• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

king_malice

Willie Mitchell

Rate this topic

cap hit is an average of the total sum. a multi-year offer probably is Kenny's only availbale sweetener... well, that and a good chance to go deep in the playoffs. :lol:

i can't fathom many teams even considering giving him a two+ year offer, especially with his concussion woes. lets hope the Wings' Doctors have thoroughly sleuthed this one out. besides, he is under 35, is he not? shouldnt his cap hit be wiped out if should he retire??

I would be alright with him being on a 3-4 year basis. Lids and Raffi are both going to retire relatively soon, and he could be a possibility to make our transition a little smoother. We won't be doing anything crazy like 17 years or anything, but a small maneuvering of the cap could land us Mitchell and solidify our D for at least a few years.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

How about

Lindstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Mitchell

Erickson scratched

Resign Lilja please Erickson makes to many mistakes to play everyday.

How about no?

Ericcsson had some rough patches last season, but he still has more potential at this stage of his career then Lilja could ever dream of. The only way he can mold into the defensemen that he could be is to give him more minutes. In addition, we can't have Kindl rotting away in the minors another year, it's time for him to show if hes got a shot in the NHL, and starting him out as a 7th defesnemen would allow him to ease in. And this isn't even taking into account Lilja's salary demands, which would make signing Mitchell impossible.

How about

Lindstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Mitchell

Erickson scratched

If the Wings have 3.5+ million for players, why sign Modano and use the 5 million to make a play at a high value player? the easy answer is: the Wings dont have 3.5+ million to afford both lilja and Mitchell.

The best case scenerio would be Rafalski waiving his NTC.

Lidstrom- Mitchell

Stuart-Kronwall

Kindl-Lilja

-Ericsson

Kindl needs to play, or he will picked up on waivers. Use Rafalksi's cap space for next season or waive Osgood and sign Niemi. Niemi-Howard! woot woot woot

If the Wings have 3.5+ million for players, why sign Modano and use the 5 million to make a play at a high value player? the easy answer is: the Wings dont have 3.5+ million to afford both lilja and Mitchell.

honestly, how much sucess have the Wings had signing or trading for that HIGH dollar player? The Wings succeed more often with the middle to low income players who come in to work their assess off for a Cup, not to take a discount to float around and be the go to guy. (not to say Hossa was a floater, he was actually pretty good defensively.) They'll be more successful signing Modano, Mitchell, Eaves & Miller rather than signing Kovalchuk. I can only hope that Mitchell would come play here, three or four year contract would be great! As long as the Cap hit didn't cripple us...

So this means he could accept a 1.5M contract (with bonuses)... that sounds like a reasonable price?

I don't like the idea of us getting caught up in bonuses, because that just shifts cap problems from one year to the next. Let us ask Chicago how it works out to do that...

I don't like the idea of us getting caught up in bonuses, because that just shifts cap problems from one year to the next. Let us ask Chicago how it works out to do that...

I just read minutes after this post that we gave Modano 500k next year for bonuses?!?!? WTF I just lost alot of respect for that signing. We better win this year because this might make it harder to win next year.

I just read minutes after this post that we gave Modano 500k next year for bonuses?!?!? WTF I just lost alot of respect for that signing. We better win this year because this might make it harder to win next year.

his cap hit is 1.75M.. most definitely spells the end of meech/ritola/miller. especially if we sign mitchell or someone of the like.

How about

Lindstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Mitchell

Erickson scratched

Lindstrom, really? And Erickson... but that's less important.

I just don't see Mitchell leaving Vancouver. It means a great deal for him to stay in Vancouver. He's home-grown, and dreamed of playing for the Canucks his entire life. There's even a photo floating around somewhere of him at about 4 years old in a Canucks jersey. I doubt he can picture himself in another uniform any better than Canucks fans can can. I know there have been other current Canucks who have been on the team longer, but next to Trevor Linden, for me, there is no Canuck who seems like a better fit for Vancouver than Willie Mitchell. I think he'll take a home-town discount to stay and prove his durability. The wild card is if there are issues which we know nothing about.

I agree that Mitchell in a jersey other than a Canucks jersey would be odd, but not every organization is as loyal as the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, the Canucks are overstacked with defensemen right now. Ehroff, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Rome, O'Brien, and I believe Alberts is under contract as well. I just can't see him back in Vancouver.

*Add Hamhuis and Ballard

I don't think the Wings can afford him anymore.

