• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Wings sign Ruslan Salei

Rate this topic

I'd say about 7 to 3 in favor of a good signing to replace Lilja.

On another note, how about #22? :ph34r:

NO - It's cursed, they need to just remove it from rotation as Lebda has forever tainted it and he owes Dino a personal apology...

Edited by stevkrause

As long as they get Abbs signed I don't care who they sign. It does look like a pretty good signing for us I just hope we can get Junstin locked in SOON.

he has no arbitration rights and will be a Wing long term, no worries, it's just a formality now... my guess is that he signs a 2 year deal for 700k for this year and 1mil next year for an overall cap hit of 850k, then in 2 years, he'll get a decent raise depending on what he showed...

...if I had to guess though, I would assume Salei will wear #4 out of respect to Fischer and to be honest, I don't foresee the Wings having a #2 again for awhile and would guess that even Smith will wear something other than #2 when he gets here...

Fischer was and still is awesome, but I really don't think he or anybody else would mind Smith, or even Salei using #2. Didn't Fischer wear #8 at one time, too? I don't know... I see where you are coming from and I agree with you, but if you think about it we may be getting a bit carried away with the retired numbers and respectfully avoided numbers. Before you know it someone is going to be stuck with a really ugly number like #90 or something... oh wait. haha.

he has no arbitration rights and will be a Wing long term, no worries, it's just a formality now... my guess is that he signs a 2 year deal for 700k for this year and 1mil next year for an overall cap hit of 850k, then in 2 years, he'll get a decent raise depending on what he showed...

I dont know how it works, but I recall reading that Abby can't make less than he did last season, and it may even be a percentage or something. I remember hearing he has to make close to a million, like 950k so unless I've gone crazy don't be surprised if he makes that much.

Fischer was and still is awesome, but I really don't think he or anybody else would mind Smith, or even Salei using #2. Didn't Fischer wear #8 at one time, too? I don't know... I see where you are coming from and I agree with you, but if you think about it we may be getting a bit carried away with the retired numbers and respectfully avoided numbers. Before you know it someone is going to be stuck with a really ugly number like #90 or something... oh wait. haha.

I dont know how it works, but I recall reading that Abby can't make less than he did last season, and it may even be a percentage or something. I remember hearing he has to make close to a million, like 950k so unless I've gone crazy don't be surprised if he makes that much.

Im pretty sure he has to get a minimum of a 5% raise, and is expected to be paid around what Helm is.

Im pretty sure he has to get a minimum of a 5% raise, and is expected to be paid around what Helm is.

I think Helm's is partially as high as it is because of what he did for the Wings in two extensive cup runs and being the #1 PK forward this past year. Abby doesn't really have those things to his name He should get less imo, but we'll see. Maybe he'll throw around the fact that he's a second round pick or something.

If I had to guess, I would guess 2 or 4 as well, keep in mind, Salei will only be here for a year, so he could still wear #2 this year and Smith could take it in a year or 2 when he comes on board if he wanted... if I had to guess though, I would assume Salei will wear #4 out of respect to Fischer and to be honest, I don't foresee the Wings having a #2 again for awhile and would guess that even Smith will wear something other than #2 when he gets here...

Since Ulf Samuelsson no one can really wear the #2 correctly... hehe.gif He could probably take 21 though or even 3 considering Lillypads is gone.

Didn't Fischer wear #8 at one time, too?

Fisch actually wore 8 after he first wore 2. Sure miss that big bastard.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't think he was awful by any means but he didn't set himself apart and win a spot on the roster is what I meant. He had an opportunity to make them set Lebda or Lilja and he was just "ok". After the way Quincey played in the playoffs for the Wings a few years back I was shocked we kept Meech over him also (though I would have dumped Chelios). He's an ok player but for him to get a raise I'd rather let him go and sign someone cheaper (as they did in Salei) as I don't think he'll ever be anything more than he showed last year.

I agree. Meech is a final pairing Dman at best. He doesn't have the offensive skills to break into a 3rd-4th line defenseman on a stanley cup caliber team.

what do you guys feel about these d-combos?

Lidstrom, Kronwall

Rafalski, Salei

Stuart, Ericsson/Kindl

I like it a lot myself...thoughts?

:thumbup:

Stuart and Ericsson should never be on the ice at the same time. Both of them played their worst hockey with each other last year. I like the idea of switching Raffi and Kronner though.

Stuart and Ericsson should never be on the ice at the same time. Both of them played their worst hockey with each other last year. I like the idea of switching Raffi and Kronner though.

Thank you. People seem to forget that dark period when, if they were on the ice together, the puck was in our net.

Ericsson-Lidstrom (Watching Game 1 ANA/DET 09, Ericsson was great with Lids)

Rafalski-Kronwall (Could be decent)

Stuart-Salei (Two steady, hard hitting dudes)

Maybe, who knows. Babs is gonna do what he's gonna do, but please god no Stuart-Ericsson haha.

If I remember correctly, Salei has never been an adept skater, and is known for taking dumb penalties from time to time.

Many posters here have adamantly criticized others who have wanted a tough defenseman of some kind, for the same reasons as those I listed above. Yet those same posters have praised Salei without reserve.

Hypocrites?

If I remember correctly, Salei has never been an adept skater, and is known for taking dumb penalties from time to time.

Many posters here have adamantly criticized others who have wanted a tough defenseman of some kind, for the same reasons as those I listed above. Yet those same posters have praised Salei without reserve.

Hypocrites?

Maybe because Salei has some all-around ability?

EDIT: Specifically, he can do just fine handling the puck for his role.

Edited by titanium2

Maybe because Salei has some all-around ability?

Name me one Stanley Cup we won where we "needed" our 3rd pairing to produce offensively?

I can't think of any.

I don't think we signed him for his offense any more than we did Bob Rouse, Andreas Lija or anyone else who played on our 3rd pairing in past years. He was brought in for his defensive play more than anything else.

All around play is what guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall log the big icetime for.

Guest mindfly

Name me one Stanley Cup we won where we "needed" our 3rd pairing to produce offensively?

I can't think of any.

I don't think we signed him for his offense any more than we did Bob Rouse, Andreas Lija or anyone else who played on our 3rd pairing in past years. He was brought in for his defensive play more than anything else.

All around play is what guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall log the big icetime for.

You wouldn't be happy with a wings' signing if unless they are Boogaard's, Worrel's and just plain goons.. (and yeah physical hard playing NA's but to get them you must trade pavel/zetterberg etc)

Edited by mindfly

I can't think of any.

I think he means that this guy can be tough while also playing a solid game. Anti-enforcers don't want the type who is capable of nothing more then fighting. He didn't say he expects Salei to put up as many points as Kronwall or Lidstrom...

Edited by cupforwings