Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Neither.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

Maybe Red Kelly's number wasn't retired because he spent a significant amount of time playing for the Leafs.

All the players the Wings have retired spent either their entire career, or almost their entire career (like say Howe) playing for the Wings.

I don't see them giving it to two players who played a long time with other franchises.

We're not the divealanche.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Maybe Red Kelly's number wasn't retired because he spent a significant amount of time playing for the Leafs.

All the players the Wings have retired spent either their entire career, or almost their entire career (like say Howe) playing for the Wings.

I don't see them giving it to two players who played a long time with other franchises.

We're not the divealanche.

Couldn't have said it better. Same reason Shanny, and Fedorov won't be retired either.

#24 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

It's hard to argue the true value, both of these players brought to Detroit. This organization is what it is, because of their history. The Canadiens have a rich history too, but look at their rafters. There is so many retired numbers there. It's a little ridiculous I think. Lidstrom will be next. They need a Probert patch, and that will be plenty.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#25 heals_3000

heals_3000

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Take it out of circulation for 24 years?
IPB Image

#26 NotTooAbby

NotTooAbby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

While Probert and Cheli both wore the winged wheel with respect both kicking ass in their own respective natures, it has to be Neither. A good figher is not enough to get your numbers in the rafters. And while Cheli was great for us, IF AND WHEN CHELI gets his number retired, it will be as a HAWK not a Wing.

#27 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

It's been used twice... Why couldn't it be retired for both? (this is independent from my thought that neither are rafter worthy)

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#28 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

It's been used twice... Why couldn't it be retired for both? (this is independent from my thought that neither are rafter worthy)

It's been worn more than twice.

Calum MacKay, Gerry Reid, Al Dewsbury, Fred Glover, Bob Dillabough, Bart Crashley, Gary Doak, Pete Mahovlich, Jim Watson, Leo Bolvin, Bob McCord, Randy Manery, Brian Conacher, Ken Murray, Brent Hughes, Rick McCann, Tom Mellor, Rene Drolet, Frank Bathe, Jim Nahrgang, Greg Joly, Derek Smith, Brian Johnson, Murray Craven, Larry Trader, Pierre Aubry, Bob Probert, Chris Chelios, Brad May

http://redwings.nhl....ge.htm?id=44018

Edited by CenterIce, 08 August 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

Only player other than Lids I could see being retired is Zetterberg, and thats only if he as captain leads the team to atleast one cup (probably would take more than that, but I would say thats a minimum).
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

As much as I loved both while they were here, neither should be retired. Chelios spent his best years in Chicago and despite his one amazing playoff run, Probert was a mediocre player for the vast majority of his career. Shame though, as both were two of my favorite Red Wings.

#31 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

Take it out of circulation for 24 years?

Oh, I like that idea.
*this space for rent*

#32 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

Hm... Might as well retire Hull, Robitaille, and Hasek's numbers too while we're at it :ph34r:

#33 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

#24 shouldn't be retired. Taken out of circulation for a while, maybe. Retired? Nope. In order to get your number retired by the Wings you need to go above and beyond. Neither player did that, as beloved by the fans as they were.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#34 Reilly

Reilly

Winning debates all across LGW.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

Couldn't have said it better. Same reason Shanny, and Fedorov won't be retired either.

Fedorov is 4th all-time in Red Wings points, his number is going to get retired at some point.

#35 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Fedorov is 4th all-time in Red Wings points, his number is going to get retired at some point.

Love the idea, and if I had a vote in this matter I would be on board, but I really doubt it.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#36 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:34 AM

i would like to see the wings honor all of the roll players that either got us or helped us get to the top. examples- malts drapes mccarty vladdy...and dudes that helped us get there - coffey dino probie ...fischer? i know there is more people and that is why they honor all of them in some fashion.

... wait until they all retire next year! ...put lids up there and build them something ill.

#37 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Easy -- neither. I tried to come up with why to retire each one, and couldn't come up with enough that doesn't end up justifying an assload of other Wings. This team has had so many special players, role players who were uniquely useful to winning championships and, well, going anywhere, the standard is, to me, extremely high as to who gets retired a Wing, these days.

#38 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

I said neither.

Probert is one of the greatest enforcers to even lace them up, but is career in Detroit was slightly disappointing. Had he kept up to what the front office expected from him, he would have been on this team for atleast the 97 and 98 cups, probably 2002 as well.

Chelios on the other hand started playing for the Red Wings toward the end of his prime. He did win 2 cups, but was merely a role player for the second.

The next number that will be retired will be #5. Probably followed by #91 at some point, and maybe #14.

Love the idea, and if I had a vote in this matter I would be on board, but I really doubt it.

I can't see why not. The guys NHL resume is nearly as impressive as Yzermans, and he was a huge part of the 3 cup teams.

#39 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:34 AM

I said neither.

Probert is one of the greatest enforcers to even lace them up, but is career in Detroit was slightly disappointing. Had he kept up to what the front office expected from him, he would have been on this team for atleast the 97 and 98 cups, probably 2002 as well.

Chelios on the other hand started playing for the Red Wings toward the end of his prime. He did win 2 cups, but was merely a role player for the second.

The next number that will be retired will be #5. Probably followed by #91 at some point, and maybe #14.

I can't see why not. The guys NHL resume is nearly as impressive as Yzermans, and he was a huge part of the 3 cup teams.

Its up to ilitch and after the whole 'will he won't he' season with carolina and detroit bidding for him, I really doubt Mr I will give Feds that distinction.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#40 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:00 AM

Probert with 23% of the vote in this poll is ridiculous.

It would be the easiest game ever of "one of these things is not like the other" if they hung his jersey from the rafters.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.