• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broken 16

Why sign a sixth Dman?

Rate this topic

I don't understand why people would want the Wings to sign a sixth Dman. Janik has already proven that he can hang with the team and do well. Why not bounce Janik, Meech and Kindl in and out of the lineup until the deadline? Seems like it would be much better for the team if they gave some of the youngsters some experience and see how it's going at the deadline. Maybe we can use the money to swing some deals and get some picks. It's not like a bottom defense pairing is gonna make or break our season. Unless we get wrecked by injuries again... then god help us.

I don't understand why people would want the Wings to sign a sixth Dman. Janik has already proven that he can hang with the team and do well. Why not bounce Janik, Meech and Kindl in and out of the lineup until the deadline? Seems like it would be much better for the team if they gave some of the youngsters some experience and see how it's going at the deadline. Maybe we can use the money to swing some deals and get some picks. It's not like a bottom defense pairing is gonna make or break our season. Unless we get wrecked by injuries again... then god help us.

i'd like to see kindl play a full season as the 6th dman. look what happened with howard last year when he got a shot. worked out pretty well i think. i'm against the idea of picking up another dman until kinkl gets his shot on the wings.

There's a good chance that that is indeed the route Holland will go, but the problem with that is, that it's not just about adding a 6th d-man, it's about adding a steadying veteran presence on that 3rd pairing to play WITH the youngsters and be a solid, physical, stay at home guy who can specialize in a PK role (Lilja pre-concussion, or even Lilja now at the right price)

I would have no problem with Janik being given a genuine shot, but he has never been able to lock in at the NHL level and that is hardly a steadying presence for someone of the likes of Ericsson or Kindl, who may need to look over once and awhile and just be able to breath a sigh of relief, knowing that even if they make a mistake, the vet will pick them up...

Because as Chicago has found out the hard way...you can never have too much depth.

kindl, janik, meech, smith, kolosov, pyett (worst case)

future: fournier, almqvist, nicastro

the wings aren't short on options. i'd rather gamble on smith than pay for another depth signing.

There's a good chance that that is indeed the route Holland will go, but the problem with that is, that it's not just about adding a 6th d-man, it's about adding a steadying veteran presence on that 3rd pairing to play WITH the youngsters and be a solid, physical, stay at home guy who can specialize in a PK role (Lilja pre-concussion, or even Lilja now at the right price)

I would have no problem with Janik being given a genuine shot, but he has never been able to lock in at the NHL level and that is hardly a steadying presence for someone of the likes of Ericsson or Kindl, who may need to look over once and awhile and just be able to breath a sigh of relief, knowing that even if they make a mistake, the vet will pick them up...

i've said this before...

with lids and rafalski getting older, keep them fresh. play each D line 20 mins a night and pair them up accordingly:

kronwall - stuart

lids - kindl

rafalski - ericsson

give kronwall and stuart the 1st pairing to get them ready to take over when lids and raf are gone. switch the lines once in a while to mix things up, but that should help everyone in the longrun. and when lids retires, bring in smith. the wings have a great system and development program, trust it.

Because as Chicago has found out the hard way...you can never have too much depth.

In a certain sense, you can. We can't afford enough to get anyone very good. We probably can't even afford anyone that's much better than Janik or Meech. Spending all our cap on what would be at best a minor upgrade doesn't really add much in the way of depth, and it would reduce our options in the future.

Never thought of a steadying presence for Ericsson. It would be nice to have a nasty, seasoned vet in that circumstance. To be honest though, I'm not convinced that Ericsson is ever going to be able to make that full transition into a legitimate NHL Dman. I'd almost like to see what Janik/Kindl could do with some early season ice time.

Never thought of a steadying presence for Ericsson. It would be nice to have a nasty, seasoned vet in that circumstance. To be honest though, I'm not convinced that Ericsson is ever going to be able to make that full transition into a legitimate NHL Dman. I'd almost like to see what Janik/Kindl could do with some early season ice time.

I think that is the way you kinda have to look at it...

