Photo
- - - - -

What Current NHL Players are Locks for the Hall of Fame?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Petrafire

Petrafire

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

1. Lidstrom
2. Brodeur
3. Recchi
4. Modano
5. Selanne
6. Pronger
7. Weight
8. Kariya
9. Alfredsson
10. Kovalev
11. Joe Thornton
12. Jarome Iginla
13. Owen Nolan

#22 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Guys who would get in now

Lidstrom
Brodeur
Pronger
Selanne
Modano
Recchi
Osgood?
Iginla?

Guys I don't think would get in now

Thornton
Kariya
Kovalev
Alfredsson
Tkachuk
Foote
Weight

Osgood's playoff numbers and regular season numbers, combined with two Cup wins as a starter, make it awfully hard to keep him out. If Cujo gets in, and I surmise he will on the second or third ballot, Osgood has to be a lock.

Of the players who have actually stopped playing last year, Niedermayer is a lock and Blake is a probable. Tkachuk and Brind'Amour may eventually get in, but I'd take Brind'Amour first.

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Crosby and Ovechkin are not hall of famers at this point in their careers. Are they on the right track?yes. Would they be hall of famers if they both retired tomorrow?No. Calling them hall of famers at this point is a bit early, to me. Gotta put up at least 1,000 points and there are/will be guys who score 1,000 points and still not get in (Keith Tkachuk). What about Rafalski? He's on the fence for me. Won Stanley Cups with both New Jersey and us..
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

What about Rafalski? He's on the fence for me.

Posted Image
*this space for rent*

#25 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

If Ovechkin and Crosby both had career ending injuries tomorrow they would get in the Hall. Both of them have already done more than say, Lindros, who will probably make it in. 2 Harts is a lock for Ovechkin and while Crosby only has one, a Cup and Olympic gold gets him in no question.

Edited by egroen, 07 August 2010 - 05:42 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#26 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

id say pretty good list GMR. Iggy no. Um Oz has the credentials but it will be the voters perception of him that will keep him out, that's why Oz needs to get another cup as a starter and add a bit to his career numbers. That would make it hard for even the most biased of voter to say no.

Chris Osgood is 10th in wins with 396, has 24th in shutouts with 50, and of goalies who have played 75 games he is 30th in GAA and 52nd in sv%.
He's 8th in playoff wins with 74, 4th in shutouts with 15, and of goaltenders who have won at least 8 postseason wins, he is 17th in GAA and 16th in sv%.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#27 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Chris Osgood is 10th in wins with 396, has 24th in shutouts with 50, and of goalies who have played 75 games he is 30th in GAA and 52nd in sv%.
He's 8th in playoff wins with 74, 4th in shutouts with 15, and of goaltenders who have won at least 8 postseason wins, he is 17th in GAA and 16th in sv%.

Hall of Fame players typically do (at least) one thing very well that makes them stand out from the crowd. Osgood is vanilla.

Not one of those stats individually impress me. Best he's done in his career is 4th, regardless of team achievements. As a whole, they don't seem equivalent of a Hall of Fame Player.

No way he gets the nod in my opinion.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#28 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Yea I think he has the numbers now but.....

Hall of Fame players typically do (at least) one thing very well that makes them stand out from the crowd. Osgood is vanilla.

Not one of those stats individually impress me. Best he's done in his career is 4th, regardless of team achievements. As a whole, they don't seem equivalent of a Hall of Fame Player.

It is this view of oz that will keep him out.

no love for turco it seems!

And technically peter "the foot" forsberg isn't retired don't know if he'll make it in......:P (sarcasm)

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

1994-95: Osgood was 17th in wins as a backup, 3rd in GAA, 16th in SO, 2nd in sv%.
1995-96: Osgood led the league in GAA, Wins, and Winning % in 1995-96, 3rd in SO, and 8th in sv%.
1996-97: Osgood was 13th in wins with 23, 4th in SO with 6, 13th in sv%, 6th in GAA.

Osgood may not be a big name goalie, but he's a winner.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Osgood is a Hall-Of Famer, in my mind. He's got 3 Cups. He's ranked up there in all-time wins. Simple as that.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Brett lebda...... Oh nevermind I thought this was for the hall of lame

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

What about Khabibulin?

If Ozzie is a question mark, Khabibulin is a no. One Cup isn't enough to get him in. He's had a good career, but not a Hall of Fame career.

Crosby and Ovechkin are not hall of famers at this point in their careers. Are they on the right track?yes. Would they be hall of famers if they both retired tomorrow?No. Calling them hall of famers at this point is a bit early, to me. Gotta put up at least 1,000 points and there are/will be guys who score 1,000 points and still not get in (Keith Tkachuk). What about Rafalski? He's on the fence for me. Won Stanley Cups with both New Jersey and us..

