• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broken 16

Best off season ever?

Rate this topic

I'm starting to think that this offseason may turn out to be one of the best off season's I've ever witnessed as a Wings fan. There have been plenty of splashy, dramatic signings throughout the years, but I am thoroughly enjoying watching Kenny and Co. tapdance dance their way around the salary cap and still put together a deep roster only 15 months from back to back Stanley Cup appearances. Just the fact that we are in the running for Mitchell speaks volumes about this management team. The efficiency they show is almost awe inspiring.

Wait, what's the word on us being on Mitchell?? I've been working a lot, so forgive me. I don't know though. I think the 2007 offseason was pretty kick ass. Rafalski was exactly what we needed to get over the top and WIN THE CUP!! And the year after with the Hossa deal, not to shabby either!! We'd have to win the Cup next season for me to rank this offseaon above the last two or three.

I don't know about the best offseason ever. Definitely one of the better ones though, I think the best one ever would have to go to the summer of 01, adding hull, robitaille, and Hasek in one offseason was the biggest offseason ever IMO. adding that kind of firepower to an already potent roster in Yzerman and Co.

It's certainly one of the more exciting offseasons, but I can't quite take the plunge and say it's THE most exciting/best. The offseason of '01 when we picked up Hasek, Hullie, and Luc... That season could not start fast enough. From day one, you just knew that we were going to be wire-to-wire favorites. That whole offseason was felt with nervous excitement, knowing the potential that team had.

I will agree though, that this offseason could be Holland's best since the salary cap, though only time will tell with that.

Is it October yet?

2002 as others have said.

Signing three Hall of Famers when they were still damn good players was amazing. Especially the Hasek signing.

Also, how about 2008, or has everyone forgotten already? We brought back most of our Cup roster and added Hossa. Didn't turn out as well in the long run, but the offseason itself was really special.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The only great offseasons are the ones that follow cup wins.

Getting excited over actual success is much more satisfying than potential success.

Wow... that's so deep...

I figured '02 might edge this season out. It's hard to deny adding all that firepower in one off season. The cap is what makes this off season so much more interesting to me. The aftershocks of the cap are starting to hit some teams and the Wings are doing a good job managing it.

2002 as others have said.

Signing three Hall of Famers when they were still damn good players was amazing. Especially the Hasek signing.

We actually traded Slava Kozlov for Hasek. Once we did that, all the UFA's were like, "Oh man, I gotta sign with Detroit!" Hull passed up more money with Montreal and Robitaille had a couple other bigger offers (can't remember who) before joining us because he wanted a Cup. The 2002 offseason was the best, no doubt.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

This has been an enjoyable if somewhat boring off-season, but the 2001 and 2008 offseasons both got me pumped beyond belief.

Edit: Meant 2001 offseason

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

<br />It's certainly one of the more exciting offseasons, but I can't quite take the plunge and say it's THE most exciting/best.  The offseason of '01 when we picked up Hasek, Hullie, and Luc...  That season could not start fast enough.  From day one, you just knew that we were going to be wire-to-wire favorites.  That whole offseason was felt with nervous excitement, knowing the potential that team had.<br /><br />I will agree though, that this offseason could be Holland's best since the salary cap, though only time will tell with that.<br /><br />Is it October yet?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, for sure the best offseason that the Wings have had since the Salary Cap was implemented was either the 2007 or 2008 season. This doesn't even come close.

Now if and when we win the Cup this next season or next (if Modano plays 2 years here) then you may have an argument for THIS offseason to be one of the best (since the salary cap).

But for me, it's the 2007 offseaon HANDS DOWN!!! Rafalski signed/Schneider gone, we win the CUP!! We smoked just about everyone in the Playoffs too. It wasn't even close till we got to the Finals. That team was awesome!!

Now Hudler is back, but I am not sure if that's fair to count in this "Best offseason ever" questionnaire........

Sine the Salary Cap, 2007 was the best offseason by far, flowed closely by the 2008 offseason!!

I'm starting to think that this offseason may turn out to be one of the best off season's I've ever witnessed as a Wings fan. There have been plenty of splashy, dramatic signings throughout the years, but I am thoroughly enjoying watching Kenny and Co. tapdance dance their way around the salary cap and still put together a deep roster only 15 months from back to back Stanley Cup appearances. Just the fact that we are in the running for Mitchell speaks volumes about this management team. The efficiency they show is almost awe inspiring.

I agree. I don't have the same pumped-up feeling like I did in the '02 and '08 offseasons, but this offseason it's like watching a genius playing chess for a lack of a better analogy.

Question is, if we won the cup this season, would you feel more of a satisfaction from it than when we won it a couple years ago?

I agree. I don't have the same pumped-up feeling like I did in the '02 and '08 offseasons, but this offseason it's like watching a genius playing chess for a lack of a better analogy.

Question is, if we won the cup this season, would you feel more of a satisfaction from it than when we won it a couple years ago?

Agreed, it's not splashy, but it's methodical. Holland really is good at this, isn't he?

Just to expound a little on why I'm still loving this offseason more than any other:

1) Modano signed and sounds excited to be here.

2) All of our role players are back.

3) Chelios (even though I hate him) is back.

4) Cleary sounds pumped and ready for the season to start.

5) Happy is back.

6) Everyone is rested. No more fatigue excuses.

7) Yzerman bolted and took on the Tampa Bay Lightning. (some may view this as a negative, but I view it as another team to follow)

8) Our fourth line is now going to be EXTREMELY annoying.

9) Datsyuk and Zetterberg will start the season together and it won't cost us depth at center!

10) We now have two legit PP units

11) Our PK from last season is in tact. (Well, at least as long as Miller is still around)

12) We added a quality face-off guy (Modano).

If Holland can manage to land Mitchell, that will be #13. :)

Just to expound a little on why I'm still loving this offseason more than any other:

1) Modano signed and sounds excited to be here.

2) All of our role players are back.

3) Chelios (even though I hate him) is back.

4) Cleary sounds pumped and ready for the season to start.

5) Happy is back.

6) Everyone is rested. No more fatigue excuses.

7) Yzerman bolted and took on the Tampa Bay Lightning. (some may view this as a negative, but I view it as another team to follow)

8) Our fourth line is now going to be EXTREMELY annoying.

9) Datsyuk and Zetterberg will start the season together and it won't cost us depth at center!

10) We now have two legit PP units

11) Our PK from last season is in tact. (Well, at least as long as Miller is still around)

12) We added a quality face-off guy (Modano).

If Holland can manage to land Mitchell, that will be #13. :)

i'll be excited even if the wings can't add mitchell and play kindl (who i personally think is gonna be a really good NHL dman). though if holland gets mitchell for under 3mil i'll be pretty happy. meech will be moved and probably ritola, but if mitchell signs for 5 years under 15 mil, then it's worth it....if he stays healthy.

We are so lucky to have other recent years to compare this to. But, even against other team's summers so far, I am really pumped. GO WINGS!!!

Off the wall thought. Could Kenny and Mike be making such a big deal of the Modano signing in public in order to lure Willie or another d-man into taking a discount to win The Cup? Not really a conspiracy theory guy but could be a genious move if it actually happened. "Cuppy, Cuppy, Cuppy."

2nd edit. Got the 24th (Proby)reply and the 25th (D-Mac) post. Don't f*** with me.

Edited by Marty Barry