If you look at Ericsson's production and play the last month of the season and into the playoff's alongside of Lilja instead of bouncing around on D pairings, it speaks volumes about what that presence can do for him... keep in mind, this is only his 2nd year in the NHL and really only like his 5th year even playing D - there are going to be some growing pains, but the potential is there and he is only 25, it's WAY too early to make a projection on what he will be... and, not by the same details(or background) but with the same projection, there's no way to know what Kindl will be either and BOTH have shown that they do much better with a steadying presence (and both are known to have defensive mental lapses)

Janik, although a GREAT depth guy, is what he is - a 6/7/8/fringe NHL d-man who is solid defensively and has a mean streak, but has never shown more and at 30, is pretty much what he will be for his career...

I want to see Kindl and Ericsson given every opportunity to show what they have this year, but I want them to be able to do it favorable situation, to see what they can really be - and that means paired with a solid, shut down, NHL proven d-man

Realistically, Smith SHOULD be at least 2 years away... and if things play out and everyone develops as they should, next year, when Nick hangs them up (apocalypse) either Ericsson or Kindl move into top 4 next year, while the other fills the bottom pairing and in 2 years when Rafalski hangs them up, whomever was in the number 4 spot moves into the number 2 spot, 6 spot to 4 and Smith to 6 - and if any one of them outplays the other, shift around, all the while, having Kronwall as your num 1, Stuart your 3 and your 5 being that vet or other FA... it actually plays itself out perfect this way... they just have to develop and if they don't... then we go write a huge check in FA and get someone to replace Nick next year and we start entertaining moving forward without the one who didn't develop as they should.....

just my 2 cents...

Edited by stevkrause

We need to because Meech will almost certainly be traded. There were some articles a while back that Holland talked with Meech and they agreed that if he can't crack the top 6, he'd be traded so he could get more playing time elsewhere. So, as he will almost certainly be traded, we need another defenseman.

Also the steadying presence thing that others already mentioned.

What I find frustrating is that we have far too many forwards yet there's issues with cap space. Ditch a forward or two, particularly if Modano signs, and we could sign a bit of a better d-man for the third pair.

Edited by Zetts

I think that is the way you kinda have to look at it...

If you look at Ericsson's production and play the last month of the season and into the playoff's alongside of Lilja instead of bouncing around on D pairings, it speaks volumes about what that presence can do for him... keep in mind, this is only his 2nd year in the NHL and really only like his 5th year even playing D - there are going to be some growing pains, but the potential is there and he is only 25, it's WAY too early to make a projection on what he will be... and, not by the same details(or background) but with the same projection, there's no way to know what Kindl will be either and BOTH have shown that they do much better with a steadying presence (and both are known to have defensive mental lapses)

Janik, although a GREAT depth guy, is what he is - a 6/7/8/fringe NHL d-man who is solid defensively and has a mean streak, but has never shown more and at 30, is pretty much what he will be for his career...

I want to see Kindl and Ericsson given every opportunity to show what they have this year, but I want them to be able to do it favorable situation, to see what they can really be - and that means paired with a solid, shut down, NHL proven d-man

Realistically, Smith SHOULD be at least 2 years away... and if things play out and everyone develops as they should, next year, when Nick hangs them up (apocalypse) either Ericsson or Kindl move into top 4 next year, while the other fills the bottom pairing and in 2 years when Rafalski hangs them up, whomever was in the number 4 spot moves into the number 2 spot, 6 spot to 4 and Smith to 6 - and if any one of them outplays the other, shift around, all the while, having Kronwall as your num 1, Stuart your 3 and your 5 being that vet or other FA... it actually plays itself out perfect this way... they just have to develop and if they don't... then we go write a huge check in FA and get someone to replace Nick next year and we start entertaining moving forward without the one who didn't develop as they should.....

just my 2 cents...

I can follow that line of reasoning. I guess I am judging Ericsson a little harshly on last season. Hopefully next season he will be able to get back on a good development path. Be nice if the Wings can get off to a good start and maybe Babcock can play the youngsters with Lids a little before the playoffs start. :)

I still wouldn't mind seeing Holland put that money towards dealing for some picks at the deadline.

Edited by Broken 16

Don't get me wrong, Janik played well in his limited time in the big club, but his sample size of judgment is really small, never having a full NHL season under his belt. I mean you're a bit down on Ericsson which is perfectly fine - he played as good as you could've expected a rookie to play in the 2008 lengthy playoff run, and wasn't quite up to snuff in his first full NHL regular season.

