• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

I hope this generates some good debate. A lot of these were slam dunks, but others were close. I had a hard time especially with Vancouver, Anaheim, Buffalo and Chicago.

Ducks - Scott Niedermayer
Thrashers - Scott Mellanby
Bruins - Ray Bourque
Sabres - Pat LaFontaine
Flames - Jarome Iginla
Hurricanes - Ron Francis
Blackhawks - Pierre Pilote
Avalanche - Joe Sakic
Blue Jackets - Adam Foote
Stars - Derian Hatcher
Red Wings - Steve Yzerman
Oilers - Wayne Gretzky
Panthers - Brian Skrudland
Kings - Wayne Gretzky
Wild - Mikko Koivu (they finally made up their minds :clap: )
Canadiens - Jean Beliveau
Predators - Greg Johnson ( :lol: sad but true)
Devils - Scott Stevens
Islanders - Denis Potvin (edging out Yashin :P)
Rangers - Mark Messier
Senators - Daniel Alfredsson
Flyers - Bobby Clarke
Penguins - Mario Lemieux
Coyotes - Shane Doan
Sharks - Owen Nolan
Blues - Brian Sutter
Lightning - Dave Andreychuk
Leafs - George Armstrong
Canucks - Trevor Linden
Capitals - Dale Hunter

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 August 2010 - 12:37 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Stars - Derian Hatcher Mike Modano
Leafs - George Armstrong Doug Gilmour

Only two I disagreed with. Although, there were quite a few players I didn't even recognize their names.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Only two I disagreed with. Although, there were quite a few players I didn't even recognize their names.

Armstrong captained the Leafs during their best ever years and was a great leader for them. Gilmour wasn't even the best Captain of the last 20 years for them, with Sundin and Wendel Clark being ahead of him. He captained them nowhere. Don't see how you can make that call.

As for Modano, he was only a captain for like a year or so, while Hatcher was the captain for a long time, on a team full of veteran players like Carbonneau, Hull, Zubov, Skrudland and Modano. The fact that he was captain instead of those guys shows a little about his leadership skills and what his teammates thought of him. If Modano was a good captain, he wouldn't have been stripped of it for Brenden Morrow after such a short time.

However, if you agree with me on everything else, then I shouldn't be complaining. I've never met anyone who can agree with me on 28 out of 30 things. :hehe:

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#4 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Armstrong captained the Leafs during their best ever years and was a great leader for them. Gilmour wasn't even the best Captain of the last 20 years for them, with Sundin and Wendel Clark being ahead of him. He captained them nowhere. Don't see how you can make that call.

As for Modano, he was only a captain for like a year or so, while Hatcher was the captain for a long time, on a team full of veteran players like Carbonneau, Hull, Zubov, Skrudland and Modano. The fact that he was captain instead of those guys shows a little about his leadership skills and what his teammates thought of him. If Modano was a good captain, he wouldn't have been stripped of it for Brenden Morrow after such a short time.

However, if you agree with me on everything else, then I shouldn't be complaining. I've never met anyone who can agree with me on 28 out of 30 things. :hehe:

So your argument for Sundin being a better captain is that he led the leafs somewhere? :blink:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#5 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Penguins - Mario Lemieux

Its Crosby, no one embodies the douchebaggery of the Pens like he does, Lemieux before he let the boy wonder bunk bed in his house was a class act, which does not fit the city, the team or the fan base.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#6 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Its Crosby, no one embodies the douchebaggery of the Pens like he does, Lemieux before he let the boy wonder bunk bed in his house was a class act, which does not fit the city, the team or the fan base.

Well damn, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

So your argument for Sundin being a better captain is that he led the leafs somewhere? :blink:

No, but the teams he played on weren't as good as some of those Leafs teams Gilmour had, with few exceptions. I just think Sundin was a better captain than him and did more with less, especially in later years in Toronto.

In any case, Armstrong has to be the best Leafs captain ever, even if people remember Gilmour or Clark more nowadays. I was talking about all-time Captains and not say the last 20 years or so.

#8 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

No, but the teams he played on weren't as good as some of those Leafs teams Gilmour had, with few exceptions. I just think Sundin was a better captain than him and did more with less, especially in later years in Toronto.

In any case, Armstrong has to be the best Leafs captain ever, even if people remember Gilmour or Clark more nowadays. I was talking about all-time Captains and not say the last 20 years or so.

Sundin was never a leader in my eyes. Gilmour had the fire to be a leader.

