• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I think that Lilja will sign for $1 mil. He has to be careful he doesn't price himself out of the league. Lils should take the $1 mil Holland is offering and know that he has a job with a team which has a chance to win the Cup again. Holding out for more money at this stage makes no sense. It's one thing to do it on July 1st when teams have money to spend and roster spots available. But now we are into the second week of August with Training Camp fast approaching. Teams which spend to the Cap are capped out. Teams which have the Cap space do not have the money to spend it. Teams are now going with their own young players on their system rather than signing UFAs. Mitchell would have been nice but if he is healthy then he is not want to sign with a team where he will not be a top 4 dman. Kenny lacks the Cap space to sign him for what he likely wants. Looking at what is out there, Lilja is as good, if not better than those guys. If they were so good then why do their former teams not want them anymore? Lils has his flaws but he fits in here. He is a solid #6 dman who can block shots and is good on the PK. If he signs with the Wings for 1 year/1 mil then he is worth it.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#122 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

Wings sign Ruslan Salei?

#123 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Ah, what could've been. I'll still cheer for you Willie you sadistic f*** :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#124 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Ah, what could've been. I'll still cheer for you Willie you sadistic f*** :thumbup:

No doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wok_GcIJgDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTEzQ8vBps

#125 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

That hit was a thing of beauty. I love how the Hawks fans were calling for a suspension after that.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#126 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

That hit though, was just because he was just coming out of the penalty box, 99% of the times the D is behind that.. yeah it was a beauty but Toews probably wasn't aware that Mitchell just got back on the ice.

#127 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Saw this on Rotoworld:

Willie Mitchell (concussion) has been medically cleared to participate in physical testing.

This is good news for Mitchell as he is currently an unrestricted free agent looking for a job. He has been sidelined since Jan. 16 and since he spent 100 days on the injured reserved list last season, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that he has the right to sign a one-year, bonus-laden contract in the salary range of $1-1.5 million per season. That could make him a more attractive free agent option for any team willing to take the risk to sign him.

#128 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

With Mitchell signing 2yrs with LA and Lids possibly done after this season and both Johnson and Doughty FA, ill defintly have my fingers crossed that LA screwed themselves out of one of these young guys

#129 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Saw this on Rotoworld:

Willie Mitchell (concussion) has been medically cleared to participate in physical testing.

This is good news for Mitchell as he is currently an unrestricted free agent looking for a job. He has been sidelined since Jan. 16 and since he spent 100 days on the injured reserved list last season, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that he has the right to sign a one-year, bonus-laden contract in the salary range of $1-1.5 million per season. That could make him a more attractive free agent option for any team willing to take the risk to sign him.

Mitchell signed with LA today - 2 years - 7 mil

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#130 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Mitchell signed with LA today - 2 years - 7 mil

For a guy that's questionable, coming off a season that was cut short by concussions, $3.5 Million per year is wicked overpayment. Sure, he's a solid shut-down defenseman, when healthy, but that's the question right there, will he be healthy. Not the wisest move by the Kings, in my opinion. If they would've gave him a $1.5 Million per year contract, that would've been more reasonable. That's just me, though.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#131 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

I happen to think that LA could carry the division. Their defense just got rounded back out after the Quincey trade. They have alot of power back there and with the right system they will be hard to play against.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#132 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

I happen to think that LA could carry the division. Their defense just got rounded back out after the Quincey trade. They have alot of power back there and with the right system they will be hard to play against.

Their defense will be stellar, but will their offense be able to carry them? I believe they will round out their bottom 6 by signing a tough guy, especially after Raitis Ivanans signed with Calgary.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#133 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

For a guy that's questionable, coming off a season that was cut short by concussions, $3.5 Million per year is wicked overpayment. Sure, he's a solid shut-down defenseman, when healthy, but that's the question right there, will he be healthy. Not the wisest move by the Kings, in my opinion. If they would've gave him a $1.5 Million per year contract, that would've been more reasonable. That's just me, though.

My understanding is that LA had the money to spend so they spent it. There's also really no other defencemen of Mitchell's calibre available. Couple years ago the Canucks had money to spend and they brought in Sundin. Sure it was an overpayment but they had an owner who would rather spend the money than keep it in the bank and get nothing. Both teams identified a need and had the money to address it. LA obviously felt the need more than anyone else.

However, I also just heard on local radio that Mike Gillis only offered Mitchell a one year deal - amount unknown. Speculation has been that he feels there are too many question marks surrounding Mitchell's concussion issue which certainly makes sense in light of what we know now. LA has rolled the dice and they haven't stopped bouncing yet.

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 25 August 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#134 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

My understanding is that LA had the money to spend so they spent it. There's also really no other defencemen of Mitchell's calibre available. Couple years ago the Canucks had money to spend and they brought in Sundin. Sure it was an overpayment but they had an owner who would rather spend the money than keep it in the bank and get nothing. Both teams identified a need and had the money to address it. LA obviously felt the need more than anyone else.

However, I also just heard on local radio that Mike Gillis only offered Mitchell a one year deal - amount unknown. Speculation has been that he feels there are too many question marks surrounding Mitchell's concussion issue which certainly makes sense in light of what we know now. LA has rolled the dice and they haven't stopped bouncing yet.

Yea but, Sundin was worth every penny because people came out to see him play, After all of the Hoopla over who would get Sundin, I'll bet that Vancouver increased their ticket sales by signing him.

Willie Mitchell won't have that effect. I don't think that Mitchell is an "investment" so it makes no sense to overpay him.
Do or do not. There is no try

#135 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

Yea but, Sundin was worth every penny because people came out to see him play, After all of the Hoopla over who would get Sundin, I'll bet that Vancouver increased their ticket sales by signing him.

Willie Mitchell won't have that effect. I don't think that Mitchell is an "investment" so it makes no sense to overpay him.

The only way they would have been able to increase ticket sales would have been to increase the actual price of tickets and I don't believe they did with any relation to Sundin. The Canucks have a sellout streak going back to 2002.

http://thesportmarke...-makes-its.html

#136 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

The term is curious also, given that they'll need to commit money to Doughty and Johnson starting next year, and already have Scuderi and Greene inked to significant contracts past the next season.

#137 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

I wanted him here, but damn that's well more out of the Red Wings price range than I originally expected.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."