• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

What Current NHL Players are Locks for the Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Andreychuk will get into the Hall of Fame. Too many goals and points not too, especially with Dino getting in being a similar player.

But those guys (accumulators) will always have to wait, if they ever do get in. For instance Andreychuk finished 9th once in the league for points, and that was his best. He never earned a post-season all-star team nod, and was never considered a top player in the league.

He has almost 500 more points than Forsberg, but I guarantee Forsberg does not have to wait nearly as long (and will probably get in before), simply because Forsberg's prime was at another level - he earned a Hart and was considered the best player in the world for a time.

Forsberg only has 6 or 7 seasons where he was relevant... A few extra injury-plagued seasons, where he still managed 50-60 points is not what is getting him in the Hall.

Edited by egroen

As much as I love Osgood, I really don't think he will get in. It is the hall of fame. It is for the best of the best. Osgood was a very consistent goaltender who did well with what he had. He was never the best of his class any year, he never won an individual award, and he never was considered the best on his team (save perhaps the 09 playoffs).

I would love to see him get in, but I really don't think he will or should.

The bar for goalies is significantly higher than it is for skaters. Osgood could get in, after a wait, but there are still some better goalies waiting (like Vachon).

Edited by egroen

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.

so what you are saying is that two players with on avg 100 pts a year for five years wouldn't make it in? Plus one of those guys having 4 50(+) goal seasons wouldn't get in? A calder trophy winner with two Hart trophies 4 (i think) all star game appearences wouldn't get in? Ovechkin is 4 games shy of 400 and has over a pt a game. There is no way he'd be denied if he had a career ending injury

As much as I love Osgood, I really don't think he will get in. It is the hall of fame. It is for the best of the best. Osgood was a very consistent goaltender who did well with what he had. He was never the best of his class any year, he never won an individual award, and he never was considered the best on his team (save perhaps the 09 playoffs).

I would love to see him get in, but I really don't think he will or should.

I agree. A large number of fellow Wings fans always seem to think he's a lock, but the reality is that he's borderline at best, and if he does get in, it will be years off. A good, reliable goalie with a good postseason track record, but was never a Vezina finalist, and earned most of his playoff wins with the most dominant franchise of the last two decades.

It's alright though, he'll always be a legend in Motown. :cool:

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think Cujo belongs in the HoF either.

Edited by F2B&G

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Doubt many will agree, but I think at least one of Lecaliver, Richards, and St. Louis will get in if any of them win one more cup and have a few more monster seasons.

I agree. A large number of fellow Wings fans always seem to think he's a lock, but the reality is that he's borderline at best, and if he does get in, it will be years off. A good, reliable goalie with a good postseason track record, but was never a Vezina finalist, and earned most of his playoff wins with the most dominant franchise of the last two decades.

It's alright though, he'll always be a legend in Motown. :cool:

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think Cujo belongs in the HoF either.

Though Osgood was the runner up in 96.

If the Wings had won game 7 in 09 he is literally a lock... As he most likely wins the Conn Smythe as well.

no love for douggie weight?

I think he's been mentioned, but what argument is there for him really? he does have over 1,000pts, but you can't start putting everyone in that hits that mark. He's way below a ppg on his career, he's only ever finished in the top 10 in scoring once (8th), his career best is 26 goals, he only had 276 goals on his career, no awards, etc., etc.

I think you've got them covered as far as retiring right now. Guerin maybe, but that will depend on his next few seasons- and you did specify that we are discussing the here-and-now. That's the only other one who popped into my head.

What argument would there be for Guerin? His career best is less than 70pts I think. Even if he gets to 500 goals, which I think he has about a 0.1% chance of doing, I don't think he has a shot. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Guerin is going to be playing this season.

I think for Osgood to get into the Hall one other former Wing has to get in before him and thats Mike Vernon. I personally don't think Cujo belongs in the Hall just because of his win totals but Vernon has the hardware and is usually considerered but not voted in yet. Vernon gets in Osgood will get in eventually in a weak year.

