• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#61 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

Looking promising, but nothing set in stone yet. Waiting to hear it from his truly himself on Thursday or whenever it is.

#62 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

There is plenty of hinting in the article that would lead us to believe that he is signing with the Wings. But I'm with you; I won't believe it until he makes an official announcement.

But we've had things leading us to believe he'll sign all summer. I just can't get too excited about this anymore. Modano has teased us before.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#63 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

Welcome MIKEY... will be fun to watch this season

#64 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

As long as we don't lose Ritola over this AND it's a 1-year deal, I guess i'll be okay about it. He better either hit or hella-backcheck though, and I know he doesn't hit.

I think we're just too afraid to lose prospects after the Leino situation. Ritola isn't slated to be at top-end player. I'm all for giving him his shot, but if we lose him I don't think it really hurts the team all that much, though I'd prefer to keep him.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#65 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

From swedish newspaper, Samuel Pahlsson of the CBJ:

He's still a very good player even if he's not as good as in his prime.
We play against these guys 6 times per year and now they become even better, it's an interesting signing.

:thumbup:

#66 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

I think we're just too afraid to lose prospects after the Leino situation. Ritola isn't slated to be at top-end player. I'm all for giving him his shot, but if we lose him I don't think it really hurts the team all that much, though I'd prefer to keep him.

I think people were irrationally upset about losing Leino though. The guy did absolutely nothing during his time in Detroit, and was beyond shaky the remainder of the regular season in Philly. He went mental in the playoffs, but who's to say he'll continue that trend.

The only thing I'm certain about is he never would've done that in Detroit, because the Wings don't play the kind of game that would allow Leino to have the type of postseason he did. To me, that's all that matters.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#67 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Go Modano! F-ing finally... How long has this been going on? And more importantly - how many pages will a combined thread about Modano reach?

I think people were irrationally upset about losing Leino though. The guy did absolutely nothing during his time in Detroit, and was beyond shaky the remainder of the regular season in Philly. He went mental in the playoffs, but who's to say he'll continue that trend.

The only thing I'm certain about is he never would've done that in Detroit, because the Wings don't play the kind of game that would allow Leino to have the type of postseason he did. To me, that's all that matters.

Losing a prospect that then turns around and has a crazy off-season is never fun. But considering there was nothing - NOTHING - in his play when he was here that suggested he was capable of it I don't feel pissed about it at all.

#68 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Great news!

Welcome Mike!

#69 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Modano Confirms He Will Play For Detroit

http://starsblog.dal...or-detroit.html

Mike Modano, who has scored more NHL points and goals than any other player born in the United States, has decided to play next season for the Detroit Red Wings, he confirmed via text Tuesday morning.

Modano is golfing with friends in Scotland, but said in a text that he has made the commitment to play for Detroit, confirming reports in The Detroit Free Press. The Free Press said an announcement would be made Thursday. Modano said he is returning home on Thursday at 6 p.m. Modano wrote that he did not have time to elaborate as he was on the golf course. Modano, who was drafted first overall in 1988, played 20 seasons for the Stars and holds just about every franchise scoring record.

He played 1,459 games for the Minnesota/Dallas franchise and has 557 goals, 802 assists and 1,359 points. Modano ranks 23rd all-time in NHL history in point scoring, 24th all-time in goal-scoring and tied for 13th in game-winning goals with 91.

Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced June 29 that the Stars would not re-sign Modano, 40, whose contract had run out with the Stars. Modano has been weighing options since the start of free agency July 1, and Detroit is the only team he has visited. He also has had conversations with Minnesota and San Jose.

Modano was born in Livonia, Mich. and grew up in the Detroit area. His parents still live there.

The Stars home opener is Oct. 14 against the Red Wings.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#70 RedWingskiddo

RedWingskiddo

blue eyed red wing lady

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

i must be still drunk. i cant believe this. ken holland is really liking these one year deals. and then bring the player back again. ok so tuzzi AND modano. am i the only one NOT liking this? :ranting:
nick has started to age, malts is getting NO love. am i the only one who thinks we should have gotten a damn good d-man for a few years than sign modano for one? i think kenny is experimenting with something...
HUDLER!
all-star game is in raleigh.. which means you will witness the most weekend canes fans EVER.

