wings would sign Mike Modano when he gave an exclusive interview to NHL.com last month. Now that it reportedly will come true, with the Detroit Free Press reporting that Modano and the Wings will announce the signing on Thursday, Babcock is not the least bit surprised.

"I'm no more convinced today than I was then, but I think it's going to happen and we'd be excited for him to come," Babcock told NHL.com on Tuesday. "We think he'd be a good fit for us and excited to play for us and we think he'll have a real good year. If he comes to us I'm a big believer he'll end up playing again next year, too. I think he's got that kind of legs left in him. And remember, he's not coming here to be the guy; he's coming here to be one of the guys."

Modano, who's golfing in Scotland, confirmed via text to the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday that he has decided to play with the Wings.

Babcock, who has been stumping to get Modano on the roster for a while now, sees his options for line combinations and power-play units growing if the 40-year-old makes it official on Thursday, as the Free Press report indicated. He also sees the Red Wings getting back to being the puck possession team that won the Stanley Cup in 2008 and played to Game 7 of the Final in 2009.

"We're trying to get back to being the Red Wings, not like last year when we were taped together all year, had no depth and we rode people too hard so when we got to the playoffs we were exhausted. We think Nick (Lidstrom) has some left in him, but not if we're defending all the time. We need to get the puck and go. Our goal is to be loaded up." -- Mike Babcock "We're trying to get back to being the Red Wings, not like last year when we were taped together all year, had no depth and we rode people too hard so when we got to the playoffs we were exhausted," Babcock said. "We think Nick (Lidstrom) has some left in him, but not if we're defending all the time. We need to get the puck and go. Our goal is to be loaded up."

Modano, who grew up in the Detroit area and whose parents still live there, fits into that philosophy because he would give the Wings another scoring option. He has 1,359 points in 1,459 NHL regular-season games.

"What he is is just another guy that can score, another guy you have to worry about a little bit," Babcock said.

Before the summer began, Babcock penciled in Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg to start the 2010-11 season together on the top line with Tomas Holmstrom serving as the other wing. Babcock is still planning on that.

If Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who played on different lines for long stretches last season, are playing together that means Valtteri Filppula assumes the role as the Wings' No. 2 center. Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi would be his wings, Babcock envisions.

With the top six already ironed out, Modano's value becomes greater because Babcock sees the all-time leading American-born scorer in NHL history fitting in as the Wings' third-line center between Dan Cleary and the returning Jiri Hudler, who spent last season playing in Russia.

If Modano is there, that means Justin Abdelkader, who would have been the third-line center, can drop into the fourth-line rotation with Darren Helm, Kris Draper, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller and maybe Mattias Ritola.

"It puts Abby and Helmer in a spot where they should be for another year if they're going to be on a winning team," Babcock said.

Modano may be 40, but he scored 30 points in 59 games last season on a non-playoff team. Babcock confirmed that Modano will be given the chance to play not only on the third line, but also on the point of the Wings' second power-play unit opposite Niklas Kronwall.

It's not farfetched to think that if Modano stays healthy, he could produce upwards of 50 points.

"That's kind of what I'm thinking," Babcock said. "Because of his ability to shoot the puck, if he gets the puck to Hudler and he gets open, he can score."

Hudler, who had 57 points in 2008-09, will be expected to produce north of 60 and Cleary likely around 50. If they all stay healthy, the Wings could have one of the best third lines in the NHL.

"Hudler is a better player than people think," Babcock said. "I missed him way more last season than I thought I was going to miss him. To me, the kid is magic. We're thrilled to have him back. I like our team here. I even said that to my wife."

He said it hurts, which he is right IMO, not we should trade him.

Just like Modano's in Dallas? :ph34r:

Are you seriously comparing Modano to Maltby?

Modano currently has 10-times the offensive talent Malts ever had and he can shore up a third line that will terrify every other team in the NHL. Maltby flat-out can't crack Detroit's roster. The very definition of Apples and Oranges.

absolutely not, the Stars chose not to sign him, he didn't leave. He will be greeted like a returning hero should be greeted.

I don't know, this should be expected, but it doesn't always end up that way. If he went to Minnesota I don't think any Stars fan would care, but there is some bad blood between the Wings and Stars.