Were you anticipating egroen's post before he made it? :D

If Ovechkin and Crosby both had career ending injuries tomorrow they would get in the Hall. Both of them have already done more than say, Lindros, who will probably make it in. 2 Harts is a lock for Ovechkin and while Crosby only has one, a Cup and Olympic gold gets him in no question.

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

No way Lindros gets in. Scored less than 1,000 points. Just because a guy has a few good seasons, doesn't mean he's a Hall-Of-Famer.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

No way Lindros gets in. Scored less than 1,000 points. Just because a guy has a few good seasons, doesn't mean he's a Hall-Of-Famer.

A few good seasons for me is what, 80-70-80 points in consecutive years or something. Lindros was crazy back in the day. I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but come on, give some credit where credit is due...

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

A few good seasons for me is what, 80-70-80 points in consecutive years or something. Lindros was crazy back in the day. I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but come on, give some credit where credit is due...

There are no guys I mentioned that have only had a few good seasons. All those players have been good for quite some time.

Don't know why everyone is discussing Lindros, since this thread wasn't about him nor did I ever mention him. I was talking about current NHL players only.

Lindros isn't even a good comparison, since he's not in the HOF yet, especially since the last few classes have been too stacked for him to get in.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 August 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#36 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.

it would be unprecedented to keep a 2-time Hart winner out. Almost all 1-time winners are in.

These guys are not Mike Gartner, relying on years of accumulation to get in while never leading the league in anything; they have been universally acknowledged as the two best hockey players in the world for a significant stretch of time.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

it would be unprecedented to keep a 2-time Hart winner out. Almost all 1-time winners are in.

These guys are not Mike Gartner, relying on years of accumulation to get in while never leading the league in anything; they have been universally acknowledged as the two best hockey players in the world for a significant stretch of time.

Well, Henrik Sedin is a 1-time winner too. He probably won't get in.

I don't see any such precedent possibly being set for guys who have only played 5 years. That would lessen the standards of the HOF drastically. A guy like Mike Gartner actually had a long and good career, and not just a flash in the pan.

Although most Hart Trophy winners are in the HOF, winning the Hart has never been a precedent for making it in.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 August 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

5 years won't get anyone into the HOF. You must play a decent amount of time, and as I've said before, there's just no way a player who has 5 years under his belt can even get anywhere near consideration, regardless of Harts awarded during those few years. 5 years won't do it. You need to show that you're durable enough to play 15-20(sometimes more) seasons to get considered. Players that play for 5 seasons and retire aren't Hall Worthy.Period.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

5 years won't get anyone into the HOF. You must play a decent amount of time, and as I've said before, there's just no way a player who has 5 years under his belt can even get anywhere near consideration, regardless of Harts awarded during those few years. 5 years won't do it. You need to show that you're durable enough to play 15-20(sometimes more) seasons to get considered. Players that play for 5 seasons and retire aren't Hall Worthy.Period.

Bobby Orr only played 8 healthy seasons... 3 less years would have made no difference.

These guys are no Orr but they already have more elite seasons than many Hall of Famers... Tacking on some extra decent seasons would not make or break them for the Hall.

There are certainly career marks needed for a 'good for a long time' player, but the 'best in the world' players do not need them. I'd actually be shocked if they were not inducted.

Besides, a shortened career actually gave Neely a boost in getting in, and he was not nearly as good as ovechkin and Crosby. Imagine the nostalgia if an injury took them out of the game right now? They'd get in for sure.

#40 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Well, Henrik Sedin is a 1-time winner too. He probably won't get in.

I don't see any such precedent possibly being set for guys who have only played 5 years. That would lessen the standards of the HOF drastically. A guy like Mike Gartner actually had a long and good career, and not just a flash in the pan.

Although most Hart Trophy winners are in the HOF, winning the Hart has never been a precedent for making it in.

You think all they consider are career numbers? I believe they come into the discussion only when a guy comes up who was not league leader for any period of time.

Gartner was never a flash in the pan period. He needed incredible career points or he would never have gotten in. The committee members have shown they value peak far more than career in their voting. It's why someone like Forsberg will most likely be a first-year inductee, and someone like Andreychuk, with much greater career numbers, is not in.

A single Hart will ensure Sedin is talked about for the Hall of Fame, whereas he would be virtually ignored without it. Same thing with St. Louis.

Finally, who would you rather have - Gartner for 20 years or Ovechkin for 5?

Edited by egroen, 07 August 2010 - 11:16 PM.