#71 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

OMG CANT BELIEVE IT!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

thanks gcom007 for the link.. you made myf****** day :)

#72 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

This should work out nicely, 3rd line is a serious threat now.

#73 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

i must be still drunk. i cant believe this. ken holland is really liking these one year deals. and then bring the player back again. ok so tuzzi AND modano. am i the only one NOT liking this? :ranting:
nick has started to age, malts is getting NO love. am i the only one who thinks we should have gotten a damn good d-man for a few years than sign modano for one? i think kenny is experimenting with something...

Malts' time for free love is over. Same as Cheli's was last offseason.

As for defense, I completely agree that a stable, veteran Dman is *essential* for the bottom pairing, but Modano's signing won't eliminate the chance of bringing in a $1 million guy, which is all they really need. on top of that, Modo gives the Wings so much depth up front it'll be sick.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#74 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

The only other number, besides 9, that Modano has worn in his career was 27, for a couple of All-star games. That is the best guess, so far.

#75 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

As for defense, I completely agree that a stable, veteran Dman is *essential* for the bottom pairing, but Modano's signing won't eliminate the chance of bringing in a $1 million guy, which is all they really need. on top of that, Modo gives the Wings so much depth up front it'll be sick.

This. Not to mention that this combined with Hudler coming back is going to give us two legitimate powerplay lines. Wings offense could be absolutely SICK this coming season.

#76 Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Mr. Dangles

• PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

It'll have to be someone for under a million. If you give Abdelkader and Helm $900,000 each (probably fairly accurate), then there is about $700,000 left in cap space. Holland definitely wants at least $500,000 for injury call ups during the season, so the way this likely plays out is Meech gets traded for a low pick and a veteran D-man is signed for about $700,000-$800,000

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

No, you're definitely not alone.

Modano has the upside of giving the Wings three scoring lines, which they're gonna need because right now their bottom defensive pairing is suspect, and if a D man gets injured this season it's gonna be big problems. And all of that in front of a sophomore goaltender.

I like that Modano makes three scary lines for the Wings, I just think it only leaves money for a plugger on the bottom pairing instead of a guy who we could've had for a few years and would've been a slight upgrade.

#78 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Modano has the upside of giving the Wings three scoring lines, which they're gonna need because right now their bottom defensive pairing is suspect, and if a D man gets injured this season it's gonna be big problems. And all of that in front of a sophomore goaltender.

I like that Modano makes three scary lines for the Wings, I just think it only leaves money for a plugger on the bottom pairing instead of a guy who we could've had for a few years and would've been a slight upgrade.

Maybe the guy Kenny has in mind for the bottom pair isn't available yet and this is just a time killer? Or not. Either way, pretty cool when the only thing we have to gripe about is the bottom pair and lack of a fighter. I'll take that 'problem' every season.

#79 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

It'll have to be someone for under a million. If you give Abdelkader and Helm $900,000 each (probably fairly accurate), then there is about $700,000 left in cap space. Holland definitely wants at least $500,000 for injury call ups during the season, so the way this likely plays out is Meech gets traded for a low pick and a veteran D-man is signed for about $700,000-$800,000

Not necessarily.

Using $900,000 for both Helm and Abs, $1.25 for Modano and $1 million for a Veteran Dman puts the Wings $275,377 over the cap. If Kenny moves Miller and Meech, that gives the Wings $874,623 worth of cap space with a 22-Man roster of 13 forwards, 7 Dmen and 2 goalies signed.

#80 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

I understand these sentiments completely. I've been terrified by the thought of that bottom pairing for the last few months, but now that numbers are in there's really no reason Modano's signing will keep Kenny and Co. from bringing in what they need for the bottom pairing. If Miller and Meech are moved, Kenny can realistically add a Dman costing $1.375 million and still have $500k for the injury bug.