If the cards fall the way for Janik to be the 6th defenseman, I'd be fairly content. However, you can never have too much depth as stated above and I would love to re-sign Lilja or get a comparable stay at home defenseman if available and have Janik and co. compete for the 7th spot.

Don't get me wrong, Janik played well in his limited time in the big club, but his sample size of judgment is really small, never having a full NHL season under his belt.

He actually has played two full season -- in '07 and '08 with the Bolts. I can only judge from his stats, which aren't good but the Lighting also sucked those years so his +/- would be poor. He's spent the last two seasons as a call-up though, so I guess those 30 GMs weren't too impressed with his stint there.

He actually has played two full season -- in '07 and '08 with the Bolts. I can only judge from his stats, which aren't good but the Lighting also sucked those years so his +/- would be poor. He's spent the last two seasons as a call-up though, so I guess those 30 GMs weren't too impressed with his stint there.

Ah. I stand corrected then.

Our 3rd pairing was not very good last year. Hell our 2nd pairing had trouble last year, even when healthy.

It's probably the biggest weakness on the team right now, that's why some of us wouldn't mind seeing it adressed. I like Janik, but he only played when others were hurt last year, and I didn't see any indication that the team intends to use him frequently alongside Ericsson.

A little more shot blocking and physicality can go a long way for this team on that 3rd pairing.

Kindl will be a pleasant surprise this season, I'm sure of it. I wouldn't bother signing a veteran 6th defenceman as Kindl will do a fine job and after about 15-20 games we'll know that we've got someone who is more than capable of being an NHL defenceman.

i've said this before...

with lids and rafalski getting older, keep them fresh. play each D line 20 mins a night and pair them up accordingly:

kronwall - stuart

lids - kindl

rafalski - ericsson

give kronwall and stuart the 1st pairing to get them ready to take over when lids and raf are gone. switch the lines once in a while to mix things up, but that should help everyone in the longrun. and when lids retires, bring in smith. the wings have a great system and development program, trust it.

Disaster waiting to happen.

Disaster waiting to happen.

Agreed - that is in no way, shape or form a steadying defensive presence... Rafalski is very good at what he is... an offensive defenseman. He is the exact opposite of what needs to be paired with E for E to flourish...

I don't understand why people would want the Wings to sign a sixth Dman

Risk mitigation. Things could work out. But D was our achilles heel last year. We have talented youngsters and 6th man may be no issue at all. Then again maybe Ericsson struggles again and no one steps up and we leave Howard feeling like the target in a shooting range. And the worst last year was the turnovers, which again is even a bigger risk then rookies. It would really suck if Howard evolves and plays better, our O doesn't have the injuries, Madano brings alive third line scoring, and we spot every team a goal or two handicap in every game because of bad rookie turnovers.

BTW, I'm not arguing we should sign a vet sixth D man, I'm just saying that's the fear I have.

Lidstrom Rafalski (fewer minutes)

Kronwall Janik

Stuart Ericsson/Kindl

If they do cut down on Nick and Rafis ice time it can easily be balanced out with these other pairings. Kronwall and Janik would be interesting. Stuart is a solid vet that can be given the responsibility of settling down the younger guys. Only other option would be to break up the top pairing but I don't see that happening and I don't trust Rafi with anyone other than Nick nowadays.

Edit: As far as Meech goes, if Ericsson and Kindl come out of camp looking good I would ship Meech out of town for whatever we can get. If we run in to injury trouble, I guess then Kenny would be forced to make a move. As of now I think we are solid at the back and still need to lock in Abey and Helmer so I really could care less if we signed another D-man until we have to.

Edited by zettie85

Lidstrom Rafalski (fewer minutes)

Kronwall Janik

Stuart Ericsson/Kindl

If they do cut down on Nick and Rafis ice time it can easily be balanced out with these other pairings. Kronwall and Janik would be interesting. Stuart is a solid vet that can be given the responsibility of settling down the younger guys. Only other option would be to break up the top pairing but I don't see that happening and I don't trust Rafi with anyone other than Nick nowadays.

Stuart and Rafalski played quite well together last year... if anything, I think it makes a lot more sense to go:

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson/Kindl-Lilja OR Hnidy (both can be had for 1mil or less and add EXACTLY what we need from that 6th d-man)

Ericsson/Kindl

trade/waive Meech

done and done.

That looks a LOT better and lot more even and complimentary in my mind...