• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FunkedUp

Designer shares idea for new rink

Rate this topic

Yeah, its Google Sketchup, and its the first building I ever made on it, so it isn't perfect. But I think its not bad for my first try.

Ever tried rendering it in revit?

I think you could transfer the sketchup models in there and then render it with lights and everything.

For starters, the suites. Scouts, GMs, announcers, and other big spenders want to see all the action evenly. It is incredibly hard to know exactly what is going on at one end of the ice if you are opposite the rink. That's why center ice seats are the best. They give an overall better view than the end seats.

Also the retractable roof seems like a bad idea unless the energy savings (most games occur during night anyway and the rink has to be cool which would not be helped by a large amount of sunlight) outweigh the cost of building the roof and cooling the rink.

I disagree. I've come to like the corner seats best, like that in the first picture.

Whenever I went to Chiliwack to watch Matt Butcher play for the Chiefs I always could spot his father Garth in the corner seats. We'd go over and say hello and he said the corner seats were the best for watching the play develop. At first I just thought it was because as an NHL defensemen, he was more used to seeing the game as it came at him...but then I just realized that he was right, thats all.

And for the Wings pregame warm-up, go stand directly behind the goal; unbeleivable.

That would be an awesome college, AHL, or foriegn hockey stadium. But For the Wings...no. Too many suites, not enough regular seating. The glass roof could cause a glare during day games, and lighting strikes on stormy nights would cause as a distraction. The Wings need a stadium that will always look full, and always sounds loud.

Yeah, its Google Sketchup, and its the first building I ever made on it, so it isn't perfect. But I think its not bad for my first try.

Yours is a MUCH better choice than the proposed mock up. As someone else said, those rows of seating would have to be VERY high up to accommodate 20,000. While The Joe is old and outdated, the biggest perk of the place, aside from history, is that there isn't a bad seat in it for any event. Also I think that the steps/seating rows are way too steep...the expansion of seat space and leg room furthers the higher rows argument.

The Joe was planned and constructed masterfully. Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping The Joe and giving it an updated face lift. A new Olympia would be my strong second choice even though I'm too young to have any memory of the the Olympia.

Edited by Nic

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Joe was designed masterfully...it didn't even have a press box when it opened. However, it does provide simple, good viewing for 20,000 fans and the upper bowl isn't in the stratosphere with two levels of suites below to push it higher. I think the New Olympia plan provides enough suites and club seats without sacrificing the experience for the majority of the fans, like many arenas do, including the one proposed by the architects featured in the Detroit News.

New Olympia Stadium

How about they revamp Joe Louis and let the Pistons play there, then build the new Olympia and the Wings will play there!

I doubt they would shell out the cash for that, but one can dream.

I don't really have a preference for where to sit in an arena other than high up in the opponent's shoot twice end. Even at the Joe, those seats are a long way from the action when there is a power play on the opposite end of the ice. If your going to be high up in the arena, center ice is better. In the lower bowl, center ice or the home shoots twice end is best. The good thing about the New Olympia design is that those highest end seats are pushed closer to the ice horizontally, so they are closer to the ice than at the Joe. The third level on the ends would be pretty steep and feel like they are hanging over the ice.

New Olympia Stadium

With illitch trying to buy the pistons is anyone else as nervous as I am about ice quality? With Pistons one day and wings the next or worse yet one in afternoon the other that night we could end up with crappy ice like a lot of the NHL teams!

Guest Datsyukian Deke 13

Is this guy even a hockey fan?

Does he have a location in mind that could allow for all these ideas to function properly?

I'm having trouble getting into an idea where the designer doesn't actually know what it is like to be in an NHL arena other than input from fans.

For starters, the suites. Scouts, GMs, announcers, and other big spenders want to see all the action evenly. It is incredibly hard to know exactly what is going on at one end of the ice if you are opposite the rink. That's why center ice seats are the best. They give an overall better view than the end seats.

Also the retractable roof seems like a bad idea unless the energy savings (most games occur during night anyway and the rink has to be cool which would not be helped by a large amount of sunlight) outweigh the cost of building the roof and cooling the rink.

This is was my initial reaction. I feel like the average hockey fan would not like that kind of rink....especially red wings fans who appreciate the "old barn" feel to Joe Louis.

On a side note, your avatar and signature are awesome. Tombstone is a good movie

Guest scottj

With illitch trying to buy the pistons is anyone else as nervous as I am about ice quality? With Pistons one day and wings the next or worse yet one in afternoon the other that night we could end up with crappy ice like a lot of the NHL teams!

yeah, that's my only concern with them sharing an arena... otherwise, as long as there's "no bad seat in the house" then I'm fine with it.

I've always liked Schulzte's concept of a New Olympia :thumbup:

Agreed.

To be blunt, I think the design laid out in the Detroit News article, well.... sucks. Give me a modernized Olympia rendition any day. I don't particularly care for the exact old-school roof structure, and a more rounded design. I'm thinking more old-school brick look and architecture on the outside to pay homage to the old Olympia, not an exact copy. Acoustics would be big in my mind as well (hence the "fans on top of the action" emphasis).

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Joe was designed masterfully...it didn't even have a press box when it opened. However, it does provide simple, good viewing for 20,000 fans and the upper bowl isn't in the stratosphere with two levels of suites below to push it higher. I think the New Olympia plan provides enough suites and club seats without sacrificing the experience for the majority of the fans, like many arenas do, including the one proposed by the architects featured in the Detroit News.

New Olympia Stadium

While I agree that 'masterfully' was overstretching, In a commonplace fan's perspective, it means more. For those of us who are lucky to catch a handful of actually attended games in a lifetime and can follow the puck and see jersey numbers from the 'nosebleeds'...the Joe's construction is appreciated, while the perception of the proposed idea...not quite.

Also, your ideas come closer to 'masterfully'. Just saying. You keep a fan's perspective in mind. no brown nosing here.

Edited by Nic

While I agree that 'masterfully' was overstretching, In a commonplace fan's perspective, it means more. For those of us who are lucky to catch a handful of actually attended games in a lifetime and can follow the puck and see jersey numbers from the 'nosebleeds'...the Joe's construction is appreciated, while the perception of the proposed idea...not quite.

Also, your ideas come closer to 'masterfully'. Just saying. You keep a fan's perspective in mind. no brown nosing here.

The Joe is about as close to a perfect arena for watching a game as I've ever been in. I've been in the very last row of the upper bowl, to the point I put the back of my head into the concrete below the press box, and I could still see great. That was game 5 of the '08 WCF against Dallas.

The only one that comes really close was the old Sports Arena, the home of the Toledo Storm. Right on top of the action, small arena, overall perfect.

Also, it makes it harder to schedule playoff games.

Also, it makes it harder to schedule playoff games.

My thought is that the Palace could be the main concert venue from October-May, with the sports events and some other events held downtown during that time. The major events could then move downtown after the playoffs end until sports seasons begin once again. The Palace could close down for the summer to save costs, because DTE will get lots of concerts too. The lower bowl of the Palace could even be reconfigured to have more seating directed toward the stage instead of the playing surface. As much as I would like to see a new building downtown, completely abandoning the Palace would be such a waste. I think the venues managed together could both succeed.

New Olympia Stadium

Guest scottj

they look perfectly normal to me lol... so what happened to them? years of wear n tear or a drunk guy n cement?