• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

24fan4ever

Team still needs grit!

Rate this topic

I still feel the wings need a Martin Lapointe type of player. Someone who is a full time part of the roster and not in GR during the playoffs. I believe Aaron Asham would be a great addition to the team, with good speed and the grit the team needs but who do they give up for him?

Edited by 24fan4ever

I still feel the wings need a Martian Lapointe type of player. Someone who is a full time part of the roster and not in GR during the playoffs. I believe Aaron Asham would be a great addition to the team, with good speed and the grit the team needs but who do they give up for him?

4th line of helm - eaves - abby has some pretty good grit to it. maybe even some sandpaper. like your name though. :thumbup: cleary and franzen also have some pretty good grit. and no one f***s with dats, it just doesn't happen. wings are set. though ericsson could hit more...

Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves

All the grit you need

hmm. typing at the same time i see.

lets not flame or neg the guy right away, it does say this is his first post AND that he just joined today, lets not show him how un-welcoming this board can be right away, let him ease into it, haha

Welcome to the board!

With that said, a guy like Asham could be a decent addition to this roster, if there wasn't already such a logjam of players back there, keeping in mind that we are already going to need to cut at least one player just to stay under the 23 man roster limit for Modano, now granted, it will be Meech most likely (as he was surely to be traded/waived regardless) but I just don't think we need to add anymore players from outside at this point up front... the only spot that could still possibly use some shoring up, is the bottom d pairing with a good, physical, stay at home vet (Hnidy, McKee, etc...)

Also keep in mind that Abby took boxing lessons this off season and isn't opposed to getting his nose dirty, neither are Eaves or Ericsson... we'll be just fine in that area...

If we add Hnidy to our #6 spot we are set for grit.I would prefer one more tough 4th liner and then we would be absolutely fine but a combination of Abby, Ericcson, Hnidy, Eaves a little, Bert a little and Janik perhaps rotating in and out of the lineup as the 7th guy and this team looks decent toughness wise.

If Janik ends up as the 6th Dman I tihnk we see both him and Abby end up with around 10 fights each. Ericcson is the wild card here. When the guy decides to get mean, watch out. But its just too often that he doesn't. He is a guy who could actually go with some of the lesser heavyweights like Parros and actually do alright I think. If he starts fighting and clearing the crease then this team looks good going forward to me.

Thanks for the welcome, it might take a little bit to learn the system here. I hope Abby can fill the role i think it is very important to protect your investments.

This has been a VERY hot topic on this board as long as I've been coming here, so some people get sick of hearing it... It usually leads to intense "enforcer" debates which always lead to heated exchanges and bad feelings, so naturally this is one topic to tread lightly on here, but it does have it's validity...

As long as you:

- Check back at least a couple pages to make sure a topic hasn't already been started before starting a thread

- Don't start crap just to get a rise out of people

- Don't want to have Crosby's lovechild (Carman)

- Don't post line combo threads just for funsies and piss everyone here off with your complete lack of substance to the board (blueadams)

people are generally accepting and intelligent here and can have some pretty good discussions...

I think if we add Hnidy, that's about as gritty as we'll get for this year. By no means a gritty team. The 4th line will be a good grinding trio, but not any real tough guys. I'm hoping Bert grows some balls and throws some hits next year, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If we add Hnidy, I like our team toughness going into next season. It would be a huge improvement over seasons past. Janik, Ericcson, Abby, Eaves, Hnidy, Bert are all capable fighters. Hnidy is a very good fighter and if Janik gets playing time I bet he'll be fihgting all the time trying to keep his spot in the NHL

Yes, it would be better than in seasons past, but compared to the rest of the league, we're still not very mean, but at least we're heading in that direction. If we give Bertuzzi a more defined role, I think he'd be fighting a little more. With the injuries last year, he was looked upon as an offensive leader and helped carry the team for a while. With the added depth, Bertuzzi won't have as much offensive duty.

If we add Hnidy to our #6 spot we are set for grit.I would prefer one more tough 4th liner and then we would be absolutely fine but a combination of Abby, Ericcson, Hnidy, Eaves a little, Bert a little and Janik perhaps rotating in and out of the lineup as the 7th guy and this team looks decent toughness wise.

If Janik ends up as the 6th Dman I tihnk we see both him and Abby end up with around 10 fights each. Ericcson is the wild card here. When the guy decides to get mean, watch out. But its just too often that he doesn't. He is a guy who could actually go with some of the lesser heavyweights like Parros and actually do alright I think. If he starts fighting and clearing the crease then this team looks good going forward to me.

