• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#101 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Happy with this signing. A lot better than some of the names being mentioned like Kraijcek, Schubert etc.

#102 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

The veteran defenseman needed to anchor the 3rd pairing. Fair enough and not a bad choice really as long as he stays healthy.

#103 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

For the price, it's fine. He won't be asked to play Lidstrom or Pronger-type minutes, and he can chip in a few points. The only question is whether or not he stays healthy, and if he does, whether or not he still gets his nose as dirty as he used to.

#104 DangleDangleBeach

DangleDangleBeach

BIG PAV DANGLE HARD

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

salei plays mean... brings an element to our third pairing and team for that matter that is misssing. ericcson can learn a lot from his toughness / ability to play with a chip on his shoulder. he hits, is a stay at home dmen who makes a player in front of the net pay the price. i would of rather had andy sutton, but salei sure as hell beats lilja / meech / lebda /janik bolstering our blueline. he can drop the gloves if needed too, not the best part of his game but he can whereas lilja is one punch away from being a vegetable... why have a big body with a glass jaw?

#105 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Salei will also be hungry for a Cup since he was very close to winning one with the 2003 Ducks. Going to Game 7 and losing to the Devils had to be a tough pill to swallow. Salei's value should be even better once the playoffs start. This is Salei's last chance to win a Cup so he will be very motivated. Good job Kenny.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#106 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Switch Kronwall with Nick and Stuie with Rafalski and I am all on board. Well I am anyway but just think Nick and Raf need different mates next to them.

wouldn't that just move nick and raf to the second line?=)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#107 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Salei will also be hungry for a Cup since he was very close to winning one with the 2003 Ducks. Going to Game 7 and losing to the Devils had to be a tough pill to swallow. Salei's value should be even better once the playoffs start. This is Salei's last chance to win a Cup so he will be very motivated. Good job Kenny.

It makes sense now. This is his Dallas Drake type signing for this season. Guy who plays somewhat mean but will hopefully be through the roof come playoff time.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#108 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

Spose one upside for Salei is he's pretty productive in the playoffs for a defensive defenceman.

#NOMOREKINDL

#109 Yemack

Yemack

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

this is somewhat out of the blue signing.

Edited by Yemack, 09 August 2010 - 02:16 PM.

We acquire the strength we have overcome.

#110 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

If Babs wanted him over any other guy I guess I do too. Nobody knows his game better than the guy that coached him right? He is definitely a playoff guy also.

Edited by cjm502, 09 August 2010 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#111 h2obury

h2obury

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Not quite sure what to think of this signing but I hope it works out! I guess we won't know until the puck drops.
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~Gordie Howe

#112 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I think I'd rather just go with Meech, don't like this signing one bit.

#113 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

I suppose if Lilja goes for more than 1.2 mil (including bonuses) or so, then you're right, we wouldn't have been able to sign him. But if he (or other younger, more worthwhile defensemen) ends up going for around the same price as Salei, Im gonna be a bit.....annoyed :ranting:.

This year the bonuses are really important, we don't have the cap space so it is great to be able to sign a player to a lower cap hit and then having the option to roll the bonus over to next year is they need too. So if Lils wanted $1.25M in salary that would be an extra $500K that they have to have in cap space this year which is their big concern. Additionally Lils wanted the [url="both a larger payday than the reported 1-year, $1 million offer the Wings gave him (per Greg Brady) and a guaranteed spot on a team's "top four." "]top four plac[/url]e which he wasn't going to get.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#114 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

I'd say this fits the bill in terms of what Kenny wanted. Good, cheap signing and it paves the way for them to unload the useless Derek Meech. He should have gotten the boot long ago in favor of Kyle Quincey, a move which continues to look horrible as Quincey develops into a solid offensive D-man who would look outstanding on our 3rd pair.

#115 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

wouldn't that just move nick and raf to the second line?=)

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Stuie-Rafalski

;)
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#116 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

I think I'd rather just go with Meech, don't like this signing one bit.

If I could give this post 1,000,000 negatives I would.

How can you honestly rather have Meech then an experienced defenseman, who plays mean and crease clears, can mentor Ericcson on the dirty parts of the game and get Ericcson playing mean again, who doesn't have a cup and will motivate our team hopefully like Drake did and has the blessing of the coach to be here?

Give your head a shake man

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#117 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Curt Fraser will take him in GR if need be lol
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#118 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

I really like this signing. I even like the fact that he's been suspended. It's nice to know that you have a defenseman that's capable of playing a little dirty. I'm really, really optimistic about this.

Plus the fact that this is his 2nd tour with Babcock leads me to believe Babs had some influence on this decision. It's even easier to like this signing knowing that the coach wanted this guy again.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#119 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Realistically, as long as Kenny wants to stand pat at the deadline, Detroit could even pay both Modo's and Salei's bonuses with this years' cap money. Let's say Abdelkader gets an equal deal to that of Helm (which I feel is slightly overestimating it rather than under) at a Cap-hit of $912,500. That's puts the Wings at a current Cap Payroll of $60,300,377 (or Cap Space of -$900,377). Given both Miller's and Meech's salary are removed (either through waivers or trade) Kenny then has $249,623 in Cap Space remaining for injury call-ups.

Granted its half of what he was looking for but as long as the Wings stay relatively healthy, the call-ups shouldn't take away too much of that cap space. Even if it chews up the entire almost $250k, all of a sudden the Wings have zero carry-over bonuses next year (which wouldn't be the worse thing to begin with give the current state of the team for 2011/2012).

Now, if Kenny really wants to go for broke, he could choose to apply the bonuses to next year's team and literally add a player with a cap hit of roughly $4 million at the deadline to put the team over the top if he feels its necessary.

No matter how you slice it, Kenny's assembled an incredible team with the Cap Space he's had and barring an epic meltdown of Howard, there's no reason to think this season won't be great for Wings fans.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#120 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Did this guy get suspended for his hit on Modano?

How many suspensions does he have in his career and what for?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24