In 02 when the leafs had that run to the confrence finals, they did so without Sundin, once he returned they played like s***. I've just always seen Sundin as a good player but not a great captain

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#9 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Good list. I'd put Crosby ahead of Lemieux. Lemieux was a great player and a decent leader, but Crosby. The DB torch burns brightest with him as someone else mentioned. Plus I think Crosby will prove to be a better, all around player by the time it's said and done.

Posted Image

#10 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Plus I think Crosby will prove to be a better, all around player by the time it's said and done.

:scared: Better than Lemieux?!

I may be wrong, but before coming out of retirement, didn't Lemieux have the best points per game average in NHL history? Lemieux was pure class. Crosby will never compare in any sense.

Also, Crosby made the Penguins and their fans douches - the franchise was fine before he got there.

Edited by Zetts, 08 August 2010 - 04:14 PM.

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

And to add to your argument, Gilmour wasn't even the Leafs Captain when they went to the WCF in 1993 and 1994, it was Clark. Dougie was Captain after Clark was traded before the 1995 lockout shortened season, and only wore the C until he was traded to NJ at the 1997 deadline.

I think Armstrong is a no-brainer!

Edit: Great list GMRwings1983, no arguments or disagreements from me at all!

Edited by Barrie, 08 August 2010 - 04:23 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Good list. I'd put Crosby ahead of Lemieux. Lemieux was a great player and a decent leader, but Crosby. The DB torch burns brightest with him as someone else mentioned. Plus I think Crosby will prove to be a better, all around player by the time it's said and done.

I say "No" to both points here. Lemieux is ahead of Sakic and Yzerman on the all-time greatest list. Crosby is no where near Sakic and Yzerman territory.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#13 wally42

wally42

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

Ducks - Paul Kariya
Sabres - michael peca
Blackhawks - Chris Chelios
Avalanche - Joe Sakic
Blue Jackets - Rick nash
Canadiens - Maurice Richard
Blues - Chris Pronger

#14 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

I say "No" to both points here. Lemieux is ahead of Sakic and Yzerman on the all-time greatest list. Crosby is no where near Sakic and Yzerman territory.

Not yet but he's off to a pretty good start. I'm projecting in the case of Crosby. He's managed to improve an area of his game pretty much every season. People like to compare present day Crosby to Legends like it could ever be a fair comparison. Given time, there's really no reason to believe that he won't eclipse Sakic and Yzerman someday. It's not like their numbers and achievements are THAT untouchable.

#15 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Maybe I don't follow hockey close enough or know enough about it, but how can we as fans even gauge something like this? We really barely know anything if anything at all about how these guys run their team or are as people. I mean what criteria are we looking at? I couldn't even tell you the difference between Yzerman and Lidstrom as captains.

This is a serious question, I just dont know how you guys are coming up with these lists. Again, maybe some people just do more homework than I do. All I know is what I see from watching games and highlight reels, which tells me nothing about how good of a captain someone is.

#16 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Maybe I don't follow hockey close enough or know enough about it, but how can we as fans even gauge something like this? We really barely know anything if anything at all about how these guys run their team or are as people. I mean what criteria are we looking at? I couldn't even tell you the difference between Yzerman and Lidstrom as captains.

This is a serious question, I just dont know how you guys are coming up with these lists. Again, maybe some people just do more homework than I do. All I know is what I see from watching games and highlight reels, which tells me nothing about how good of a captain someone is.

Just like any other 'Best of' list. A glorified popularity contest. :)

#17 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Sundin was never a leader in my eyes. Gilmour had the fire to be a leader.

In 02 when the leafs had that run to the confrence finals, they did so without Sundin, once he returned they played like s***. I've just always seen Sundin as a good player but not a great captain

Any Swede will disagree with you with a passion. Might just be a national team thing though. Can't say I followed the Leafs enough to make an argument based on that.

#18 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

Not yet but he's off to a pretty good start. I'm projecting in the case of Crosby. He's managed to improve an area of his game pretty much every season. People like to compare present day Crosby to Legends like it could ever be a fair comparison. Given time, there's really no reason to believe that he won't eclipse Sakic and Yzerman someday. It's not like their numbers and achievements are THAT untouchable.

and he's got a lot of growing up to do too.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#19 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

and he's got a lot of growing up to do too.

For sure. That's one area where he seems to be starting off in the hole.

#20 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Sorry but Crosby not even close to Lemieux but for my money the best is still Stevie Y. I may be a little one sited but that my two cents.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image