• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Wings sign Ruslan Salei

Rate this topic

In October 1999, Salei was suspended by the NHL for ten games after he checked Dallas Stars center Mike Modano face first into the boards from behind. Modano suffered a slight concussion, strained ligaments in his neck, and a broken nose.

Should be interesting...

Article from NHL.com:

The Detroit Red Wings added some experience to their blue line on Monday by signing defenseman Ruslan Salei to a one-year contract. No financial terms were disclosed.

Salei, 35, was originally a first-round draft pick (No. 9) of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the 1996 Entry Draft. The Minsk, Belarus, native has appeared in 842 career games with the Ducks, Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche. He has 194 points (43 goals, 151 assists) and 1,017 penalty minutes in 13 NHL seasons.

Salei appeared in just 14 games for Colorado in 2009-10 due to a back injury, finishing the season with 1 goal and 5 assists, along with 10 PIM. Salei was the captain of Belarus at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. In four games, he registered 1 goal, was plus-2 and led the team in average ice time (22:36).

Salei previously played under current Red Wings coach Mike Babcock for two seasons in Anaheim (2002-03 and 2003-04).

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535719

Hmm, they don't say where they got this news from, though.

Someone tell me whether to feel happy or angry about this! I know the name, but not the player.

years ago people here were dying to have this guy with the wings. i guess because now he's 36 instead of 33 that has changed some opinions.

he plays with an edge and can put up some points. i think that's what most people want. but those extra few years will bring on some doubters.

Guest mindfly

35years old, early 1st rounder in 96, "abdelkader size" ~ 6'1 215lbs, 32pts career high with florida back in 06-07 (6goals)

In Kenny I trust. It cant be worse than the Williams signing. Anyways, I have always been under the impression this guy was pretty solid on the blue line.

Confirmed.

The Sports Forecaster: ASSETS: Can log a ton of ice time without issue. Is a well-liked teammate in the locker room. Displays all-around prowess. Can play a nasty game from behind the blue-line from time to time.

FLAWS: Can at times make bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone. Is also known to take a few undisciplined penalties from time to time.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Aging big-minute defenseman.

He's no Willie Mitchell, but Salei comes cheaply due to his back injury last season and the 35-year-old can play big minutes, play on the PK, and he's mean, mean, mean.

Also, Babs coached him for two years back in the Anaheim days.

Edited by cjm502