It's kind of like being on your hometown team for a decade and being the Captain for a few of those years. Then being traded to a big rival team, which isn't your choice (from what I recall)...fans from your former team pretty much boo you every chance they get :ph34r::hehe:

"Hudler is a better player than people think," Babcock said. "I missed him way more last season than I thought I was going to miss him. To me, the kid is magic. We're thrilled to have him back. I like our team here. I even said that to my wife."

Lol... Babcock is the best.

My uncle played a bit with Modano, so I told my aunt who is a huge Wings fan about this and she pretty much flipped out. It was classic :clap:

Edited by cjm502

Modano is still a great player great leadership and experience i went to a dozen dallas stars games last year and modano looked great out there he will get 20+ goals for sure here and i think he will even move up to the 2nd or first line sometime this season, throw away last seasons stats since he was hurt and the barely played him on the PP

Are you seriously comparing Modano to Maltby?

Modano currently has 10-times the offensive talent Malts ever had and he can shore up a third line that will terrify every other team in the NHL. Maltby flat-out can't crack Detroit's roster. The very definition of Apples and Oranges.

According to which team does Modano still have it? To Dallas he is done with nothing left but Detorit there is still one more good year in him. Same situation but different name in Maltby. On one team he is done on another team he might provide something.

Modano's free love ran out in Dallas, as it seems Maltby's in Detroit. If Dallas is getting called out on how it treated Modano during this offseason then Detroit should get called out as well. People turn a blind eye depending on the name of a player. For Detroit to ask...well really demand that Maltby have shoulder surgery and possible end his career while on the IR then not have the decency to at least make him an offer is a slap in the face to Maltby.

Detroit pretty much tossing Maltby aside and forgetting about him is OK...but Modano getting tossed aside from Dallas is a no no. Which is it.. OK to walk away from a player that a GM thinks is done or be respectful and give him that 1 more year? That one more year to give him a chance to go out the way they want to.

Edited by dragonballgtz

presser on friday, will wear 90

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/08/st_james_red_wings_to_hold_mod.html

Mike Modano is scheduled to be introduced by the Detroit Red Wings as their newest acquisition in a news conference at 2:30 p.m. Friday at Joe Louis Arena.

He and the Wings have agreed to a one-year deal, believed to be worth around $1.25 million. He’s being brought in to center the third line, between wingers Jiri Hudler and Dan Cleary. Modano, 40, will add scoring power (he has 557 goals and 802 assists in 1,459 NHL games), depth and veteran leadership (he’s a former captain of the Dallas Stars, the franchise for which he played 20 seasons). In addition to centering the third line, he’ll also play the point on the second power-play unit.

Of course, there’s a little matter of what number the Westland native will wear. He can’t wear his usual No. 9, which was retired in honor of Gordie Howe. Adding a 1 in front of the 9 won’t work -- No. 19 has hung from the rafters at Joe Louis Arena since Jan. 2, 2007, when the Wings retired Steve Yzerman’s number. Instead of adding a number in front of the 9, look for Modano to go with a clean No. 90. It’s not official yet, but that’s the way things are leaning.

Detroit pretty much tossing Maltby aside and forgetting about him is OK...but Modano getting tossed aside from Dallas is a no no. Which is it.. OK to walk away from a player that a GM thinks is done or be respectful and give him that 1 more year? That one more year to give him a chance to go out the way they want to.

I don't really care what Dallas does in terms of what's "right" or "classy," but the move doesn't make sense to me because Modano is still a good hockey player that can help Dallas, whereas Maltby is no longer a good hockey player and can't help Detroit.

According to which team does Modano still have it? To Dallas he is done with nothing left but Detorit there is still one more good year in him. Same situation but different name in Maltby. On one team he is done on another team he might provide something.

Modano's free love ran out in Dallas, as it seems Maltby's in Detroit. If Dallas is getting called out on how it treated Modano during this offseason then Detroit should get called out as well. People turn a blind eye depending on the name of a player. For Detroit to ask...well really demand that Maltby have shoulder surgery and possible end his career while on the IR then not have the decency to at least make him an offer is a slap in the face to Maltby.

maltby wasn't the highest scoring american born player in the world or the team captin. can;t compare.

Reading that Babcock interview got me so excited. He expects to go back to the puck posession style we're best known for, and isn't expecting to rely heavily on key guys throughout the regular season (I can't help but wonder if he's including Howard in that statement), and he even said that he missed ol' Huddles!