Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/08/st_james_dan_cleary_endorses_r.html

I'd love Mitchell if Lilja leaves.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

Agreed.

Me thinks if a nasty stay at home Dman is added - it'll give Ericsson some confidence, and an idea of how to use his size effectively.

And Kindl - one of our top prospects - would sit on the press box. YAYY! Talk about being shortsighted.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

mitchell's not going to leave vancouver to take less $ and come be the 5th dman in detroit.

Is Vancouver making any serious offers?

I don't know alot about his current status with the Canucks, but going to a team like Detroit at his age just might be his best chance at getting his name on the Cup.

To be honest - I'm not expecting to see Willie suit up in a Red Wings jersey come opening night.

And Kindl - one of our top prospects - would sit on the press box. YAYY! Talk about being shortsighted.

As it's been discussed before - Kindl isn't exactly turning heads in GR...Yes he is improving - yet he's not exactly the guy many of us want to see paired with an already inexperienced Ericsson.

I'd much rather see a guy back there that has several years of NHL experience alongside Ericsson.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

As it's been discussed before - Kindl isn't exactly turning heads in GR...Yes he is improving - yet he's not exactly the guy many of us want to see paired with an already inexperienced Ericsson.

I'd much rather see a guy back there that has several years of NHL experience alongside Ericsson.

As said already. We dont have to pair Kindl and Ericsson together.

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Ericsson-Rafalski
Stuart-Kindl

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Stuart-Rafalski
Kronwall-Kindl

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Kindl
Stuart-Ericsson

etc. etc. etc.

There are numerous options.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 06 August 2010 - 08:23 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

Is Vancouver making any serious offers?

I don't know alot about his current status with the Canucks, but going to a team like Detroit at his age just might be his best chance at getting his name on the Cup.

To be honest - I'm not expecting to see Willie suit up in a Red Wings jersey come opening night.

Ya never know, it obvious he wants more money than teams (even his own) are willing to give. So its getting to the point where its gonna be, sign somewhere for half of what he made last year or or sign nowhere for 100% less than what he made last year. There are teams that are out there that can afford to pay with $3.5 or more, but again he is obviously being picky where he wants to play (which is good for our chances.) Too bad there really isn't enough cash to offer him under the cap and Abby still needs to be signed...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

As said already. We dont have to pair Kindl and Ericsson together.

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Ericsson-Rafalski
Stuart-Kindl

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Stuart-Rafalski
Kronwall-Kindl

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Kindl
Stuart-Ericsson

etc. etc. etc.

There are numerous options.

Sure - there are options, but nobody wants to see either Kronwall, nor Stuart on the 3rd line; both are solid 2nd pairing guys each capable of 20 plus minutes a night.

Another option is to sign a veteran who'll play alongside Ericsson (or on some nights Kindl) on the 3rd pairing for the usual 12-15 minutes per game.

Unless Kindl surprises everyone at the fall camp - he'll be the #6/#7 Dman on the Red Wings roster.

Edited by F.Michael, 06 August 2010 - 08:28 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Ken Holland and Jim Neil had much higher hopes of this guy, has stood still in his developement curve for 2-3 years now if you read about him during the season, almost no improvement anywhere in his game. Kronwall became Defenseman of the year putting up like 60pts and dominated in the AHL, i'm sure they thought the same about Kindl, being a big and good sized 19th overall pick.

Vancouver is atm over the cap and have like 8 defensemen signed on one-way contracts, some will have to move if they are gonna add Mitchell.

Edited by mindfly, 06 August 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#48 Probie

Probie

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

There's Willie post-concussion issues, talking to a little girl in the stands.

LOL!!! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

#49 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

Ken Holland and Jim Neil had much higher hopes of this guy, has stood still in his developement curve for 2-3 years now if you read about him during the season, almost no improvement anywhere in his game. Kronwall became Defenseman of the year putting up like 60pts and dominated in the AHL, i'm sure they thought the same about Kindl, being a big and good sized 19th overall pick.

Vancouver is atm over the cap and have like 8 defensemen signed on one-way contracts, some will have to move if they are gonna add Mitchell.

Other than getting into better shape, you could say the same thing about Howard until last season.

Also, Babcock has specualted that Kindl is the kind of player that plays better with better players around him.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#50 40#1Fan

40#1Fan

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

http://blog.mlive.co...llie_mitch.html

The Sporting News: Willie Mitchell's considering Red Wings offer

Fantastic news from the Sporting News's Craig Custance about unrestricted free agent defenseman Willie Mitchell. Mitchell's agent, Mike Liut, is also Mike Modano's agent, and as such, he and Red Wings GM Ken Holland have talked about the possibility of Mitchell joining the Wings:

August 6, The Sporting News: "The Red Wings, they’re one of the teams,” Liut told Sporting News. “Everybody is interested in the Red Wings.”

A deal for Mitchell would likely mean the Red Wings would have to make an additional move or two to create space under the salary cap. According to CapGeek.com, the Red Wings have $1.6 million in cap space. Mitchell made $3.5 million last year.

“As we go here, it’s got to add up to $59.5 (million),” Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Sporting News. “Yeah, we’ve got decisions to make but we think they’re good decisions to make.”

#51 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Same agent as Modano? Oh that is wonderful news, come on Willie, make the right choice! This would turn from a decent off season to an awesome one. Re-signing Bert, Homer, Helm, Abby and Eaves. Then signing Modano and Mitchell? Ahhhh would be brilliant :D

#NOMOREKINDL

#52 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Same agent as Modano? Oh that is wonderful news, come on Willie, make the right choice! This would turn from a decent off season to an awesome one. Re-signing Bert, Homer, Helm, Abby and Eaves. Then signing Modano and Mitchell? Ahhhh would be brilliant :D

Don't forget little rex is back :hehe:

#53 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Exactly, and if Kindl or Ericsson end up not doing so well we can carry Janik as our 7th.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Adding Mitchell to the defense would be pretty great, this team is shaping up to be a serious threat. The season can't start soon enough.

#55 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

I can just picture big E and willie hammering dudes down to the ice on the PK in front of the net and murdering anyone who comes within 5 feet on jimmy :)
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#56 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

If they siugn mitchell several guys will have to move AND he will have to take a huge discount...get yer ass over here mitch, you wanna win don't you ;)

#57 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Never underestimate the shrewd managerial skills of one Ken Holland!!!

I trust in Kenny!!!

Now - get us Mitchell!!! :)

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / M Modano ($1.250m) / D Helm ($1.000m) / J Abdelkader ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Willie Mitchel ($1.800m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.416m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.716m)

Total $59.372m
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#58 Leadzedder

Leadzedder

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Geez, this looks like it could happen. I think what we need to know is.... does Mitchell qualify for bonuses due to games missed last year? If so, this is very doable. 1 mil salary and whatever required in bonuses.

#59 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

i really, really, really, hope KH can make this work. if it means loosing meech,ritola, and miller so be it if it means a legit crack at the cup. mitchell would make our defence go from question mark to absolute beast
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#60 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Dump Meech, sign Willie. Problem solved.