• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

brett

4th line

Rate this topic

Short question:

What if Maltby shows an outstanding performance at the training camp?! Playing better than Eaves, Miller, Helm and Abdelkader...

does he really have the chance to earn a spot on the roster?

I'm grateful for everything Malts has done for the Red Wings, but I sure hope not. It's time to move ahead with youth. There are too many "possible" forwards pining for the 4th line. You've got Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Draper, Ritola, Maltby and Downey as possibilities. Unless a couple of those guys are willing to play in Grand Rapids, namely Malts and Downey, I doubt they'll be with the Wings in any capacity.

downey would be awesome with abby and helm.. but i think it'll end up being abby helm and miller.. with eaves and draper getting games here and there. drapers a decent pk too.. i could see maltby being offered a 2-way and declining it.... but who knows. i am very excited for this season though!!

downey would be awesome with abby and helm.. but i think it'll end up being abby helm and eaves.. with miller and draper getting games here and there. drapers a decent pk too.. i could see maltby being offered a 2-way and declining it.... but who knows. i am very excited for this season though!!

Fixed that for ya. :)

I'd be all for Helm fighting more, as long as he's not hiding behind his windshield. If he loses the lid before he starts throwing, I'm fine with that.

I'm from Helm's hometown.....it should be in his genes.....his uncles could really throw em.....lol

Question: If we assume that the lines will be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Modano-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Who are the fair candidates for the two reserve forwards spots?

Of course we got Draper, Miller, Ritola. I actually think Maltby and Downey are fair candidates. Anybody else?

To me, Abby-Helm-Eaves, has that grind line kind of feel to it. If only Abby could throw them like DMac. The other 2 compare quite well to Draper and Maltby, with Eaves having that offensive upside of someone who scored 50 in Juniors.

As for Miller, I see him as redundant. Especially with Eaves here. I don't see Miller being any better than he was last year, where I see room for Eaves to improve his game. And keep in mind, he's a coaches kid and plays like one. Always in position and always ready to do what the coach asks of him. I see Miller, somehow playing in Tampa again next year.

Edited due to big thumbs on a mobile device.

Edited by BigWillieStyle

I don't understand the lack of love for Miller. I thought he played well with us last season, especially teamed with Eaves on pk, and even chipped in a few goals.

It's not really about a lack of love for him. It's just that the Wings have only so many roster spots.

With Abby soon to be signed we have to get rid of two players I think one is meech the other is either Miller or Ritola Malts may take a two way deal maybe Downey also with two way deal. That leaves Draper and the one left over between Miller or Ritola. That's the way I see it going down.

Question: If we assume that the lines will be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Modano-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Who are the fair candidates for the two reserve forwards spots?

Of course we got Draper, Miller, Ritola. I actually think Maltby and Downey are fair candidates. Anybody else?

think ive mentioned it somewhere before, but what if Tatar & Smith blow all the coaches away at camp? do we take Kenny and Babs for their word that the best players will play? I think Smith will have a year at GR and then be on the team, i mean Kindl could bomb and leave an opening on the 7th D, Smith would be wasted sitting in the box when he could be eating the mins at GR. Tatar is a different kettle of fish thou, in my eyes. Maybe some say he should spend another year in GR but I would have him on the team now. Getting some 3/4 line mins and maybe a little pp time. Tough one to call i know as the team is stacked at the forwards. I dont think that Ritola would clear waivers thou so if it comes down to it maybe they trade Miller/Meech/Ritola and get something back for them. Drapes aint going anywhere, Malts i think is gone interesting about Downey. Mentor in GR is the best i can see for him, maybe showing Callahan tricks of the trade. I think Draper Holmstrom and Kindl are the guys who need to do the business, they could be sitting in the box a bit this year.

think ive mentioned it somewhere before, but what if Tatar & Smith blow all the coaches away at camp? do we take Kenny and Babs for their word that the best players will play? I think Smith will have a year at GR and then be on the team, i mean Kindl could bomb and leave an opening on the 7th D, Smith would be wasted sitting in the box when he could be eating the mins at GR. Tatar is a different kettle of fish thou, in my eyes. Maybe some say he should spend another year in GR but I would have him on the team now. Getting some 3/4 line mins and maybe a little pp time. Tough one to call i know as the team is stacked at the forwards. I dont think that Ritola would clear waivers thou so if it comes down to it maybe they trade Miller/Meech/Ritola and get something back for them. Drapes aint going anywhere, Malts i think is gone interesting about Downey. Mentor in GR is the best i can see for him, maybe showing Callahan tricks of the trade. I think Draper Holmstrom and Kindl are the guys who need to do the business, they could be sitting in the box a bit this year.

That is absolutely nuts. No way Holland moves players to make room for really young, undeveloped guys who have minor league options. If by some chance Tatar and Smith really are that ready to play on the Wings it they'll get their chances as injuries happen throughout the year. No way is Kindl bumped. He'll be given his chances (he'll have his hurdles to get over) and that's why Holland signed Salei so that Kindl wouldnt have to be depended on every single game.

Both Tatar and Smith need seasoning and developing in GR. Even if they show some amazing progress in training camp it'll be similar to Kindl a few years ago

Sometimes you need to do what is best for the player not just who is better. Smith could take the 7th spot but is that what's best for him, no he need mins. If or when someone is hurt he will get some ice time. That's my guess.

Downey? Do some of you honestly thing the guy makes the team? He'll be lucky to make GR! Miller and Meech are more than likely both gone and Ritola/Draper will be riding the pines until someone gets hurt. Only way Downey is on this team is if 5 guys get hurt early preseason. Otherwise he has no chance!

A 4th line of Abs - Helm - Eaves looks pretty sick.

Are we only allowed to keep 1 extra forward on the roster? There is no way that Homer, Eaves, Cleary, Franzen, and others will play a full season, so it would be nice to have Draper, Ritola, and Miller to fill in.

Are we only allowed a 13th forward, then any extras will have to play in GR and get called up?