Photo
- - - - -

What Current NHL Players are Locks for the Hall of Fame?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

Brett Lebda

in a class with alexandre daigle and pat faloon, and red light racicot in goal. after the past 2 seasons, darryl sutter is a lock for the builder category.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#42 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

You think all they consider are career numbers? I believe they come into the discussion only when a guy comes up who was not league leader for any period of time.

Gartner was never a flash in the pan period. He needed incredible career points or he would never have gotten in. The committee members have shown they value peak far more than career in their voting. It's why someone like Forsberg will most likely be a first-year inductee, and someone like Andreychuk, with much greater career numbers, is not in.

A single Hart will ensure Sedin is talked about for the Hall of Fame, whereas he would be virtually ignored without it. Same thing with St. Louis.

Finally, who would you rather have - Gartner for 20 years or Ovechkin for 5?

Andreychuk will get into the Hall of Fame. Too many goals and points not too, especially with Dino getting in being a similar player.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#43 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:41 AM

Finger

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

chelios is definately going in the hall first ballot.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#45 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

I know it'll never happen, but Homer should be a HOF Lock. Did most of the people listed as locks draw more constant day in and day out attention from every team we faced then he did? Did any of them pay the price he did to do it? If you want to pick a guy who had more effect on his team's game and was recognized for that by every opponent we faced you'd be hard pressed. There is no doubt he should be a lock, and there is no doubt he'll never get it.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#46 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Not to derail the original topic... but if Babcock retired today would he be a lock? I would say yes.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#47 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

As much as I love Osgood, I really don't think he will get in. It is the hall of fame. It is for the best of the best. Osgood was a very consistent goaltender who did well with what he had. He was never the best of his class any year, he never won an individual award, and he never was considered the best on his team (save perhaps the 09 playoffs).

I would love to see him get in, but I really don't think he will or should.

Posted Image

#48 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Not to derail the original topic... but if Babcock retired today would he be a lock? I would say yes.

OK, he's not a player. But I don't see it as derailing as he's still coaching in the NHL. But I'd have to say no because to me a lock means he's already earned it. I don't think Babcock has earned it yet. But he definitely could get there.

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

#49 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

OK, he's not a player. But I don't see it as derailing as he's still coaching in the NHL. But I'd have to say no because to me a lock means he's already earned it. I don't think Babcock has earned it yet. But he definitely could get there.

Hes the only coach ever to win a gold medal at the WC, Olympics, and the Stanley Cup, hes gone to the SCF 3 times, and hes done it only in 7 seasons.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#50 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hes the only coach ever to win a gold medal at the WC, Olympics, and the Stanley Cup, hes gone to the SCF 3 times, and hes done it only in 7 seasons.

To some, 7 seasons isn't enough to earn a spot in the Hall.
*this space for rent*

#51 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Exactly, he's only coached 7 seasons. There have been so many great athletes across all the sports who clearly have HOF talent and aren't in because they didn't do it long enough. And I did say he's on the way there, he just needs to do it longer.

#52 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Andreychuk will get into the Hall of Fame. Too many goals and points not too, especially with Dino getting in being a similar player.

But those guys (accumulators) will always have to wait, if they ever do get in. For instance Andreychuk finished 9th once in the league for points, and that was his best. He never earned a post-season all-star team nod, and was never considered a top player in the league.

He has almost 500 more points than Forsberg, but I guarantee Forsberg does not have to wait nearly as long (and will probably get in before), simply because Forsberg's prime was at another level - he earned a Hart and was considered the best player in the world for a time.

Forsberg only has 6 or 7 seasons where he was relevant... A few extra injury-plagued seasons, where he still managed 50-60 points is not what is getting him in the Hall.

Edited by egroen, 08 August 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#53 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

As much as I love Osgood, I really don't think he will get in. It is the hall of fame. It is for the best of the best. Osgood was a very consistent goaltender who did well with what he had. He was never the best of his class any year, he never won an individual award, and he never was considered the best on his team (save perhaps the 09 playoffs).

The bar for goalies is significantly higher than it is for skaters. Osgood could get in, after a wait, but there are still some better goalies waiting (like Vachon).

Edited by egroen, 09 August 2010 - 07:20 AM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#54 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

No they wouldn't. They've both played like 5 years, which would be way less than Lindros played. Same with Cam Neely.

That would be too unprecedented to get them in after such a short time.

so what you are saying is that two players with on avg 100 pts a year for five years wouldn't make it in? Plus one of those guys having 4 50(+) goal seasons wouldn't get in? A calder trophy winner with two Hart trophies 4 (i think) all star game appearences wouldn't get in? Ovechkin is 4 games shy of 400 and has over a pt a game. There is no way he'd be denied if he had a career ending injury

#55 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

I agree. A large number of fellow Wings fans always seem to think he's a lock, but the reality is that he's borderline at best, and if he does get in, it will be years off. A good, reliable goalie with a good postseason track record, but was never a Vezina finalist, and earned most of his playoff wins with the most dominant franchise of the last two decades.

It's alright though, he'll always be a legend in Motown. :cool:

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think Cujo belongs in the HoF either.

Edited by F2B&G, 08 August 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#56 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

Doubt many will agree, but I think at least one of Lecaliver, Richards, and St. Louis will get in if any of them win one more cup and have a few more monster seasons.

#57 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

I agree. A large number of fellow Wings fans always seem to think he's a lock, but the reality is that he's borderline at best, and if he does get in, it will be years off. A good, reliable goalie with a good postseason track record, but was never a Vezina finalist, and earned most of his playoff wins with the most dominant franchise of the last two decades.

It's alright though, he'll always be a legend in Motown. :cool:

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think Cujo belongs in the HoF either.

Though Osgood was the runner up in 96.
If the Wings had won game 7 in 09 he is literally a lock... As he most likely wins the Conn Smythe as well.

#58 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

no love for douggie weight?

#59 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

no love for douggie weight?

I think he's been mentioned, but what argument is there for him really? he does have over 1,000pts, but you can't start putting everyone in that hits that mark. He's way below a ppg on his career, he's only ever finished in the top 10 in scoring once (8th), his career best is 26 goals, he only had 276 goals on his career, no awards, etc., etc.

#60 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

I think you've got them covered as far as retiring right now. Guerin maybe, but that will depend on his next few seasons- and you did specify that we are discussing the here-and-now. That's the only other one who popped into my head.

What argument would there be for Guerin? His career best is less than 70pts I think. Even if he gets to 500 goals, which I think he has about a 0.1% chance of doing, I don't think he has a shot. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Guerin is going to be playing this season.