• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Wings sign Ruslan Salei

Rate this topic

im confused i do not know much about this guy. iv been hearing a bunch of diff stuff from people on here like hes such a *****

His he a hitter?

his he an offencive or defencive defencemen?

is he an upgrade on lilja if they were both the same price and both stayed heathly

around how manny points will he get?

thx

He can have kind of a mean streak. He is by no means a fighter, though.

If he stays healthy, he's probably good for 15-20 points or so I'm guessing. He's broken 30 a couple times.

I don't think he'll be any worse than Lilja. I'm pretty sure he'll be better offensively than the Pain Train.

Edited by SeeinRed

I'm hoping Salei is the 5th man with a rotation between E and Kindl for the 6th spot. It gives E motivation to get his ass in gear or Kindl will take his spot. Plus, Kindl needs some playing time to develop.

Thats absolutely the way it will be. Kindl and Ericsson will battle for ice time all year long while players are healthy. When ppl get hurt they'll both get a chance to play.

I think some ppl around here are disappointed with this signing more because it means we don't get Mitchell than actually with Salei himself. I like Salei and think he brings a lot to this team and will work out great. But that doesnt mean when I first saw the news that I didn't get a little pissed. As unrealistic as the cap situation may have been to get Willie Mitchell it still seemed so much more enticing than Ruslan Salei especially with the possibility of retaining Mitchell beyond this year if the inevitable happens with Lidstrom retiring. If the Mitchell rumors had never been around I would have been pumped to read about the Salei signing. Now that it's had some time to set it I'm feeling that way. He rounds out our D corps very well and will surprise a lot of ppl on this board come this season.

Guest mindfly

It's as babcock said, they now got the top6-D that all can play 20mins a night if they have to and don't get exhausted, they don't need to "hide" anyone.. which most team's must.

Also I wonder if this guy will play the PK and perhaps let lidstrom rest from pk a bit and play more 5on5 and pp?

Edited by mindfly

I suppose if Lilja goes for more than 1.2 mil (including bonuses) or so, then you're right, we wouldn't have been able to sign him. But if he (or other younger, more worthwhile defensemen) ends up going for around the same price as Salei, Im gonna be a bit.....annoyed :ranting:.

I'll be right with you on that. I'm certain that our PK is going to go right back down the crapper without Lilja on the ice unless Salei's a prolific shot-blocker.

I'll be right with you on that. I'm certain that our PK is going to go right back down the crapper without Lilja on the ice unless Salei's a prolific shot-blocker.

I don't know that he's prolific, but it seems he's not bad.

In 2009 he had 107 hits and 143 blocked shots in 70 games. Lilja that season had 95 hits and 92 blocked shots in 60 games.

Of course, not all hits and blocked shots are equated equal so it's hard to tell from that alone. But it gives hope.

I don't know that he's prolific, but it seems he's not bad.

In 2009 he had 107 hits and 143 blocked shots in 70 games. Lilja that season had 95 hits and 92 blocked shots in 60 games.

Of course, not all hits and blocked shots are equated equal so it's hard to tell from that alone. But it gives hope.

Salei is a defensive defenseman, he will definitely be used on the PK and has a big frame as well... I think he's about on par with Lilja on that level, I just think Lilja has more durability... all and all, I would have preferred to have Lilja back, but at that cap hit, when it's reported Lilja wanted 1.5+, I have no problem with it...

Salei is a defensive defenseman, he will definitely be used on the PK and has a big frame as well... I think he's about on par with Lilja on that level, I just think Lilja has more durability... all and all, I would have preferred to have Lilja back, but at that cap hit, when it's reported Lilja wanted 1.5+, I have no problem with it...

Totally agree with this statement. My guess is the Wings offered Lilja the same $750k a year and turned it down after seeing what Lebda got. Wings turned around and offered that money to Salei. Rather have Lilja but for the money I'll take Salei.

So Kenny does it again, Modano and Salei for a combined cap hit of $2m upto $2.85m with potential bonuses.Last season this combo would have hit your cap for $6.475m or $5.525m salary. Not bad at all Ken, just lose some cap now, feel bad for the guys that will go now thou.

Guest mindfly

I think Meech would appreciate a deal to another team, i think he's a bit tired of being the extra d-man when he would have a no 5 or 6 spot on many other teams.

I think Meech would appreciate a deal to another team, i think he's a bit tired of being the extra d-man when he would have a no 5 or 6 spot on many other teams.

I'm bummed out he didn't grasp the opportunity last year!! He had a chance when Kronwall went down and didn't take advantage.

Anybody got a stat filled post "proving" that he actually "held his own"?

Don't get me wrong. I didn't think he was awful by any means but he didn't set himself apart and win a spot on the roster is what I meant. He had an opportunity to make them set Lebda or Lilja and he was just "ok". After the way Quincey played in the playoffs for the Wings a few years back I was shocked we kept Meech over him also (though I would have dumped Chelios). He's an ok player but for him to get a raise I'd rather let him go and sign someone cheaper (as they did in Salei) as I don't think he'll ever be anything more than he showed last year.

Guest Hatethedrake!

29. Bye Bye Willie.

For years I wanted Holland to get rid of Williams and always thought of this song...

Edited by Hatethedrake!

how about #4 ? Ive always loved that number for defense...and #2 but that will better suit Smith when he ends up on the Wings...

If I had to guess, I would guess 2 or 4 as well, keep in mind, Salei will only be here for a year, so he could still wear #2 this year and Smith could take it in a year or 2 when he comes on board if he wanted... if I had to guess though, I would assume Salei will wear #4 out of respect to Fischer and to be honest, I don't foresee the Wings having a #2 again for awhile and would guess that even Smith will wear something other than #2 when he gets here...

Anybody got a stat filled post "proving" that he actually "held his own"?

I remember one period (I think it was actually 2 seasons ago, not last year) where our defense was decimated by injuries to the point where Meech was getting top-pairing minutes for a few game stretch. I thought that he played incredibly well during that time.

If I had to guess, I would guess 2 or 4 as well, keep in mind, Salei will only be here for a year, so he could still wear #2 this year and Smith could take it in a year or 2 when he comes on board if he wanted... if I had to guess though, I would assume Salei will wear #4 out of respect to Fischer and to be honest, I don't foresee the Wings having a #2 again for awhile and would guess that even Smith will wear something other than #2 when he gets here...

Depending on his performance here, I wouldn't be shocked to see him re-signed for another year if he plays solid this season.

I remember one period (I think it was actually 2 seasons ago, not last year) where our defense was decimated by injuries to the point where Meech was getting top-pairing minutes for a few game stretch. I thought that he played incredibly well during that time.

I really dont think Meech is so bad, he isnt a guy you would want mentoring E or Kindl but he can get the job done.

Depending on his performance here, I wouldn't be shocked to see him re-signed for another year if he plays solid this season.

Me neither, I just assume that between Kindl, Smith, Ericsson, Lashoff, Pyett and Kolosov that at least 2 of them will be playing full time, coupled with the return of Kronwall, Stuart and Rafalski on the last year of his deal... since Nick will have retired, I think we will go after a FA to fill a top 4 role and that guy will be a top 2, or Kronwall will move into the top 2 and the new guy will go top 4 (possibly Kaberle) and then it will just be a numbers game... with that said, ALL of this goes off a lot of "what-ifs" so there's no way to know for sure, that's just the way I think it will play out...