• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen-Man

NHL itinerary for the "Shanahan Summit"

Rate this topic

I always though they should just eliminate the fact that if you score on the power play the player comes back on the ice. Make it the full time no matter how many goals are scored. Might make people think twice before taking stupid penalties.

Guest CaliWingsNut

The League should be looking at spending more money on:

1) Better replay equipment (including more camera positions, resulting in better views of plays) and

2) More extensive training of their officials, both on-ice and off-ice.

3) Finding a better system than shootouts.

3) Finding a better system than shootouts.

Now there's an idea. I hate shootouts and think they're ridiculous but if the league doesn't want to go back to ties in the event of no future scoring after three periods and one overtime, they should come up with something else.

I would also agree that eliminating the instigator penalty would be a great start, along with better training for refs/linesman and for the reviewers in Toronto who have to look over contested goals. I would gather that about 30% of the bitching and complaining fans have over the length of a full season would be eliminated if just those three things I mentioned above were dealt with.

I really hope everything on this list gets turned down. Most of these ideas are laughable and absurd (ex: step down overtime), or need more explanation than just one phrase (ex: crease reset rule) to let me know what they even mean by it.

Personally, I've wondered if they were able to implement a goal/puck system that would work in determining goals without the use of a referee's judgment as to whether or not the puck fully crossed the goal line. Something like a chip in the center of the puck, and an invisible plane in the net for the puck to cross, that when the center of the puck breaks the plane, it is definitely all the way over the goal line. The only issue I see is if the puck was vertical after it crossed the goal line, it might not be far enough into the net to break the plane, similar to a goal we saw earlier this year...

Which, by the way, if anyone can find a video of that one, I'd appreciate it. The puck was on its side and all the way over the line, but I can't remember if they called it a goal or disallowed it.

I really hope everything on this list gets turned down. Most of these ideas are laughable and absurd (ex: step down overtime), or need more explanation than just one phrase (ex: crease reset rule) to let me know what they even mean by it.

Personally, I've wondered if they were able to implement a goal/puck system that would work in determining goals without the use of a referee's judgment as to whether or not the puck fully crossed the goal line. Something like a chip in the center of the puck, and an invisible plane in the net for the puck to cross, that when the center of the puck breaks the plane, it is definitely all the way over the goal line. The only issue I see is if the puck was vertical after it crossed the goal line, it might not be far enough into the net to break the plane, similar to a goal we saw earlier this year...

Which, by the way, if anyone can find a video of that one, I'd appreciate it. The puck was on its side and all the way over the line, but I can't remember if they called it a goal or disallowed it.

this is exactly why I dont get why they think a "verification line" is going do solve anything.

I really hope they don't change anything. I don't understand why it is necessary to make major changes, year after year, to long standing rules in a sport that has been played for a century.

Is this an annual conference? Are the topics of discussion usually this outlandish?

Two other things I noticed:

1) I don't know if it was Kenny or Babs a few years back that suggested each bench should have a challenge (like in the NFL, and if they're wrong the team gets penalized somehow) against a referee's call on the ice. Like others have brought up, it seems every major call is already reviewed and sent to Toronto, so I don't know how much this would work. Would it work for goals that are waved off and never reviewed?

2)If you think about it, hockey at the professional level is the only league in where the puck has to be touched for it to be icing. I'm not for or against either way, I'm just saying that I played hockey my whole life and never had to touch the puck for an icing. It does bring a little more into the call though, considering someone from the opposing team can bust their ass and wave it off (I'm thinking Helm).

But yeah, overall, everything sounds terrible.

Hey, they are thinking outside the box here and that is what this summit is all about after all. The ideas proposed are smart to some people, and dumb to others. The key is to just discuss them and see what comes about. I agree that we probably won't see 2 on 2 hockey. At the same time though, I like the 2nd ref off the ice surface idea.

Overtime until there is a winner. Most teams will "rediscover" ways the win in regulation time.

*coughPittsburghcough*

:P

That said, the idea would never fly, especially in the latter half of the season with weekend games on NBC. They have enough problem with OT games in the playoffs. During the regular season, they'd just cut the game for horse racing again.

I kind of like the overtime idea except my idea was to start off 5v5 and remove a player from each side every four minutes until someone scores until you are down to 1v1, not including the goalie, and at that time any penalty is an automatic penalty shot. Still have the golden goal, so first team to score wins and no shootouts.