For those who were arguing that the Modano signing in no way affected signing a physical defenseman, Mitchell is a pretty good example of that not being true. They may be able to get a plug, but they sure can't get a guy who could potentially have been in the lineup for a few years and helped stabilize our D when Lids retires.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/08/red_wings_among_teams_interest.html

Edited by haroldsnepsts

For those who were arguing that the Modano signing in no way affected signing a physical defenseman, Mitchell is a pretty good example of that not being true.

Can't really say until he actually signs somewhere and we can see the contract he got. The $1.25M they spent on Modano may have been the difference, but maybe not.

They may be able to get a plug, but they sure can't get a guy who could potentially have been in the lineup for a few years and helped stabilize our D when Lids retires.

I don't think you really want to shape your long-term defense around a guy with a wonky head. Besides, while Mitchell is a good player, there are plenty of similar-quality Dmen that hit the free agent market every year. We won't be looking back wistfully on "the summer we missed out on Willie Mitchell." If the Wings have the money they'll get their man.

I agree that Mitchell in a jersey other than a Canucks jersey would be odd, but not every organization is as loyal as the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, the Canucks are overstacked with defensemen right now. Ehroff, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Rome, O'Brien, and I believe Alberts is under contract as well. I just can't see him back in Vancouver.

*Add Hamhuis and Ballard

The atmosphere around the Canucks has changed a great deal since Mike Gillis took over. Players are not only choosing to stay in Vancouver at a discount, but they're coming to play here at a discount too.

Yes we're already stacked with defencemen, but Salo will be on injured reserve for a long time and that comes off the cap. Also, odds are that Bieksa is on his way out and Alberts will probably find a new home in Manitoba.

On an unrelated note...

Was anyone else having trouble getting redirected to Facebook when trying to view this thread? The thread would open, and then about 5 seconds later it would get redirected to Facebook. It was annoying as hell. Never seen anything like it.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Can't really say until he actually signs somewhere and we can see the contract he got. The $1.25M they spent on Modano may have been the difference, but maybe not.

I don't think you really want to shape your long-term defense around a guy with a wonky head. Besides, while Mitchell is a good player, there are plenty of similar-quality Dmen that hit the free agent market every year. We won't be looking back wistfully on "the summer we missed out on Willie Mitchell." If the Wings have the money they'll get their man.

I think the combination of being in a holding pattern and the potentially $1.75 million Modano will cost absolutely is a factor in signing someone like Mitchell.

The Wings wouldn't be shaping their long term defense around Mitchell. He's 33 years old already which isn't young for a guy who plays the physical game he does. And as you point out, he's got the concussion issue. But like I said, he's a pretty good example of a player out on the market that could help the Wings D, and unless Holland pulls some shrewd moves quick, they have zero shot at him because of the Modano signing.

More than specifically Mitchell, it comes back to that a higher priority for the Wings should be shoring up their blueline than signing a Modano. He's a nice addition, but to me our questionable bottom pairing and aging top pairing (with a combined age of 77 years old when the season starts) is more of a priority for the Wings continued success.

I know I'm fixated on this issue, but when you talk about team defense with the Wings, the problem isn't the forwards. Zetterberg, Dats, Helm, Cleary, Flip, Eaves, Miller, Draper. That's a lot of defensively responsible forwards. Last season a lot of the problem was the actual defense, particularly around their own net.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I think the combination of being in a holding pattern and the potentially $1.75 million Modano will cost absolutely is a factor in signing someone like Mitchell.

The Wings wouldn't be shaping their long term defense around Mitchell. He's 33 years old already which isn't young for a guy who plays the physical game he does. And as you point out, he's got the concussion issue. But like I said, he's a pretty good example of a player out on the market that could help the Wings D, and unless Holland pulls some shrewd moves quick, they have zero shot at him because of the Modano signing.

More than specifically Mitchell, it comes back to that a higher priority for the Wings should be shoring up their blueline than signing a Modano. He's a nice addition, but to me our questionable bottom pairing and aging top pairing (with a combined age of 77 years old when the season starts) is more of a priority for the Wings continued success.

I know I'm fixated on this issue, but when you talk about team defense with the Wings, the problem isn't the forwards. Zetterberg, Dats, Helm, Cleary, Flip, Eaves, Miller, Draper. That's a lot of defensively responsible forwards. Last season a lot of the problem was the actual defense, particularly around their own net.

First of all Modano costs $1.25M not $1.75M. He is eligable for a 500,000 bonus but that will count against the 11-12 cap not the 10-11 cap. You are exaggerating his cap hit to make a point.

