• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

What Current NHL Players are Locks for the Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Chris Osgood is 10th in wins with 396, has 24th in shutouts with 50, and of goalies who have played 75 games he is 30th in GAA and 52nd in sv%.

He's 8th in playoff wins with 74, 4th in shutouts with 15, and of goaltenders who have won at least 8 postseason wins, he is 17th in GAA and 16th in sv%.

Hall of Fame players typically do (at least) one thing very well that makes them stand out from the crowd. Osgood is vanilla.

Not one of those stats individually impress me. Best he's done in his career is 4th, regardless of team achievements. As a whole, they don't seem equivalent of a Hall of Fame Player.

No way he gets the nod in my opinion.

Chris Osgood is 10th in wins with 396, has 24th in shutouts with 50, and of goalies who have played 75 games he is 30th in GAA and 52nd in sv%.

He's 8th in playoff wins with 74, 4th in shutouts with 15, and of goaltenders who have won at least 8 postseason wins, he is 17th in GAA and 16th in sv%.

Yea I think he has the numbers now but.....

Hall of Fame players typically do (at least) one thing very well that makes them stand out from the crowd. Osgood is vanilla.

Not one of those stats individually impress me. Best he's done in his career is 4th, regardless of team achievements. As a whole, they don't seem equivalent of a Hall of Fame Player.

It is this view of oz that will keep him out.

no love for turco it seems!

And technically peter "the foot" forsberg isn't retired don't know if he'll make it in......:P (sarcasm)

1994-95: Osgood was 17th in wins as a backup, 3rd in GAA, 16th in SO, 2nd in sv%.

1995-96: Osgood led the league in GAA, Wins, and Winning % in 1995-96, 3rd in SO, and 8th in sv%.

1996-97: Osgood was 13th in wins with 23, 4th in SO with 6, 13th in sv%, 6th in GAA.

Osgood may not be a big name goalie, but he's a winner.

What about Khabibulin?

If Ozzie is a question mark, Khabibulin is a no. One Cup isn't enough to get him in. He's had a good career, but not a Hall of Fame career.

Crosby and Ovechkin are not hall of famers at this point in their careers. Are they on the right track?yes. Would they be hall of famers if they both retired tomorrow?No. Calling them hall of famers at this point is a bit early, to me. Gotta put up at least 1,000 points and there are/will be guys who score 1,000 points and still not get in (Keith Tkachuk). What about Rafalski? He's on the fence for me. Won Stanley Cups with both New Jersey and us..

Were you anticipating egroen's post before he made it? :D

If Ovechkin and Crosby both had career ending injuries tomorrow they would get in the Hall. Both of them have already done more than say, Lindros, who will probably make it in. 2 Harts is a lock for Ovechkin and while Crosby only has one, a Cup and Olympic gold gets him in no question.

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.

No way Lindros gets in. Scored less than 1,000 points. Just because a guy has a few good seasons, doesn't mean he's a Hall-Of-Famer.

A few good seasons for me is what, 80-70-80 points in consecutive years or something. Lindros was crazy back in the day. I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but come on, give some credit where credit is due...

A few good seasons for me is what, 80-70-80 points in consecutive years or something. Lindros was crazy back in the day. I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but come on, give some credit where credit is due...

There are no guys I mentioned that have only had a few good seasons. All those players have been good for quite some time.

Don't know why everyone is discussing Lindros, since this thread wasn't about him nor did I ever mention him. I was talking about current NHL players only.

Lindros isn't even a good comparison, since he's not in the HOF yet, especially since the last few classes have been too stacked for him to get in.

Edited by GMRwings1983

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.

it would be unprecedented to keep a 2-time Hart winner out. Almost all 1-time winners are in.

These guys are not Mike Gartner, relying on years of accumulation to get in while never leading the league in anything; they have been universally acknowledged as the two best hockey players in the world for a significant stretch of time.

it would be unprecedented to keep a 2-time Hart winner out. Almost all 1-time winners are in.

These guys are not Mike Gartner, relying on years of accumulation to get in while never leading the league in anything; they have been universally acknowledged as the two best hockey players in the world for a significant stretch of time.

Well, Henrik Sedin is a 1-time winner too. He probably won't get in.

I don't see any such precedent possibly being set for guys who have only played 5 years. That would lessen the standards of the HOF drastically. A guy like Mike Gartner actually had a long and good career, and not just a flash in the pan.

Although most Hart Trophy winners are in the HOF, winning the Hart has never been a precedent for making it in.