I think it's going to be tough for Ozzie to get in because of the media's view of him. I think it's a joke that they continually call him a product of the Wings system, which I'm sure is partly true. They conveniently ignore him backstopping the Isles to a playoff birth as well as the Blues. He's been a winner everywhere he's been.

I think it's going to be tough for Ozzie to get in because of the media's view of him. I think it's a joke that they continually call him a product of the Wings system, which I'm sure is partly true. They conveniently ignore him backstopping the Isles to a playoff birth as well as the Blues. He's been a winner everywhere he's been.

I have a hard time supporting him. He was so promising as a kid, but every time we handed him the job he flamed out. He gave up so many soft goals past the blue line other teams started shooting it regularly, and sadly it worked too much for them to stop. His best playoffs seemed to be when nothing was expected of him. I just don't see it as a HOF career. I like him and I'll be happy if he gets in because he's a good guy and a good Wing, but even if he does I won't think he really deserved to be in the HOF.

What argument would there be for Guerin? His career best is less than 70pts I think. Even if he gets to 500 goals, which I think he has about a 0.1% chance of doing, I don't think he has a shot. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Guerin is going to be playing this season.

I don't think Guerin will actually get in. I was just thinking of who was still playing that might be in contention other than the ones GMR listed. I was pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

But since you asked... the things that made me think of him are:

First Latino in the NHL

Only player with 20 goal seasons with 7 different teams

Stanley Cups, Olympic Silver, World Cup, and all-star appearances (2000-1 MVP) plus having been a captain (albeit for only 2 years)

In short, he's not HOF material, but he sure did have a better career than a lot of guys.

I don't think Guerin will actually get in. I was just thinking of who was still playing that might be in contention other than the ones GMR listed. I was pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

But since you asked... the things that made me think of him are:

First Latino in the NHL

Only player with 20 goal seasons with 7 different teams

Stanley Cups, Olympic Silver, World Cup, and all-star appearances (2000-1 MVP) plus having been a captain (albeit for only 2 years)

In short, he's not HOF material, but he sure did have a better career than a lot of guys.

:blink:

Guerin is Latino?

As of February 10th, Osgood was tied for the active lead in shutouts with Roberto Luongo at 50. Osgood is about to clear 400 wins as well. Hall of Fame is a mark Osgood is going to clear this season.

The problem is there are so many others ahead of him and not in yet. Skaters and goalies.

You know Belfour is going to have to wait, and he is a given... Then you've got Vachon, Barrasso, Vernon plus a lot of skaters waiting. If osgood gets in, I think he waits a long time.

As of February 10th, Osgood was tied for the active lead in shutouts with Roberto Luongo at 50. Osgood is about to clear 400 wins as well. Hall of Fame is a mark Osgood is going to clear this season.

You know, I'm not sure I'd vote for Osgood, at least not initially, there are far too many other guys ahead of him, as others have stated. And honestly, I just don't see him as a Hall of Fame guy, I don't know why, but I've just never seen him as being one of the best goalies of his generation. I'm thinking a lot of the voters may feel the same way.

Joseph has far more wins than Osgood and Joesph also has 51 shutouts and I don't think he's going to get in. I know Osgood has the cups, but I wonder how much value voters will place on those, considering the teams he was playing for (i.e. they would consider whether he had to carry a team to the cup or not).

You know, I'm not sure I'd vote for Osgood, at least not initially, there are far too many other guys ahead of him, as others have stated. And honestly, I just don't see him as a Hall of Fame guy, I don't know why, but I've just never seen him as being one of the best goalies of his generation. I'm thinking a lot of the voters may feel the same way.

Joseph has far more wins than Osgood and Joesph also has 51 shutouts and I don't think he's going to get in. I know Osgood has the cups, but I wonder how much value voters will place on those, considering the teams he was playing for (i.e. they would consider whether he had to carry a team to the cup or not).

The retired Joseph might make it into the HoF while Osgood is still playing in the NHL.

But Osgood is more deserving than Joseph. And this coming season could especially play into that if Osgood does well.