317 replies to this topic

#181 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

That's where I'm at with it.

He's basically another Lilja, but for cheaper. so I guess that's good. But instead of Lilja's noggin we've got Salei's wonky back, and he fights just as poorly. I'm also curious if he'll play with as much of an edge on a Wings team that doesn't have as much sandpaper as a team like the Ducks did (which is where he was playing the last time I really saw him play much).

Thinking positive, hopefully he'll stay healthy, play with a mean streak, clear the crease and teach Ericsson to do the same.

I can't say I'm that excited, but I'm glad Holland made a move so we can cut ties with Meech.

The biggest difference between Lilja and Salei is the nature of injuries they are recovering from. There's a pretty big gap between back surgery and concussion syndrome. That kinda gives Salei the edge imo. Seems like players recovering from concussions are never quite the same.

Edited by Broken 16, 09 August 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#182 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

He missed 56 games last year with a back injury. Also he's 36 years old.

I wouldn't call him a soft player, because he is physical, but he never fights and is coming off a serious injury.

As a player, I'd be more intimidated by a big hitter than a fighter. I could always choose not to fight. It's much harder to avoid getting leveled. Thus, a hitter > fighter in my eyes.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#183 Zeowingsfan

Zeowingsfan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hmmm. Not sure I liked this signing on first reading about it when I ft home tonite. After reading about it here I gotta say I feel more confident about it. At first my reaction was "why the hell are we signing a broken defensman ?"

Few questions: righty or lefty? I hope he's a righty.
Is ritola on a two way contract which would allow him to play in the minors without being subject to waivers, ala abdelkader last year?
Is kindl out of minor league options? Or can he be sent down without waivers too?
If ritola can be sent down with no issues, then look for Kenny to put him there (which is what I thought it was for ritola). I haven't read one thing on the boards this summer that pinned these issues down. If kindl is out of options, what's the point of having salei? I'm hoping for some informed responses...

Ritola and Kindl are out of options and are subject to waivers. Ritola has a 2-way on the first year of his contract, but like any 2-way deal it only affects how much he gets paid in the minors and nothing to do with waivers. Salei is meant to be a steadying force on the 3rd pairing and to make sure that our 3rd pairing does not start out as Ericsson and Kindl. He is a stay at home defenceman which is something we needed to get to replace Lilja.

Edit: Salei is a lefty.

Edited by Zeowingsfan, 09 August 2010 - 09:48 PM.

The logo on the front is always more important than the name on the back

#184 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hmmm. Not sure I liked this signing on first reading about it when I ft home tonite. After reading about it here I gotta say I feel more confident about it. At first my reaction was "why the hell are we signing a broken defensman ?"

Is ritola on a two way contract which would allow him to play in the minors without being subject to waivers, ala abdelkader last year?
Is kindl out of minor league options? Or can he be sent down without waivers too?
If ritola can be sent down with no issues, then look for Kenny to put him there (which is what I thought it was for ritola). I haven't read one thing on the boards this summer that pinned these issues down. If kindl is out of options, what's the point of having salei? I'm hoping for some informed responses...

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#185 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thank you. This helps immensely. Except for the fact that ritola and kindl are screwed warming the bench, or that Miller is gone. Either way we have a metric s*** ton of players for bottom lines. I take it that this is all going to be ironed out in camp. Sad to see either ritola or Miller go, but don't let the door hit ya meech.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#186 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Kronwall, Franzen (coming off mega injuries), Zetterberg, Rafalski... the latter two also had problems with their backs, rafalski had an herniated disk but that was in the offseason so we didn't notice it as much and he's been healthy since, zetterberg with his yearly backspasms...

He's 35, 36 later in this year, he's old but it's not like he's 38/39...

Give it a rest.

WHO ARE YOU?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#187 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

But as Chicago has proven, you can never have too much depth.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#188 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Edit... double post. And thank you for the image... easy enough to see he's lefty. Its hard for those of us who are so addicted to the boards that they check them on mobile phones... not so easy to get that info.

Edited by swedishconnection, 09 August 2010 - 10:08 PM.

Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#189 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

The biggest difference between Lilja and Salei is the nature of injuries they are recovering from. There's a pretty big gap between back surgery and concussion syndrome. That kinda gives Salei the edge imo. Seems like players recovering from concussions are never quite the same.

Partially because one concussion makes you more vulnerable for another one right? At least that's what I remember Brad Stuart saying.

#190 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

I hear ya. There's definitely nothing more serious than a brain injury, but hockey takes so much core strength that back problems can ruin a guys game too.

#191 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

He is now just the 3rd player ever to wear a Wings and Avalanche jersey in his career. Who can name the others??

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#192 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

He is now just the 3rd player ever to wear a Wings and Avalanche jersey in his career. Who can name the others??

Uwe Krupp and Kyle Quincey. All d-men, go figure.

#NOMOREKINDL

#193 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

Uwe Krupp, Brad May, Kyle Quincey, Todd Gill. He is the 5th.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#194 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

oh snap!
be about it!

#195 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Well this was...unexpected.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#196 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

WHO ARE YOU?

I'm thinking mindfly got laid recently................. A LOT

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#197 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Uwe Krupp, Brad May, Kyle Quincey, Todd Gill. He is the 5th.

6th.

Andreas Lilja wore a Colorado sweater for a short time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#198 WMUCarGuy

WMUCarGuy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Unfortunately Ritola will have to clear waivers to be sent down (which means we'd most likely lose him if we did so).

#199 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

im confused i do not know much about this guy. iv been hearing a bunch of diff stuff from people on here like hes such a *****
His he a hitter?
his he an offencive or defencive defencemen?
is he an upgrade on lilja if they were both the same price and both stayed heathly
around how manny points will he get?

thx
Posted Image

#200 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

As a player, I'd be more intimidated by a big hitter than a fighter. I could always choose not to fight. It's much harder to avoid getting leveled. Thus, a hitter > fighter in my eyes.

Plus big hitters make a much larger impact in the playoffs where fights are pretty scarce. Kronwall's hits are capable of swinging the momentum of a playoff game and that's a valuable asset to have.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft