• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FunkedUp

Designer shares idea for new rink

Rate this topic

Looks like a shot at a unique design that missed the mark on several levels. Granted this is (hopefully) a very early iteration, but not a great start. And I hate the idea of the United Center model, doing nothing really well and making for mediocre ice conditions at best.

Is this guy even a hockey fan?

Does he have a location in mind that could allow for all these ideas to function properly?

I'm having trouble getting into an idea where the designer doesn't actually know what it is like to be in an NHL arena other than input from fans.

For starters, the suites. Scouts, GMs, announcers, and other big spenders want to see all the action evenly. It is incredibly hard to know exactly what is going on at one end of the ice if you are opposite the rink. That's why center ice seats are the best. They give an overall better view than the end seats.

Also the retractable roof seems like a bad idea unless the energy savings (most games occur during night anyway and the rink has to be cool which would not be helped by a large amount of sunlight) outweigh the cost of building the roof and cooling the rink.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Also there is no way that is a 20,000 seat arena. No chance in hell.

By looking at it, I figured 14,000 max for capacity. There is hardly any end seating; you would need 80 rows along the side boards to get to 20,000. And then with his 48 inch wide rows, the balcony seating would be horrendous; way too far from the ice. I posted a few new interior shots of my New Olympia Stadium prototype that you can compare to. They aren't as clean or refined, but I think they convey a look closer to what people would actually want. You can see them here

Interior+3.jpg

New Olympia Stadium

Edited by schulzte

By looking at it, I figured 14,000 max for capacity. There is hardly any end seating; you would need 80 rows along the side boards to get to 20,000. And then with his 48 inch wide rows, the balcony seating would be horrendous; way too far from the ice. I posted a few new interior shots of my New Olympia Stadium prototype that you can compare to. They aren't as clean or refined, but I think they convey a look closer to what people would actually want. You can see them here

Interior+3.jpg

New Olympia Stadium

Google sketchup?

Interior+3.jpg

New Olympia Stadium

I've seen your site - nice work. I would approve of your new Olympia easily...

Guest scottj

You wouldnt be able to see out of it in the day anyway. All of Detroits banners would be blocking the view.

AYYYY YOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm on that "green bandwagon" myself (yes, I'm a crunchy granola type), but I can't see the reason for a retractable roof on a hockey arena. Football, maybe. Baseball, definitely. But hockey? Pointless. Plus that glass ceililng would melt the ice on a sunny day, even in the dead of winter. A hockey arena environment has to be a near-perfect blend of keeping the ice cold enough for the players to play effectively (and safely), while maintaining the comfort level of the fans. The Joe gets it right probably 95% of the time - there have just been a few games I've been to where it felt a little on the cold side, but once the other 20,000+ fans shoehorned themselves in, it was usually fine.

But I do like the wider seats (some of us are a bit larger than average...:P) with cupholders. Tray tables to hold your overpriced pizza slice would be nice, too. LOL :hehe:

Yeah, its Google Sketchup, and its the first building I ever made on it, so it isn't perfect. But I think its not bad for my first try.

Excellent work. I just wish the arena would be where the Joe sits- it's too perfect a location for those of us coming up 75.