Guest CaliWingsNut

this is exactly why I dont get why they think a "verification line" is going do solve anything.

Did his glove pass the second line with the puck in it?

Instead of the verification goal line, why not just say "on video review, if the puck is conclusively over the line, it is a goal. otherwise, it isnt a goal" or im sure they have the technology to surround the puck's surface area with some sort of infrared rays that trigger the horn when it crosses the goal line.

puck over glass=icing

intentional offside=icing

no instigator rule unless theres 5 minutes or less left in a game with a 3 or more goal margin. in that case, coaches and players get fined and/or suspended.

no intent to blow the whistle. you either blow it or you dont. intent should be irrelevant in hockey unless its intent to injure.

goalie interference can be overturned on video review

line change box to eliminate some too many men calls

i hate the no icing on pk rule, especially because so many phantom calls still haunt our game.

i think there should be an independent committee that can review embellishment on penalties. maybe 1st offense is forgiven, 2nd is a fine, 3rd a bigger fine,4th is a 1 game suspension, 5th is 3 games, etc. i couldnt watch the world cup because of all the diving and its making me pretty fed up that it happens in hockey too.

id like overtime to be a 10 minute 4 on 4 with no on-the-fly line changes followed by a 5 round shootout. 3 points for a win, 2 points for a shootout win, 1 point for a shootout loss. overtime would count as regulation as far as points are concerned.

thats what i would do to the on-ice game.

Today is Day One; from TSN :

It promises to be the kind of scene a hockey nut can't help but marvel at.

With a series of revamped rules and an altered ice sheet that has just one faceoff dot in each zone, the NHL's research and development camp will feature plenty of outside-the-box thinking.

It plays out over four sessions at the Toronto Maple Leafs practice facility on Wednesday and Thursday, with 33 top-rated junior players being put through their paces by veteran coaches Ken Hitchcock and Dave King. The stands will be full of general managers and executives carefully watching everything unfold.

"Like most people, I'm curious," Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's vice-president of hockey and business affairs, said Tuesday. "I'm curious to see a lot of these things play out. I know as a player, it would be fun to play with these new challenges and new rules and new ideas."

Shanahan was tasked with bringing the camp together -- an assignment that came directly from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

Narrowing the shallowness of the net by four inches to create more ice behind the net and enable more wrap-around attempts

I read this one and I didn't think this was a bad idea personally.

From TSN :

On the first day of the NHL's research and development camp, hockey certainly looked different. But there's no reason for fans to expect any drastic change to the game.

There wasn't exactly a flood of support for having just one faceoff dot in the centre of the offensive zone or starting play with the puck already on the ice and the referee blowing his whistle.

Instead, some of the more subtle changes seemed to appeal to the general managers in attendance at the Toronto Maple Leafs practice facility.

Chief among them is a hybrid icing rule that is designed to reduce dangerous collisions resulting from a race for the puck. The proposed change gives linesmen the ability to make a ruling on whether a play will be called icing based on which player reaches the faceoff dot first -- rather than who is first to touch the puck.

Honestly I love Shanny as a player but these ideas are getting ridiculous. The faceoff dot in the middle of the ice? No line change on offsides? No icing the puck on PK. Seriously I hope none of these ideas ever enter the game. I'm losing respect.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Honestly I love Shanny as a player but these ideas are getting ridiculous. The faceoff dot in the middle of the ice? No line change on offsides? No icing the puck on PK. Seriously I hope none of these ideas ever enter the game. I'm losing respect.

How are you losing respect in the NHL for trying ideas? Just because you read a 1 sentence summary on each and decided they all suck? The whole idea of this is to see what is and isn't useful. Lose respect when they implement them all in 1 year.

How are you losing respect in the NHL for trying ideas? Just because you read a 1 sentence summary on each and decided they all suck? The whole idea of this is to see what is and isn't useful. Lose respect when they implement them all in 1 year.

Hockey use to be a pure sport, only implementing rules when needed. They are trying to turn it in to a circus. I liker the hybrid icing rule and the area around the benches for line changes because they are necessary. Nothing else is. Face off circle in the middle of the ice in the zones? Why? They just have to stop trying to change a great game.

I read this one and I didn't think this was a bad idea personally.

I agree, as long as they do not change the size of the opening, why shouldn't they make the net shallower.

I also like the idea (I think it was in another thread about this topic) that on a delayed penalty the offending team must clear the zone (kind of like offsides) and then possess the puck, will lead to more 6 on 5 play.