• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

luvmnger

#24 should be retired? But to who?

Rate this topic

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i guess i am on the fence with this....i grew up watching probert beat some wholesale ass for stevie and the gang....but chelios has given a decade and his loyalties to detroit.

so if the #24 goes up in the rafters...who do you think should it be?

I like both of them as players, and really respect what they've done for the franchise, but I wouldn't retire the # for either of them...

It opens up the gates for a lot of other players who deserve it more than the two of them (Homer, Draper, Maltby, Osgood, Lidstrom, McCarty, Feds, etc...). IMO it should be reserved as an honor for only the elite (Lidstrom). Though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to something memorializing Probert at JLA.

I loved watching Probert play but Chelios is going to be a hall of fame player were Pobie isn't even close so if it is it sould be Chelis for sure! Maybe the right thing is don't hang it from rafters just don't ever hand out again.

Edited by blgillett

I loved watching Probert play but Chelios is going to be a hall of fame player were Pobie isn't even close so if it is it sould be Chelis for sure! Maybe the right thing is don't hang it from rafters just don't ever hand out again.

I don't see how either player made such a big impact as to have the number 24 taken out of circulation, imo.

Yea, Probert was one of the greatest heavyweights to ever lace them up and provided massive entertainment value. But that's not worthy of taking the number out of circulation.

Chelios bandwagon jumped onto a hated rival, played solid D and tutored a few players. Again... not even close to being worthy of having the number removed.

Just my opinion though.

Neither. No reason #24 should be retired, imo.

Exactly.

If you look at the 6 numbers that are up there, is there any way that Probert or Chelios can compare? I know one was a fan favorite, and I know that another played with us for 10 years. They had their ups and downs, and are beloved members of the Red Wings alumni, but neither had the kind of exemplary career that would warrant a number retirement. Had Cheli been drafted by the Wings, and played his entire career here, you *might* have an argument for his number, but that isn't the case, so it's a moot point.

IMO, the current standard seems to be the best, and that is the standard that Yzerman set. I realize that that might be setting the bar a bit high, but isn't that kind of the point? Number retirement is the highest honor the Red Wings can give to a player. If you give it to #24 (either Probert, or Cheli), doesn't that then seem to cheapen it for the other absolute legends that are already up there?

There are more Red Wings players in the Hall of Fame (49) than there are with retired numbers. IMO, that's the way it should be.

The only current or former Red Wing right now that I would even consider as being worthy of number retirement is Lidstrom.

All I'm going to say is if Red Kelly doesn't get his number retired, cheli won't. And probert definitely shouldn't have his name in the rafters, I mean I love both players to death but does it look right to have Abel, Sawchuck, Howe, Stevie, Delvechio, Chelios?, Probert?

Hit the nail on the head.

Lidstrom is the only other player I can think of right now who should have his number retired here. Nobody else has the legacy those retired players have.

Yup... even Datsyuk and Zetterberg have a long way to go before that honor is bestowed.

Neither one deserves it by a longshot. I appreciate both players, but it's the highest honor an organization can give to a player. I'd say the ones in the rafters at Joe Louis Arena right now exemplify that very well. Bob Probert and Chris Chelios... not so much.

If there is any debate, then the answer is no.

I dont know if this has anything to do with the discussion here but I wouldn't mind seeing the team wear a patch to honor probert this year, all year would be great but if they wore it and chicago did the same when they played the hawks this year I would be ok with that as well

The # its self cant see it being retired for Probert, and I dont think Chelios should have it here either I think if his number goes up it should in Chicago.

I dont know if this has anything to do with the discussion here but I wouldn't mind seeing the team wear a patch to honor probert this year, all year would be great but if they wore it and chicago did the same when they played the hawks this year I would be ok with that as well

The # its self cant see it being retired for Probert, and I dont think Chelios should have it here either I think if his number goes up it should in Chicago.

I was thinking the same thing. That would be great. I actually think it would be cool if both teams wore a patch.

No retiring #24. There are too many good players. What happens in future generations when there are even more? Think ahead, we can't be retiring so many. One or two for every exceptional generation. Yzerman and Lidstrom. MAYBE Zetterberg or Datsyuk, but even that is way too many. You just have to acknowledge their contribution in other ways instead of retiring every amazing player. Yzerman transformed the franchise, Lidstrom was its rock. Datsyuk and Zetterberg carry this team but...is that really enough? Two of the best players in the world and fan favorites, but I'm leaning towards not retiring them because they aren't necessarily transformational like Yzerman and Lidstrom were. They didn't carry the team out of the cellar.

Maybe Red Kelly's number wasn't retired because he spent a significant amount of time playing for the Leafs.

All the players the Wings have retired spent either their entire career, or almost their entire career (like say Howe) playing for the Wings.

I don't see them giving it to two players who played a long time with other franchises.

We're not the divealanche.

Maybe Red Kelly's number wasn't retired because he spent a significant amount of time playing for the Leafs.

All the players the Wings have retired spent either their entire career, or almost their entire career (like say Howe) playing for the Wings.

I don't see them giving it to two players who played a long time with other franchises.

We're not the divealanche.

Couldn't have said it better. Same reason Shanny, and Fedorov won't be retired either.

It's hard to argue the true value, both of these players brought to Detroit. This organization is what it is, because of their history. The Canadiens have a rich history too, but look at their rafters. There is so many retired numbers there. It's a little ridiculous I think. Lidstrom will be next. They need a Probert patch, and that will be plenty.