Secondly, adding up Rafalski's and Lidstrom's ages to make your point is a little bit juvenile. Lidstrom at 40 is still arguably one of the best D-men playing the game so his age is not a factor. Much of the defensive problems last year were due to poor play by Lebda and Ericsson. Lebda is gone and Ericsson was a rookie who has a tremendous upside. There is no thought of replacing Ericsson.

We don't NEED to sign another D-man this summer. Next summer if Lids retires then yes, we do but when that happens, we can use Lids money to sign a free agent.

I agree with Babs and Kenny who know a hell of a lot more about it than anybody on this forum.

No matter who is signed, there will always be someone else that we 'could have had' instead. You could just as easily say that signing Eaves or Helm prevented us from signing Mitchell too. It's neither here nor there at this point.

First of all Modano costs $1.25M not $1.75M. He is eligable for a 500,000 bonus but that will count against the 11-12 cap not the 10-11 cap. You are exaggerating his cap hit to make a point.

Secondly, adding up Rafalski's and Lidstrom's ages to make your point is a little bit juvenile. Lidstrom at 40 is still arguably one of the best D-men playing the game so his age is not a factor. Much of the defensive problems last year were due to poor play by Lebda and Ericsson. Lebda is gone and Ericsson was a rookie who has a tremendous upside. There is no thought of replacing Ericsson.

We don't NEED to sign another D-man this summer. Next summer if Lids retires then yes, we do but when that happens, we can use Lids money to sign a free agent.

I agree with Babs and Kenny who know a hell of a lot more about it than anybody on this forum.

Actually I'm not exaggerating his cap hit to make point. But thanks for assuming you know what I'm thinking. :thumbup: I'm stating his probable cap hit.

Per ESPN Dallas's Richard Durrett and Capgeek.com, new Red Wings forward Mike Modano's salary cap hit is pegged at $1,750,000, with a $500,000 in performance bonuses which can be deferred to the Wings' 2011-2012 salary cap figure if necessary. According to Durrett, those bonuses do not include another $500,000 in possible playoff performance bonuses

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/08/even_more_about_mike_modanos_c.html

how is adding their age juvenile? We have a 37 year old and a 40 year old on the top line. They are old. That's a fact. Lids is still one of the best of the game, but he's obviously nearing the end of his career and on the decline. Age is absolutely a factor.

Sure, if you want to pin it on Lebda, then who's taking his place that's so much better?

If you're just going to agree with Babs and Kenny all the time, then why bother coming to a forum where these issues are discussed?

No matter who is signed, there will always be someone else that we 'could have had' instead. You could just as easily say that signing Eaves or Helm prevented us from signing Mitchell too. It's neither here nor there at this point.

I don't think it's the same because they almost certainly were going to be in the lineup headed into this season. Modano was the unexpected addition to the lineup. And Holland wasn't waiting around for them to decide like he was Modano.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I don't think it's the same because they almost certainly were going to be in the lineup headed into this season. Modano was the unexpected addition to the lineup. And Holland wasn't waiting around for them to decide like he was Modano.

True, but goin down the road of "We could have signed him if we hadn't signed this guy!" will drive you crazy for no good reason. The differences between adding Mitchell to the lineup and Modano to the lineup probably aren't really big enough to worry about? I mean, I could see if we missed out on Mitchell because we re-signed Williams. That would suck really bad. But I really don't see the point in lamenting the possible loss of signing Mitchell when we just signed a Hall of Famer to anchor the third line. Just kinda seems like splitting hairs at this point.

It's not like Mitchell is a 'one of a kind' on defense. There will be others available when the Wings are ready. Next season or the season after.

Edited by Broken 16

Because the bonus money can bleed over into next season I don't think it's a consideration for Holland in terms of spending this year. In any event, it can quite possibly turn out to be the difference between Mitchell or no Mitchell, but until he signs (and signs within a range the Wings could have matched beforehand) it's not for certain.

The defense may need some work, if not next season then definitely within the next 2-3, but it doesn't have to be addressed long-term this summer. They aren't missing out on some big opportunity that won't be available to them next season. Any given offseason the Wings can acquire solid second and third pairing Dmen, so long as they have the cap space.

I don't disagree, but you can't fix every problem. The Wings' 3rd and 4th lines were a big disappointment in the playoffs. The signing of Modano and the return of Hudler now gives them unmatchable forward depth and for a minimal investment. Perhaps, if they can't afford Mitchell, the Wings will sign a cheaper variant of the crease-clearing type, and hopefully he can teach Ericsson how to pull his head out of his ass so the Wings can get the best of both worlds (Modano, tough Dman) this offseason.