• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Andrew

Andrew

redwings8831

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

I'll take the summers of '97 (minus the car accident :(), '98, '02, or '08 please.

#22 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

If we are old, we might as well go all out... dump Hudler and Meech then take Guerin and Weight for $1M each :hehe:

#23 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think everybody is forgetting something that may push this offseason over the edge. No More Lebda.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Just to expound a little on why I'm still loving this offseason more than any other:

1) Modano signed and sounds excited to be here.
2) All of our role players are back.
3) Chelios (even though I hate him) is back.
4) Cleary sounds pumped and ready for the season to start.
5) Happy is back.
6) Everyone is rested. No more fatigue excuses.
7) Yzerman bolted and took on the Tampa Bay Lightning. (some may view this as a negative, but I view it as another team to follow)
8) Our fourth line is now going to be EXTREMELY annoying.
9) Datsyuk and Zetterberg will start the season together and it won't cost us depth at center!
10) We now have two legit PP units
11) Our PK from last season is in tact. (Well, at least as long as Miller is still around)
12) We added a quality face-off guy (Modano).

If Holland can manage to land Mitchell, that will be #13. :)

i'll be excited even if the wings can't add mitchell and play kindl (who i personally think is gonna be a really good NHL dman). though if holland gets mitchell for under 3mil i'll be pretty happy. meech will be moved and probably ritola, but if mitchell signs for 5 years under 15 mil, then it's worth it....if he stays healthy.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#25 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

We are so lucky to have other recent years to compare this to. But, even against other team's summers so far, I am really pumped. GO WINGS!!!

Off the wall thought. Could Kenny and Mike be making such a big deal of the Modano signing in public in order to lure Willie or another d-man into taking a discount to win The Cup? Not really a conspiracy theory guy but could be a genious move if it actually happened. "Cuppy, Cuppy, Cuppy."

2nd edit. Got the 24th (Proby)reply and the 25th (D-Mac) post. Don't f*** with me.

Edited by Marty Barry, 07 August 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

2001 offseason, nothing will top that getting Hull and Robitaille and Hasek.

This offseason is still solid and exciting nevertheless with getting Modano, Lidstrom back for another year, Hudler, etc.

#27 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

If we are old, we might as well go all out... dump Hudler and Meech then take Guerin and Weight for $1M each :hehe:

Guerin and Weight? No thanks.
Do or do not. There is no try

#28 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

No off season will ever beat the 01-02 off season. Landing Dominik Hasek, Brett Hull, and Luc Robitaille all in the same week, will most likely never be topped again in this salary cap era.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#29 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

I don't know about the best offseason ever. Definitely one of the better ones though, I think the best one ever would have to go to the summer of 01, adding hull, robitaille, and Hasek in one offseason was the biggest offseason ever IMO. adding that kind of firepower to an already potent roster in Yzerman and Co.

I don't find that as impressive, throwing money at people is easy to do. Ask the Yanks. Both are extremely impressive compared to other teams management. I would say how Chicago built their team compared to ours... Makes this offseason look genius.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#30 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Kenny please! Get us Mitchell!

/Red wings nation.

#31 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I don't find that as impressive, throwing money at people is easy to do. Ask the Yanks. Both are extremely impressive compared to other teams management. I would say how Chicago built their team compared to ours... Makes this offseason look genius.

That's what I'm talking about. In my OP I mentioned that there have been plenty of splashy moves over the years, but this methodical filling out of the roster that Kenny and Co. have managed this off season just blows my mind.

#32 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Mitchell who?

Oh, and I vote 2001, Hasek, Hull, and Robitaille.

Edit: Oh wait, forget it, you're talking Willie.

Edited by Barrie, 07 August 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#33 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

I'm starting to think that this offseason may turn out to be one of the best off season's I've ever witnessed as a Wings fan

I know you said "one of" the best. And it's been a good one. But man, 2001 was the it offseason

In reading on, I see I'm not the first to mention this.

:cool:
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#34 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I know you said "one of" the best. And it's been a good one. But man, 2001 was the it offseason

In reading on, I see I'm not the first to mention this.

:cool:

Ya, I totally acknowledge 2001, but this offseason is cool because none of the other fan bases hardly have a clue that were are really close to being fully loaded. Check out the HF boards. Everyone is ranking us 4th-8th in the Western standings next season. It makes me giggle to see the Wings totally underrated and underestimated.

#35 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Ya, I totally acknowledge 2001, but this offseason is cool because none of the other fan bases hardly have a clue that were are really close to being fully loaded. Check out the HF boards. Everyone is ranking us 4th-8th in the Western standings next season. It makes me giggle to see the Wings totally underrated and underestimated.

Good point. And true, Hasek, Hull and Robetille didn't come quietly. But I think the biggest thing of this off-season is that we were exhausted and injured last year and with a longer off season and injury healing time getting our own team back is our biggest move.

Also on the 4th to eighth, keep in mind for anyone to pick the Hawks ahead of us automatically drops us to at least 4th so it may not quite be as quiet as you think.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#36 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

If Darren McCarty comes out of retirement, this will be the greatest offseason ever. Like Esteef said, we haven't won a Cup without him since 1955 :thumbup: One more year, D-Mac!:)

It also seems to be a good omen when we beat the Avs in the playoffs.

Edited by Original-Six, 08 August 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#37 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

If Darren McCarty comes out of retirement, this will be the greatest offseason ever. Like Esteef said, we haven't won a Cup without him since 1955 :thumbup: One more year, D-Mac!:)

great joke post. appreciate you bringing some humor to the board.