• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#241 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Will there be a live conference on friday ya think? maybe some newspaper or whatnot will stream?

i think there will be a one hour special, where Modano will say "I will take my talents to the motor city"

#242 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have always creamed in my shorts thinking about having Modano on the Wings. A few years later than I would have liked so the mess will be easier to clean! Very excited.

I think he could be somewhat like Brett Hull was as a mentor to Zett and Datts on the old goat and two kids line if he is ever paired with say Abbs/Healm or another youth- maybe even Hudler and Healm.
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#243 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

So when he's done as a player, he comes to Detroit who welcome him wiht both arms. We fell in love with the idea of the past Modano, not the washed up one of 2010.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#244 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

So when he's done as a player, he comes to Detroit who welcome him wiht both arms. We fell in love with the idea of the past Modano, not the washed up one of 2010.

He's still one of the better depth players in this year's free agency...and kenny adds him to this club.. be happy.

Edited by mindfly, 05 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#245 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

i think there will be a one hour special, where Modano will say "I will take my talents to the motor city"

Nah because ESPN doesn't know who Mike Modano is, or hockey in general it seems.

Posted Image

#246 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

It appears you can watch the press conference at 2pm ET tomorrow:

FOX Sports Detroit Dana Wakiji writes about Mike Modano's homecoming http://bit.ly/93UeTC. Watch the press conference 2 pm Friday at Foxsportsdetroit.com

#247 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not. I know there was curiosity about what number he would use. ESPN lists him on the roster and as having #90.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#248 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

ok we get that you don't like him. his signed with us now. its time to move on and get ready for the season. smile be happy.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 05 August 2010 - 12:11 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#249 dmac's cup ring

dmac's cup ring

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

a washed up modano will generate more pts on the 3rd line than darren helm would this year. that's all that matters.

#250 Red Wings 2010

Red Wings 2010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

I love it when "fans" talk s*** about a player and say hes old and washed up but then when that same player is our leading scorer, they don't have s*** to say. Why don't you haters have paitence and see what happens. Hockey players play different in other jerserys. who knows, maybe he will deke like Datsyuk, have the temper of Bert and hit like Kronwall. I doubt that combo, but its possible! oh wait, isn't that franzen? :blink:

Edited by Red Wings 2010, 05 August 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#251 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

No, we're in love with the idea of having the highest scoring American born player in NHL history, centering our third line, being good defensively, scoring 20 goals and getting around 50 points, something that "washed up" Modano has been doing for the last few years on a lousy Stars team. No one here expects him to play like he did in 1994. 20 goals, 30 assists is fine with me. You're not going to find that kind of production on any other teams third line.

#252 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Washed up? The Stars were washed up, not Modano. At 40, he's certainly not the player he once was but he's a far cry from washed up. The guy can still fly out there and even in a rather awful Dallas situation with minimal minutes, a weak supporting cast and backroom difficulties, he put up descent numbers.

In Detroit, he's getting a hometown hero's welcome, he's got a great organization that has already gone above and beyond to make him feel welcome and wanted, he's got a great surrounding cast of players and he's going to be working in a system and in a role that suits his style as well as his age. He's not going to have to carry anyone. He's only going to be adding to an already solid core, and he'll add a lot, no doubt.

Just like Bertuzzi last year, he may not be the same player he once was, but at that $1.25-1.5 million price tag, he's an absolute bargain. I'll go out on a limb and say that I have little to no doubt that you won't feel the same way about this signing by the end of the season. If he stays fairly healthy and plays say 70-75 games, I think he's fully capable of scoring 20-25 goals and putting up 50 points. I think 40 points is a given on this team. It's tough to find guys that can put up 40-50 points for $1.25 million, let alone guys with the kind of experience Modano has, not to mention the fact that he's already creating a buzz that's going to lead to merch sales and more people in seats. These days, that matters too.

I'M THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!

No, we're in love with the idea of having the highest scoring American born player in NHL history, centering our third line, being good defensively, scoring 20 goals and getting around 50 points, something that "washed up" Modano has been doing for the last few years on a lousy Stars team. No one here expects him to play like he did in 1994. 20 goals, 30 assists is fine with me. You're not going to find that kind of production on any other teams third line.

Yep. Echoing my thoughts. Can't say it enough, $1.25 million.

WE PAID JASON WILLIAMS $1.5 MILLION LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By seasons end, this will look like a HUGE bargain.

Edited by gcom007, 05 August 2010 - 12:33 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#253 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Washed up? The Stars were washed up, not Modano. At 40, he's certainly not the player he once was but he's a far cry from washed up. The guy can still fly out there and even in a rather awful Dallas situation with minimal minutes, a weak supporting cast and backroom difficulties, he put up descent numbers.

In Detroit, he's getting a hometown hero's welcome, he's got a great organization that has already gone above and beyond to make him feel welcome and wanted, he's got a great surrounding cast of players and he's going to be working in a system and in a role that suits his style as well as his age. He's not going to have to carry anyone. He's only going to be adding to an already solid core, and he'll add a lot, no doubt.

Just like Bertuzzi last year, he may not be the same player he once was, but at that $1.25-1.5 million price tag, he's an absolute bargain. I'll go out on a limb and say that I have little to no doubt that you won't feel the same way about this signing by the end of the season. If he stays fairly healthy and plays say 70-75 games, I think he's fully capable of scoring 20-25 goals and putting up 50 points. I think 40 points is a given on this team. It's tough to find guys that can put up 40-50 points for $1.25 million, let alone guys with the kind of experience Modano has, not to mention the fact that he's already creating a buzz that's going to lead to merch sales and more people in seats. These days, that matters too.

I'M THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Echoing my thoughts. Can't say it enough, $1.25 million.

By seasons end, this will look like a HUGE bargain.

williams sucks epically. modano...well, 30 pts last year in 59 games on the 3rd line in dallas playing with slugs. career: 1459 games, 557g, 802a - 1359 pts. same role as hull and robitaille had in '02. i'll take that and run with it for a 1.25mil cap hit. welcome aboard mike. have fun with all of the wings 3rd line exceeding 20 goals this year. but i guess haters gonna hate.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#254 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

Please don't bring back bad memories.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#255 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I am very happy Mikey Mo is Red Wing. It somehow feels right, the way it did with Dom, Brett and Luc. I like the way this is trending... besides, he's a great guy and a truly great player - no denying that. I believe Detroit will be a tonic for him and he will be amazing this season.

Who wouldn't want to wear the winged wheel and work with a club like the Wings? Welcome to Detroit, Mike. :thumbup:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#256 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

:lol: :clap:
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#257 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

I'm with Aussie Wing on this one. He'd better do everything up to and including walk on water to impress me. Otherwise, I'll still believe it was a waste of money.
Posted Image

#258 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Modano to wear either #89 or 90

"Also of extremely important note: Modano says that he has not ruled out playing for the Red Wings for more than one season".

http://blog.mlive.co...content=Twitter

#259 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

hope hes worth it. i think he will be.

glad to see helmers signed too

now just abs and maybe ritola 6th dman?

#260 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Modano to wear either #89 or 90

"Also of extremely important note: Modano says that he has not ruled out playing for the Red Wings for more than one season".

http://blog.mlive.co...content=Twitter

:scared:
:puke:
Posted Image