Edited by GMRwings1983

5 years won't get anyone into the HOF. You must play a decent amount of time, and as I've said before, there's just no way a player who has 5 years under his belt can even get anywhere near consideration, regardless of Harts awarded during those few years. 5 years won't do it. You need to show that you're durable enough to play 15-20(sometimes more) seasons to get considered. Players that play for 5 seasons and retire aren't Hall Worthy.Period.

5 years won't get anyone into the HOF. You must play a decent amount of time, and as I've said before, there's just no way a player who has 5 years under his belt can even get anywhere near consideration, regardless of Harts awarded during those few years. 5 years won't do it. You need to show that you're durable enough to play 15-20(sometimes more) seasons to get considered. Players that play for 5 seasons and retire aren't Hall Worthy.Period.

Bobby Orr only played 8 healthy seasons... 3 less years would have made no difference.

These guys are no Orr but they already have more elite seasons than many Hall of Famers... Tacking on some extra decent seasons would not make or break them for the Hall.

There are certainly career marks needed for a 'good for a long time' player, but the 'best in the world' players do not need them. I'd actually be shocked if they were not inducted.

Besides, a shortened career actually gave Neely a boost in getting in, and he was not nearly as good as ovechkin and Crosby. Imagine the nostalgia if an injury took them out of the game right now? They'd get in for sure.

Well, Henrik Sedin is a 1-time winner too. He probably won't get in.

I don't see any such precedent possibly being set for guys who have only played 5 years. That would lessen the standards of the HOF drastically. A guy like Mike Gartner actually had a long and good career, and not just a flash in the pan.

Although most Hart Trophy winners are in the HOF, winning the Hart has never been a precedent for making it in.

You think all they consider are career numbers? I believe they come into the discussion only when a guy comes up who was not league leader for any period of time.

Gartner was never a flash in the pan period. He needed incredible career points or he would never have gotten in. The committee members have shown they value peak far more than career in their voting. It's why someone like Forsberg will most likely be a first-year inductee, and someone like Andreychuk, with much greater career numbers, is not in.

A single Hart will ensure Sedin is talked about for the Hall of Fame, whereas he would be virtually ignored without it. Same thing with St. Louis.

Finally, who would you rather have - Gartner for 20 years or Ovechkin for 5?

Edited by egroen

You think all they consider are career numbers? I believe they come into the discussion only when a guy comes up who was not league leader for any period of time.

Gartner was never a flash in the pan period. He needed incredible career points or he would never have gotten in. The committee members have shown they value peak far more than career in their voting. It's why someone like Forsberg will most likely be a first-year inductee, and someone like Andreychuk, with much greater career numbers, is not in.

A single Hart will ensure Sedin is talked about for the Hall of Fame, whereas he would be virtually ignored without it. Same thing with St. Louis.

Finally, who would you rather have - Gartner for 20 years or Ovechkin for 5?

Andreychuk will get into the Hall of Fame. Too many goals and points not too, especially with Dino getting in being a similar player.

I know it'll never happen, but Homer should be a HOF Lock. Did most of the people listed as locks draw more constant day in and day out attention from every team we faced then he did? Did any of them pay the price he did to do it? If you want to pick a guy who had more effect on his team's game and was recognized for that by every opponent we faced you'd be hard pressed. There is no doubt he should be a lock, and there is no doubt he'll never get it.

As much as I love Osgood, I really don't think he will get in. It is the hall of fame. It is for the best of the best. Osgood was a very consistent goaltender who did well with what he had. He was never the best of his class any year, he never won an individual award, and he never was considered the best on his team (save perhaps the 09 playoffs).

I would love to see him get in, but I really don't think he will or should.

Not to derail the original topic... but if Babcock retired today would he be a lock? I would say yes.

OK, he's not a player. But I don't see it as derailing as he's still coaching in the NHL. But I'd have to say no because to me a lock means he's already earned it. I don't think Babcock has earned it yet. But he definitely could get there.

OK, he's not a player. But I don't see it as derailing as he's still coaching in the NHL. But I'd have to say no because to me a lock means he's already earned it. I don't think Babcock has earned it yet. But he definitely could get there.

Hes the only coach ever to win a gold medal at the WC, Olympics, and the Stanley Cup, hes gone to the SCF 3 times, and hes done it only in 7 seasons.

Hes the only coach ever to win a gold medal at the WC, Olympics, and the Stanley Cup, hes gone to the SCF 3 times, and hes done it only in 7 seasons.

Exactly, he's only coached 7 seasons. There have been so many great athletes across all the sports who clearly have HOF talent and aren't in because they didn't do it long enough. And I did say he's on the way there, he just needs to do it longer.