• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

king_malice

Willie Mitchell

Rate this topic

For a guy that's questionable, coming off a season that was cut short by concussions, $3.5 Million per year is wicked overpayment. Sure, he's a solid shut-down defenseman, when healthy, but that's the question right there, will he be healthy. Not the wisest move by the Kings, in my opinion. If they would've gave him a $1.5 Million per year contract, that would've been more reasonable. That's just me, though.

My understanding is that LA had the money to spend so they spent it. There's also really no other defencemen of Mitchell's calibre available. Couple years ago the Canucks had money to spend and they brought in Sundin. Sure it was an overpayment but they had an owner who would rather spend the money than keep it in the bank and get nothing. Both teams identified a need and had the money to address it. LA obviously felt the need more than anyone else.

However, I also just heard on local radio that Mike Gillis only offered Mitchell a one year deal - amount unknown. Speculation has been that he feels there are too many question marks surrounding Mitchell's concussion issue which certainly makes sense in light of what we know now. LA has rolled the dice and they haven't stopped bouncing yet.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

My understanding is that LA had the money to spend so they spent it. There's also really no other defencemen of Mitchell's calibre available. Couple years ago the Canucks had money to spend and they brought in Sundin. Sure it was an overpayment but they had an owner who would rather spend the money than keep it in the bank and get nothing. Both teams identified a need and had the money to address it. LA obviously felt the need more than anyone else.

However, I also just heard on local radio that Mike Gillis only offered Mitchell a one year deal - amount unknown. Speculation has been that he feels there are too many question marks surrounding Mitchell's concussion issue which certainly makes sense in light of what we know now. LA has rolled the dice and they haven't stopped bouncing yet.

Yea but, Sundin was worth every penny because people came out to see him play, After all of the Hoopla over who would get Sundin, I'll bet that Vancouver increased their ticket sales by signing him.

Willie Mitchell won't have that effect. I don't think that Mitchell is an "investment" so it makes no sense to overpay him.

Yea but, Sundin was worth every penny because people came out to see him play, After all of the Hoopla over who would get Sundin, I'll bet that Vancouver increased their ticket sales by signing him.

Willie Mitchell won't have that effect. I don't think that Mitchell is an "investment" so it makes no sense to overpay him.

The only way they would have been able to increase ticket sales would have been to increase the actual price of tickets and I don't believe they did with any relation to Sundin. The Canucks have a sellout streak going back to 2002.

http://thesportmarket.blogspot.com/2010/04/canucks-home-sellout-streak-makes-its.html

For a guy that's questionable, coming off a season that was cut short by concussions, $3.5 Million per year is wicked overpayment. Sure, he's a solid shut-down defenseman, when healthy, but that's the question right there, will he be healthy. Not the wisest move by the Kings, in my opinion. If they would've gave him a $1.5 Million per year contract, that would've been more reasonable. That's just me, though.

The term is curious also, given that they'll need to commit money to Doughty and Johnson starting next year, and already have Scuderi and Greene inked to significant contracts past the next season.