• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Wings sign Ruslan Salei

Rate this topic

I heard the upcoming draft actually isn't all that good from someone on here at LGW.

on hfboards people were saying it's one of the worst in decades, not that I know

If Salei remains healthy you all will be happy with his play

Edited by ben_usmc

on hfboards people were saying it's one of the worst in decades, not that I know

If Salei remains healthy you all will be happy with his play

1-20 its one of the worst in 10 years, but I heard its pretty deep 20-50.

Guest mindfly

Well boys, I think we should get ready for another season with a good chance of going all the way, Yes I'm serious.

Rested...Motivated..Deep... Oh yes.

Edited by mindfly

Adam Larsson will go 1st overall...like Erik Johnson did in 2006.

HArd to say yet. Pulkkinen and Kabanov were supposed to be giving Hall a run for his money and Seguin wasn't on the map this time last year.

Courtier is going to give Larson all he can handle to be taken first overall

Well boys, I think we should get ready for another season with a good chance of going all the way, Yes I'm serious.

Rested...Motivated..Deep... Oh yes.

Is that positive energy I sense?

Something's up with you, man. What is it? You're now the love slave of Victoria Silvstedt or Elin Grindemyr?

Guest mindfly

Nah it's just there's alot of positives from this offseason and in hindsight i'm sort of glad, in a way, that detroit finished early after all the long runs... i expect lots of good things this season...

I'll probably be closer to the real mindfly ( :hehe: ) when they're on a 4game losing streak and play below their potential :cool:

Wondered what happend to Elin... she just disappeared :ph34r:

Edited by mindfly

will s***. just when i thought the Wings were getting younger, they add Modano at 40 (who I can live with), and Salei at 35. Not all that impressed, but hey im no GM.

Both of those guys are only signed to one year deals. Its not like they got multiple year deals that will keep the Wings from bringing up young guys next year.

Id rather have lilja... at 1.1 mil after his bonus... thats so garbage!

His bonus is what makes the deal appealing, since he is bonus eligible at the end of the season if we have cap space left over it can be used on this year's cap if not it can roll over to next year (if he even reaches the bonus goals). If the full salary had to be included in this year's cap hit it would be much more unpalatable.

I am getting very excited about this season, first we land Modano and make arguably the most potent 3rd line in the league, then we go out and get exactly what we were looking for in a 3rd-pair defenseman, someone who hits, clears the crease, and can actually mentor Ericsson/Kindl and fits our budget. Once we get Darth Kader's contract done we will be all set, let Meech, Miller & Ritola battle it out for the last roster spot, and bring Lord Stanley back home.

Damn, this came out of left field.

I thought this guys back was ruined though. If he stays healthy and teaches BigRig how to break teeth outta people heads when they're anywhere near Howie/Ozzie, I'm good with this signing.

He missed 56 games last year with a back injury. Also he's 36 years old.

I wouldn't call him a soft player, because he is physical, but he never fights and is coming off a serious injury.

I guess the Wings figured he's cheap and they didn't want to sign anyone else for some reason. This seems like more of a Babcock move than a Holland one.

Also, it's funny how people here are attacking anyone who's willing to disagree with this signing. Apparently we can't have opinions around here anymore. It's not a terrible signing, but not a good one either. Hopefully it'll turn out better than it looks. Kind of like Markov in 2007.

Don't see why people are upset. He's dirt cheap, he's mean, he can hit. He's a better Lilja and cheaper. He could complement Ericsson really well and help his development along. And he's probably eager to play for a quality team. What is the issue here?

The main issue is his health and his age. Those are good issues to worry about.

I'm hoping this signing will come as a good surprise to many here (self included). Salei's a decent physical dman, not a huge hitter, but plays the body well along the boards and is willing to block shots. He's also got a bit of a mean edge to him, and let's face it, we could use a decent pair of balls on defense. Aside from that, his offense is imo an improvement to Lilja's. As others here have pointed out, the primary concern is age/injury.. however, he's had damned near a year to heal up and a good summer of training. He should make a decent #5-7 to compete with Ericsson and Kindl (and Meech?) for a roster spot. He could also be good for a playoff run.. and hey, Babs has experience with him.

Guest mindfly

Kronwall, Franzen (coming off mega injuries), Zetterberg, Rafalski... the latter two also had problems with their backs, rafalski had an herniated disk but that was in the offseason so we didn't notice it as much and he's been healthy since, zetterberg with his yearly backspasms...

He's 35, 36 later in this year, he's old but it's not like he's 38/39...

Give it a rest.

Kronwall, Franzen (coming off mega injuries), Zetterberg, Rafalski... the latter two also had problems with their backs, rafalski had an herniated disk but that was in the offseason so we didn't notice it as much and he's been healthy since, zetterberg with his yearly backspasms...

He's 35, 36 later in this year, he's old but it's not like he's 38/39...

Give it a rest.

It's easier for younger players to heal. And even those guys have shown rust coming back from injuries in the past. Kronwall was never the same last year after his injury. And I hope to God that he's better defensively than your boy Rafalski.

If we were going to sign a Russian, I wish we'd have gone with this man.

ivan_drago_justice.jpg

Yeah, I know Salei is from Belarus, but he did play for Russia once and for all intents and purposes is still somewhat Russian. :D

Edited by GMRwings1983

He missed 56 games last year with a back injury. Also he's 36 years old.

I wouldn't call him a soft player, because he is physical, but he never fights and is coming off a serious injury.

I guess the Wings figured he's cheap and they didn't want to sign anyone else for some reason. This seems like more of a Babcock move than a Holland one.

Also, it's funny how people here are attacking anyone who's willing to disagree with this signing. Apparently we can't have opinions around here anymore. It's not a terrible signing, but not a good one either. Hopefully it'll turn out better than it looks. Kind of like Markov in 2007.

The main issue is his health and his age. Those are good issues to worry about.

I like the signing. To me it's more of a commitment to develop players and I like that. The Wings obviously feel that it is worth it to go with a more budget player in order to hang on to as many prospects as possible. I really don't think health is an issue. He'll be getting third pair minutes. He's mean as hell. Meaner than Mitchell imo. Just the guy you want hanging around Ericsson and Kindl.

I for one, am a HUGE fan of this signing. I have always wanted Salei here for some weird reason and I truly feel that he will be the perfect guy for Ericsson and Kindl to switch in and out of the lineup with.

Lets get this season started...our team is SET...

other than losing atleast one of Miller Meech and Ritola...but thats besides the point...

GO SALEI!

:thumbup:

Not a fan of this. Would have way rather seen Lilja back, especially after he fought so hard to recover from his injury. Salei hasn't played a full season since 2006 :o, and frankly is just too old. Whats the average age of our defensive core now, 37?

*sigh*

I'm with you on this one. I'm not sure this is an improvement. At least with Andreas, we knew pretty much what we were getting and what we had. This is an unknown quantity, injury wise and otherise. I'm kinda scratching my head on this one.

Meantime, I'm gonna miss Lils...he was always a hard worker, good attitude, worked hard to make his way back, and he gets kicked to the curb. Wherever he lands, I wish him nothing but good fortune, and good journeys.

I actually really like this move. I was hoping for a Salei/McKee type d-man if Lilja was out of the picture.

Mitchell would have been terrific, but I always thought he was going to end up out of the Red Wings price range even with the injury history. Salei is a nice fit for the bottom pairing and hopefully will mentor Ericsson to a strong season.

The Lilja situation is more so that he didn't want to be here rather then anything else.

He wanted more opportunity then the Wings could offer. He wants to be in the top 4, and that's just not going to happen on the Wings team.