I'd like to see Janik get the 6th/7th spot above Meech if the Wings don't sign another d-man. I'd love Asham, but he would command a permanent spot on the team and that would likely force the Wings to trade Eaves. Instead, I'd like the Wings to sign someone like Downey who can sit in the press-box for many games and then play when needed. Hopefully the Wings can afford to keep Downey (or whoever) in the press box instead of sending him down to GR (unless he wants that). That allows a better night-to-night assessment of if an enforcer needs to be dressed.

..., a guy like Asham could be a decent addition to this roster, if there wasn't already such a logjam of players back there, keeping in mind that we are already going to need to cut at least one player just to stay under the 23 man roster limit for Modano, now granted, it will be Meech most likely (as he was surely to be traded/waived regardless) but I just don't think we need to add anymore players from outside at this point up front...

Meech isn't going anywhere until (unless) we add another defenseman (or if Janik beats him out in camp). Ritola, Miller, and Eaves are the likely candidates for now.

Meech isn't going anywhere until (unless) we add another defenseman (or if Janik beats him out in camp). Ritola, Miller, and Eaves are the likely candidates for now.

You're just flat wrong... Holland has said flat out that unless Meech wins an everyday spot, meaning he would have to beat out Kindl AND Ericsson (yes, we WILL be adding another dman and you can quote me on that) that he would trade or waive him, so he would have a chance on another team... Ritola or Miller will likely be traded AS WELL once we add that dman, to get back down to 23, but Meech will NOT be on this team on opening day(barring some unexpected injury or unforseen trade) and you can quote me on that too...

I think it's a fine line to walk when balancing skill and grit. The Brian Burke model of a team sees the Top 2 lines filled with scorers, while the bottom lines are essentially grinders/enforcers. Detroit's lines aren't so black and white. It really seems to me that at the end of the day, scoring depth is what wins championships. Your skill can take you through the regular season, and once the playoffs hit a lot of your skilled players are willing to battle and grind it out anyway.

I don't mind not being the grittiest team in the league if we can be the most balanced scoring threat. Also, as it's been mentioned guys like Cleary and Bertuzzi, while not the biggest hitters, can provide some grit themselves. If you have enough skill on your team you can play a strong puck possession game, which allows for less grit to be required.

Either way, I'm just really pumped for next season to start, even if it means I'm back to classes. <_<

I think it's a fine line to walk when balancing skill and grit

The whole we're not gritty thing is ridiculous anyway. The only time we really had a problem was with teams like the Flames that just flat out assaulted us w/o any response from the officials or NHL. They did it because they had no chance to beat us on skill and they paid no price for doing it. I'm not sure you can design a team to be a talented hockey team and just brawl and having an "enforcer" isn't going to change it when the other team just all at the same time drops their gloves and assaults the closest Wing.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a bit more grit, especially since it can be had rather cheaply. Grit on defense is what I want more than anything else. Even more than having a gritty forward.

Oh and it's shameful how so many idiots attacked the OP just from posting his opinion on what he thinks the team wanted. You guys need to get a life if you're mad at his post.

You're just flat wrong... Holland has said flat out that unless Meech wins an everyday spot, meaning he would have to beat out Kindl AND Ericsson (yes, we WILL be adding another dman and you can quote me on that) that he would trade or waive him, so he would have a chance on another team... Ritola or Miller will likely be traded AS WELL once we add that dman, to get back down to 23, but Meech will NOT be on this team on opening day(barring some unexpected injury or unforseen trade) and you can quote me on that too...

"...until (unless) we add another defenseman ..."

Maybe you missed that part. Bottom line, Meech being moved has nothing to do with Modano.

It is not just 'likely' that Ritola or Miller (or maybe Eaves, possibly even Abby though highly unlikely) will be moved; it's an absolute necessity unless we get an injury in camp. If you count Ritola and Abby, we have 15 forwards. That's one too many. One of them has to go.

Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves

All the grit you need

I disagree.

We need some on the blueline. Kronwall and Stuart hit, but that's not the same as punishing guys around your net. And in case someone was going to suggest it, Ericsson doesn't do that either.

(I also can't help but wonder how long this thread will last, but so far so good)

No reason to delete the thread as long as there's nothing obscene or threatening being said. Usually, someone disagrees with someone else by now and remarks are made, and the topic is deleted.

I don't feel Ericsson does nearly a sufficient job clearing the crease. Hnidy, as I've said before, is my top choice.